Rc controlled robot

Let me be a little more specific.
I want to control 2 motors that power gearboxes which in turn power my rc car.
I need to a range of about a standard gym
I want to control it with my rc remote that i have already.
I need help finding what arduino board i can use to make this happen. So I need it to be wireless controlled by the remote so i can control the motors.

Update: I would like to use the (Velleman Motor Power Shield Kit for Arduino KA03)
now how do i get that to be wirelessly controlled by my rc remote

Best selection of RC gear here http://www.towerhobbies.com/

Maybe you could even get away with a few rf buttons like these? You might not even need a microcontroller. (Note to self: quick project for the weekend after parkrun.)

(Not needing "extreme range".... what does that mean? Better to say what range you do need, with a number.)

Damn, my rf button thingy's not working for some reason, so can't experiment. The key fob's showing its led for transmission, but the other end's not working.

Attached is a photo of a radio pack I made for a robot. Essentially it's just guts of an old RC car on a battery pack. What the pack does for me when attached to my arduino is it allows me to use my rc car remote control to provide 4 different logic level pins that go HIGH when i use each of the different controls. You can program the 4 different HIGH's to each mean something like both motors move the bot forward, backward, left, or right... you can control the robot or use for many other future projects. I got the battery pack from sparkfun and hot glued the two components you see onto it. The components on it are the guts of an old RC car that supplied an h-bridge source to the rear wheels(the transistors side and where I plugged the power into) and also powered a servo for the front wheels to turn(the 4 uncovered pins that has a common ground, positive and a pin for the left and right). The battery pack is actually a 4AA battery pack with a on/off switch which is useful however because I decided to use it at logic level voltage (5vdc) I needed to reduce the voltage so I shorted 1 of the battery slots using a small wire thus making it a 3AA battery pack. Since each AA battery is a little over 1.5VDC when fully charged this makes the power supply within logic level high(was around 4.8vdc fully charged and logic high is between 3-5.5 generally). if pressing the forward, back, left, or right on my remote it signals for a single pin on the receiver to go HIGH (the 4.8vdc that is sourced from the batteries). using a multimeter, I found which pins go high with reference to the common ground pin and hooked those up to my arduino as a digital read and also connected the common ground of the receiver to ground on the arduino. Additionally, it is very good to research "pull-down" resistors if you want to use this since my arduino has very high impedance when set as input/digital read, this is because the digital read only uses a small amount of the current each read, making the wire actually stay HIGH for longer than needed. Learning to use a pull-down resister to ground(often a 10k) fixes that. This could be very useful to you if you have or can get ahold of an old rc car and remote. It's not the only way to do it however I've used this setup for a few different remote control projects.

20160424_194336[1].jpg

If you want to use arduino i'm testing this module "NRF24L01+"
It's a 2.4GHz module, it can have a pcb antenna or a external one (that gives much more range).
It's really cheap (only 2 or 3 €) and really usefull