Is there an affordable way to recognise a sound and ping a phone?

Thank you for your help that is exactly the information I was looking for.

My goal in fact is to allow users to record a sound so the device will be able to recognize that sound when it ears it.

I first tough I could make this in a very cheap manner but it makes sense that the processing power required is just too much. My second option is to use better components to make a higher quality product but that also has more features. By example it should be able to recognize that sound through other sounds playing.

Here is a straight forward example, I would like to record the microwave beeping sound and when ever the device ears the microwave beeping it messages my phone. But there would have been issues with cheap components anyway since it must be harder to recognize a sound in an active environment (lets say music is playing next to the device and the microwave).

So yeah thank you again and I think I will have a lot of researches and code to do to get there but I will begin by making sure this is a viable project because I also design video games and that is my core hobby!