ESP8266 Works as AP but won't join my AP

I am new to the ESP8266. I tried every darn example library and sketch and get errors on all of them. It will NOT join an AP, but it does fine creating it's own "AI-Thinker...". WiFi.status returns 4. Wifi shield says no shield installed. I have RX-TX crossed over properly and it's powered off 3.3V although I don't have a LLS. I wish to join the current AP I have. I am certain the SSID and pass are correct.

What firmware is on the ESP8266?

Wifi shield says no shield installed.

How does the Wifi shield come into that equation? Are we talking about a Wifi shield or an ESP8266?

Shield is a test part of Wifi.h. As far as firmware I don't know, I lack a FTDI adapter so I can't flash it, it is factory set.

99.9999% of users use these discretely and flash them. I am the one fool thinking I could talk to it thru my Unos and Megas. It was blind ambition to hope it would plug n play, as some sites suggested.

I wish to get the Unos to talk to eachother, communicate "events" that happen in that particular region, felt WiFi was good as any approach...

Thanks- it's probably incompatible F/W.

As far as firmware I don't know, I lack a FTDI adapter so I can't flash it, it is factory set.

If you have a socket version of the UNO you can use it as a replacement for the FTDI adpter. Just remove the processor and swap the UART connection (pin 0 and 1) you currently have. The you have a direct serial connection to the ESP8266 you can use to flash it.

Shield is a test part of Wifi.h.

I don't understand that. Why do you install a WiFi shield if you want to use the ESP8266?