Arduino robot questions

I have a couple of questions on the Arduino Robot:

1: There is a piece of paper with robot, which should be attached to the bottom of it. But there is no description on how to best do this?

2: The solution of having 4 contact points to the floor makes the robot getting stuck on even a slightly uneven floor. My workaround is to remove the front caster, but I would like to find a nicer solution like rising the casters slightly.

3: There are a number of mounting holes for components on the upper circuit board. It looks like they are for some kind of sensors, but I can't find any description on how they are intended to be used.

4: The table on the product page of the available pins is slightly hard to read for a beginner. I would like to add a normal servo to the robot, but it is not straightforward to see which pins I can use for this. Especially as there are even question-marks in the table! And no documentation of what PWM8/PWM16/PWN10 stands for. Or what the Arduino Robot Control and Register columns are related to. Also the relationship between the Arduino and the connectors around the perimeter seems to be less than well documented.

You need to post a drawing or a photo

Where did you get this robot and do you have a link to it?

the Arduino Robot:

I don't know what Arduino Robot your talking about . I think there's hundreds of arduino robots. Post a link to it.

raschemmel:

the Arduino Robot:

I don't know what Arduino Robot your talking about . I think there's hundreds of arduino robots. Post a link to it.

While it's true to say that there are hundreds of robots built on Arduinos, afaik there's only one Arduino Robot, as in Arduino branded, and that's this guy here. That's probably what the OP's talking about.

1: There is a piece of paper with robot, which should be attached to the bottom of it. But there is no description on how to best do this?

Can you post a photo of that ? What is the function of the paper ?

2: The solution of having 4 contact points to the floor makes the robot getting stuck on even a slightly uneven floor. My workaround is to remove the front caster, but I would like to find a nicer solution like rising the casters slightly.

Sounds like the R&D only took into account marble floors in Italy. Take a close up photo of the castor so we can see what it would take to repace it with a rubber castor. I know a company that makes every kind of castor you can imagine.

3: There are a number of mounting holes for components on the upper circuit board. It looks like they are for some kind of sensors, but I can't find any description on how they are intended to be used.

Need a photo of the sensors. We don't have any info on that. You could send an email to arduino distributor but I don't know if that would help. All we can do is look at the photo and go from there.

4: The table on the product page of the available pins is slightly hard to read for a beginner. I would like to add a normal servo to the robot, but it is not straightforward to see which pins I can use for this. Especially as there are even question-marks in the table! And no documentation of what PWM8/PWM16/PWN10 stands for. Or what the Arduino Robot Control and Register columns are related to. Also the relationship between the Arduino and the connectors around the perimeter seems to be less than well documented.

Can you post a photo of that ?

You could try increasing the radius of the main wheels to get more ground clearance. You might try putting rubber bands around the wheel tread, or maybe put some adhesive backed weather stripping around the wheel tread. This might also improve traction on slick surfaces.

raschemmel:

the Arduino Robot:

I only know of one robot using Arduino by the name of "Arduino Robot", produced by the same people who runs this forum, Arduino.cc. And I had hoped that they would give some feedback on my questions. I am evaluating the robot to be used in education, but find it somewhat lacking in engineering and documentation.

I only know of one robot using Arduino by the name of "Arduino Robot", produced by the same people who runs this forum,

Well if you read the posts on this forum every day you would see hundreds of post that start with the phrase "I'm building an Arduino Robot ........"

So I suppose you could see say this falls into the category of " the boy who cried wolf..."

raschemmel:
Well if you read the posts on this forum every day you would see hundreds of post that start with the phrase "I'm building an Arduino Robot ........"

So I suppose you could see say this falls into the category of " the boy who cried wolf..."

Not really, as I am not the one who has asked all the questions on other robots. But I could have been more clear about the difference between an arduino robot in general, and the Arduino Robot.

Still interested in any info on my questions. Don't have any photos available though.

1. It is a circular paper cutout, which is supposed to isolate the circuit board from the floor. Rather sceptical about how long it will survive though. And I need to disassembly the robot in order to attached it.

2. The caster is branded by Arduino, so probably of their own design. There are metal inserts for the bolts, so it is not simple to cut it down in size. The idea of increasing the radius of the wheels might work, there is lots of clearance available. (Some of the pictures of the robot on the web have different wheels - maybe they have switched to a smaller one in the production run?)

3. It is the square holes visible in the photo on Arduino Robot : ID 1499 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits .

4. The table in question is on the web, "Control Board Pin Mapping". http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Robot

arduino robot in general, and the Arduino Robot.

People should refer to them as Arduino-based robots, not Arduino robots, unless it's the Arduino (branded) Robot

It is a circular paper cutout, which is supposed to isolate the circuit board from the floo

Does it look like it might be intended to reduce friction to prevent it from getting stuck ?

raschemmel:

It is a circular paper cutout, which is supposed to isolate the circuit board from the floo

Does it look like it might be intended to reduce friction to prevent it from getting stuck ?

No, it is not so badly designed so that the circuit board touches the ground. The problem with getting stuck is that the robot sometimes rest on the two castors and one wheel, making the other wheel spin. It is solved by removing one castor, with the cost of making the robot slightly unstable.