any fans of the Bascom AVR ?

vasquo:
Ahhhh... this brings back memories...
Microsoft C vs. Borland C.
PBasic vs. QuickBasic
Visicalc vs Lotus 123
:grin:

If you have such memories it means you are no longer young. You are 40+ at least, but likely more.
It is highly unlikely you a interested in playing with "arduino" which is a toy for kids.

I picked Arduino because of the easier learning curve, and the fact that it's available on OSX.
Not to mention a good number of libraries available for it.
And any C/C++ code out there, can be easily adapted for it.
Object oriented programming is also a big plus.

Also this text you wrote sounds as standard advertising, pure publicity. It is self evident you are interested in selling not working with "arduino".

Simplex, your shtick is getting rather old and tiresome. We get your a fanboy for Bascom AVR and you feel it's the greatest software platform every made for AVR chips. And that the Arduino IDE is brain dead and not worth your time of day. So now that you have made you point of view well known here, why keep beating the same drum over and over? We need to hear different tunes from you or consider just moving on to the next forum to spread your wisdom. May I suggest the AVR section of the AVRfreaks website?

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=3&sid=7df154c3426fc0f09a8432878e8cef94

Lefty

retrolefty:
May I suggest the AVR section of the AVRfreaks website?

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=3&sid=7df154c3426fc0f09a8432878e8cef94

Lefty

Now that's just mean.

I remember reading on an automotive website an annoying kid kept asking stupid questions, not listening or even reading the advice being given, and finally one guy suggested to him that to test his ignition he should put his tongue on a sparkplug while someone cranked the engine.

I thought that was the cruellest thing I'd ever come across on the Internet. Until now.

retrolefty:
May I suggest the AVR section of the AVRfreaks website?

That forum is moderated by a guy, Dean Camera, who works for Atmel in Trondheim, Norway. (still hope it is not you).
Take a look here for more information: http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/AboutMe.php
Most of the messages on avrfreaks are written by him under various names (a list can be provided at request). If I go there I will just argue with him hiding behind 10 names. It is useless.

Also this text you wrote sounds as standard advertising, pure publicity.

That's your best comback?

No, I don't make my living on Arduino, or selling Arduino, or selling shields or whatever.
I don't have any financial gain with regards to how Arduino performs.
What I said is the truth.... and the truth hurts when Bascom can't deliver on most of these points.

I picked Arduino because of the easier learning curve, and the fact that it's available on OSX.
Is Bascom also available for OSX?
or do you consider OSX also a "toy" ?

Not to mention a good number of libraries available for it.
Yup. Show me on github libraries for Bascom.
I did a search on github and the Bascom results are pathetic.
What libraries/subroutines are available for Bascom?

Pffft.... need I say more. It's the truth. BASIC language will never be C++.

I learned BASIC decades ago... 8th grade.
BASIC is great for beginners just starting to learn programming.
B.A.S.I.C. - Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code
So you saying Arduino (C++ based) is a toy, while the Bascom (Basic based) isn't, is laughable. It's L to the O.L.

Marketing and support
What other companies makes products/libraries for Bascom?
Marketing is non-existent....
except you, the micro-skirt wearing cheerleader -- but you're giving Bascom a bad reputation.

I have no loyalties to the Arduino IDE.
If Bascom is truly better, how can you convince me, in a rational way, to jump-ship and go for the Bascom IDE.

simplex:
Most of the messages on avrfreaks are written by him under various names (a list can be provided at request).

Please provide the list of the various names Dean uses to write all the avrfreaks messages!

This is a request.

vasquo:
Pffft.... need I say more. It's the truth. BASIC language will never be C++.

I learned BASIC decades ago... 8th grade.
BASIC is great for beginners just starting to learn programming.
B.A.S.I.C. - Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code
So you saying Arduino (C++ based) is a toy, while the Bascom (Basic based) isn't, is laughable. It's L to the O.L.

Unfortunately these arguments under this heading are nothing more than Bascom isn't any good because its not C. Ford isn't any good because its not Chevy. Chinese ain't no good because its not American...

BASIC is a vey useful and powerful language that has as its parents CoBOL and ForTran. Bet you didn't know that. It was developed for calculations and output. C was developed for system development. For things like compilers and operating systems. C++ was developed to make C do the things that BASIC does.

