Smart power strip to control TV accessories

I have searched the forums and internet but can’t quite find the project I am looking to build. And am hoping I can get some feedback from all of you for a great outcome.

My project would be a relay module operated by an Arduino that senses the current in a plastic outlet box containing an Arduino, current sensor and a 120 volt outlet, when the current in the outlet exceeds a predetermined level the relay would activate and power the outlets in a power strip.

Although there exist commercially available products that do this,
I thought this would be a fun project.

I was thinking a current sensor shield or module whose output is controlled by a variable resistor that can be operated outside the outlet box being read by an analog input on an Uno. When the current on the outlet exceeds a threshold (adjusted by the variable resistor) the Uno would turn on the relay module and the power strip would be hot.

My goal is to eliminate the parasitic load of my DVD player, Roku, Apple TV etc. when the TV is turned off. I don’t want just a simple remotely controlled outlet, because I don’t want another remote. I just want everything to be powered up when I turn on my TV.

One big question I have is what’s the run life of these relay modules. How many hours can the be “on” before they just stop working.

Any ideas or feedback is much appreciated, seems like a pretty simple project.

Relays don't have a run life, assuming they are operated within their specifications. The constraining parameter for relays is number of operations which is usually identified on the data sheet for the relay. This has to do with several factors the significant one of which is the serviceability of the contact surfaces. That's dependent on the characteristics of the signal being switched, and the end device being controlled, especially if the end device is inductive and the specifications of the contact surfaces and materials from the manufacturer.

Check the datasheet to ensure that the switched voltage and current is within the relay capabilities. Also check the number of operations. Check that the supply is compatible with your intended supply side design. The relays should last a "lifetime" if they're operated within specs, and they are of reasonable quality to start with.

On a separate approach, I use a wall switch to control the power to the TV and all accessories, turning the power off completely to all units when the TV is not in use. I don't leave them in standby mode. To turn on the tele we just flick the wall switch and all units fire up. Then use the TV remote as normal.

I've mounted a wall switch in the same switch plate as the main light switch, so it's convenient to walk in and turn on the tele and the light if required.

It doesn't have the project appeal, but it works very effectively.

Thank you, a wall switch is a great idea. Wish I had thought of it 25 years ago when we wired the house!

I did mine as a retro fit. Depending on what country you're in I can let you know how our wiring regs work and how to do it.

I thought it was Android. I'm sorry that my native language is not English