RFID / VB6

Hello everyone. Posting up a paid project that I need some help with. (Willing to pay for help on this as to save me time.)
Here are the details

Hardware:
RFID-RC522 Reader
Arduino Uno

Software:
VB6

Needed: Need to be able to read/write and display RFID tags in VB6.
If you are interested in taking on the project please contact me and we can discuss the other details.
Thanks.

What does the arduino do? It looks like with an appropriate level shifting chip, you could talk directly to the device from VB via serial.

wildbill:
What does the arduino do? It looks like with an appropriate level shifting chip, you could talk directly to the device from VB via serial.

I have several containers that hold items in them. My staff come in and out of the workshop and pick up the containers to take back to their workbench. I am putting several RFID tags on the bottom of each container so when one of the staff members remove a container, they tap it to the logger and it will tag that item as checked out. When they return, they touch it again and it will tag it logged back in. (This is it in a nutshell.)
The couple of time related issues I am having is, #1) Finding some good example code to work with this type of RFID reader. (http://dx.com/p/rfid-rc522-rf-ic-card-sensor-module-blue-silver-203517)
I have found a few zip files with various source code and tech sheets on this one. I just really do not have the time to sit down and sort it all out. Once I have the Arduino reading the tags, and am able to program the tags along with the VB source code. The rest will be a quick adjustment on our shop side to get some order to the mess we have right now. So if anyone out there would like to help us out with this project by doing a bit of coding I will gladly pay you for your time. Thanks again for looking.

Is there a reason you are hung up on VB? A C# application, in my opinion, provides a nicer looking user interface, can interact with a relational database (to persist the data) and easily interact with the Arduino.

You could even have a web interface that accesses the same database, so from anywhere in the world, you could see who has what checked out, for how long, etc.

Assuming, of course, that people actually do the proper thing when removing a container.

Assuming, of course, that people actually do the proper thing when removing a container.

@PaulS, man you hit the problem squarely. Still too much human trust in the process.

Personally, I would put microswitches (Hall effect, reed, etc.) Under each bin location. When an Active bin was lifted, the staff would have 15 seconds to use their personal RFID card-tag to log the bin outbound. Reverse for inbound. Siren, red-fladhing lights, or other fun alarms would instill trustworthiness :smiley:

Ray

Personally, I would put microswitches (Hall effect, reed, etc.) Under each bin location. When an Active bin was lifted, the staff would have 15 seconds to use their personal RFID card-tag to log the bin outbound. Reverse for inbound. Siren, red-fladhing lights, or other fun alarms would instill trustworthiness :smiley:

I'd so something similar but pre-empt, rather than punish:

• solenoid-style lock mechanism that holds the bucket immobile until an RFID tag releases the solenoid, freeing the bucket for removal.
  • pressure / light / what have you sensor upon return restores the locking mechanism.