Poorly written code in BASIC and poorly written code in C are both useless when it comes time to maintain them. Some C programmers seems to take pride in the fact they can write unreadable code. Some BASIC programmers need some training and they can write clean code.

One language is hardly better than the other. Each has benefits and liabilities. I find it much harder to remember the C syntax - and some of it seems to have been written for its terseness and nothing else... The same aguments are also out there for Visual BASIC - VB6 vs. .NET. You are aguing over things that are purely opinion. WHile you are entitled to your opinion, lets admit that it is purely opinion and not use opinion as the basis for declaring the other guys brand as inferior.

Oh - It's not C is not a valid reason for saying another language is crap. ( might even be a benefit...)

Gentleman. we are now just continuing to feed the troll. Simplex did not come here to learn anything new about the Arduino platform or from it's users. He has made his point of view clear and is not going to change his POV regardless of what any of us have to say about Bascom AVR or Arduino. So what is the point of responding to his further posts? Ignore him and he will soon move on I suspect.

Lefty

I misspoke.
I meant -
"Basic language will never be Object Oriented (like C++)"

carry on...

Dean Camera writes on avrfreaks forum using the following important names:
abcminiuser, Kartman, clawson, js, JohanEkdahl, kk6gm, alexan_e, theusch

retrolefty:
Ignore him and he will soon move on I suspect.

Well, I still want that list!

Also, how do we know he's not actually Alex Jones, using a pseudonym?

In any case, I find this thread quite fascinating. Are there really people still programming in BASIC in this day and age? It's like banging rocks together to make a fire.

The whole thread is so bizarre, it is quite compelling, in a morbid sort of way...

simplex:
Dean Camera writes on avrfreaks forum using the following important names:
abcminiuser

This is uncontroversial. It's well known that "abcminiuser" is Dean Camera's AVRFreaks handle.

, Kartman, clawson, js, JohanEkdahl, kk6gm, alexan_e, theusch

OTOH, what possible evidence do you have for this?

Also "pico" in Dean Camera on arduino forum!

pico:

retrolefty:
Ignore him and he will soon move on I suspect.

Well, I still want that list!

Why, it's a figment of his imagination, let the troll go his way.

Also, how do we know he's not actually Alex Jones, using a pseudonym?

We know nothing about him, other then his POV on Bascom AVR and the Arduino platform.

In any case, I find this thread quite fascinating. Are there really people still programming in BASIC in this day and age? It's like banging rocks together to make a fire.

Sure, there are many people who still personally like to use the Basic language and that is as it should be. There is a very active product/platform/user's forum for the Picaxe chips and they do fun and impressive stuff with those chips just as the arduino users do. No reason to look down on them or the Basic language.

The whole thread is so bizarre, it is quite compelling, in a morbid sort of way...

That is the mark of a successful troll performing his art form.

Lefty

OK, I'm discovered!

But I can prove you are Alex Jones!

Simplex is an obvious anagram of 'LEX IS PM

--an obvious reference to Alex's well-known political ambitions in the UK.

Also, if you play "Simplex" backwards on a 33 1/3 vinyl LP it says "I am Alex".

How do explain that, eh Alex?

retrolefty:
There is a very active product/platform/user's forum for the Picaxe chips and they do fun and impressive stuff with those chips just as the arduino users do. No reason to look down on them or the Basic language.

Well, I'm sure there are people out there doing fun and impressive stuff banging rocks together, too. But it's still banging rocks together.

Dean Camera's (avrfreaks forum moderator) names used on arduino forum:

pico, retrolefty

BASIC is a vey useful and powerful language that has as its parents CoBOL and ForTran. Bet you didn't know that. It was developed for calculations and output.

I know all that.
Basic is easy, that's why it's the first language taught in school back in the days of Apple II.
Later, they tried to clean it up by removing line numbers, and implementing subroutines/function but it's still a hot mess.
Basic had it's heyday in computing history, but it's time to move on.

I know Fortran - Formula Translation - did some programming on that in CP/M on Apple II.
I know Cobol too - that god awful language. Programmed IBM mainframes in CICS/COBOL/MVS to write reports, compute your daily interest and account balances. Also did bill payment systems, so you can pay your bills directly via the ATM... glue in the backend is that freaking Cobol language. Some banks are very resistant and afraid of change even in the early 90s... still using Cobol. Working in banking IT will suck the life out of your soul. Stay away. :slight_smile:

Willy-waving and nay-saying.
Nothing to see here.
Thread locked.