Arduino DUE and i2c controller for LCD freezes

Hi guys!

I have some problems working with DUE and i2c controller for LCD. My 16x2 LCD, when connected through i2c sometimes (1 in ~20 refreshes) freezes. In some cases I need to unplug power supply completely to restart it (reset button won't do it).
Nothing of the same nature appears when using data pins directly on LCD (without i2c controller).
Following forum topics I've tried making pull-up resistors for DUE - no luck, same freezing.
The wiring is simple 20cm male-female cables from pins 20/21 to SDA/SCL.

I would like to use i2c wiring for this project (less wires, less chance to go wrong).

The project uses interrupt pin - would that might be a problem for i2c? What else should I check?

See this thread:

Maybe SDA and SCL lines receive EMI spikes, and these spikes are considered as valid signals by I2C master.

Several workarounds exist to suppress spikes, one of them in this thread, reply #8:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=488910.msg3691618#msg3691618

ard_newbie:
See this thread:

Electromania: Clock and calendar using Arduino due internal RTC and I2C LCD display

Maybe SDA and SCL lines receive EMI spikes, and these spikes are considered as valid signals by I2C master.

Several workarounds exist to suppress spikes, one of them in this thread, reply #8:

Arduino Due HMC5883l - #9 by MartinL - Arduino Due - Arduino Forum

Thanks. I've tried resistors as mentioned in reply #8. Sadly my LCD still freezes.
Probably it will be just easier/faster to solder all the connectors well to the LCD and forget about i2c controller...