is there a "Position sensor"

Hi
Is there a way to know the position off an arduino / sensor within a limited area say about 100 * 100 m?
The accuracy needed to be 0-0,5 m
GPS is not accurate enough and I believe that it not possible to get that accuracy with the GPS modules available for me on Arduino
My approach is to put some kind off transmitters on known positions within or close to the area, I believe that three is the minimum if you only can get a direction from the Arduino to a transmitter, and tow if you can get the distance or both.
Are there any hardware/sensors that may be used to do this, I believe there must be if price was not an issue, but as it is, is there any with a price tag suiting a limited budget?
/HansP

Pozyx
May or may not fit within the unspecified limits of your budget.

Depending on whether you are talking about a static area, or the allusive, cheap, sub-centimeter GPS, There may be a relatively cheap solution. If it's a static space, and relatively unobstructed, you could put receivers, maybe 433mhz, at cardinal points around the space with a transceiver as your location point. Then by taking a roll of signal strength readings, and with proper calibration and known uncertainty, you could get a pretty accurate location reading.
As far as sub-centimeter dynamic location GPS, about the only way you can do this cheaply is to take a reading from 3 GPS sensors that hold a static distance from one another and then average using tricky algorithms.
Hope that helps.

you could get a pretty accurate location reading.

Not really. Anyone who has actually experimented with signal strength measurements knows that the method doesn't work.

If there were a cheap and accurate positioning solution, you would be able to buy it on eBay for next to nothing. This question gets asked every couple of days on the forum.

Signal strength meters basically measure multipath interference and polarization (more than actual distance),
which is why time-of-flight is much superior. Ultrasound time-of-flight works well over a limited range, UWB
time-of-flight systems like Pozyx are on the rise and probably a good solution here, assuming good line-of-sight
is available - they are the electromagnetic equivalent of ultrasound sensors but better in several ways.

Expensive still though...

jremington:
Not really. Anyone who has actually experimented with signal strength measurements knows that the method doesn't work.

I actually use this method to measure the position of commercial trucks in a lot. Not sure why you are saying out right that this method "doesn't work".
I have 18 trancievers on 17 trucks and a maintenance car, and a small program showing their position within a couple feet.

I have 18 trancievers on 17 trucks and a maintenance car, and a small program showing their position within a couple feet.

And you expect us to believe that this works on signal strength alone?

Not a chance. If you believe that, you have been misled.

The SX1280 LoRa device will do time of flight measurements at 2.4Ghz.

Its at its best at long distances, 100m plus maybe, but you wont get 0.5m resolution, mybe 3-5M at that distance.

It can measure up to 89km;

Is the position to be monitored constantly, over a long period? Or just briefly, as in a 10 seconds search? Might affect possible solutions.

Allso, a more detailled description of the usage might generate better solutions. Is this to locate a lost drone? A pet in a field? Two competating bikers?

Just some thoughts! Have you thought of radio direction finder technology? You can do it with two transmitters if they are on the same border of the area you working with, corners work best. This should be doable with some very lower power receiver and transmitters.
Good Luck, Have Fun!
Gil