Turn a three phase motor on or off

There are a few videos and posts from people controlling the speed and direction of three phase motors. I don't really need it to be that complicated. I simply want to be able to turn the motor on and off at a certain time of day.

How do I go about doing something like that?

If its already all wired up already, then look for an opto coupled relay circuit

Depending on the size of the motor it may have a control panel with a contractor , which you can drive with a relay. Or you could fit such parts

Can I just use these to turn a three phase motor on and off?

Probably not. Realistically, to get a valid answer, you need to provide valid information. “Three phase motor” is pretty meaningless since you don’t provide voltage, current or power information.

A proper motor starter with thermal overload protection is the correct way to control a motor for on/off operation.

It is an old water pump(at least 20-30 years old) that has been sitting 20 meters deep down in a well . The plate with the current andpower infromation is unreadable and I have no one to ask about it. After the electric meter there are fuses for each of the phases then a breaker and then a solid state relay to turn the pump on off.

That solid state relay might be a good interface point .

hammy:
That solid state relay might be a good interface point .

And to do that you need to determine what turns the SSR on and off. When you can do that, you can figure out what to add to that control line.

Paul

peralnia:
It is an old water pump(at least 20-30 years old) that has been sitting 20 meters deep down in a well . The plate with the current andpower infromation is unreadable and I have no one to ask about it. After the electric meter there are fuses for each of the phases then a breaker and then a solid state relay to turn the pump on off.

Tricky. Its usually a good idea to know what you're dealing with. Photo?