Stepper Motor Not Turning with EasyDriver and Arduino, Only Vibrating

I am trying to turn a stepper motor (https://www.pololu.com/product/1204) with an EasyDriver and an Arduino Uno. I am doing my wiring and code based off the first example on this website: Easy Driver Examples
However, the stepper motor is not turning. If I remove any one stepper motor wire from the breadboard, the shaft vibrates, but doesn't turn. If all wires are plugged in, then the motor vibrates slightly, but the shaft doesn't. I am using power from the Arduino 5V port. This setup has worked for me before, but it has stopped working. I am new to Arduinos, EasyDrivers, stepper motors, and electronics in general. I have checked the forum, but can't find a solution. Any help is appreciated.

Update: I just found out how to use the Arduino to drive a stepper motor without a stepper motor driver. If it's possible to do that, what's the whole point of a stepper motor driver anyways? Are there any advantages of a stepper motor driver over just the Arduino by itself?

However, I still need the EasyDriver because I want to drive 4 stepper motors and there aren't enough pins on the Arduino for just using the Arduino method. Using an EasyDriver only requires 2 digital pins while using only an Arduino requires 4.

Another Update: I just found out that you can use analog pins as digital. Do you just make A0 pin 14 and A1 pin 15, etc.? If it's that simple, then I won't have to use an EasyDriver.

Update #3: I just tested it and figured out about the pin numbering. Now my only questions are those asked in my first update.

Arduino can NOT drive stepper directly. It requires more current

Update: I just found out how to use the Arduino to drive a stepper motor without a stepper motor driver. If it's possible to do that, what's the whole point of a stepper motor driver anyways?

The Arduino can turn the appropriate pins on and off. That is NOT going to make any decent sized stepper motor move, since useful sized steppers need about 1000 times the current that an Arduino can supply.

If it's that simple, then I won't have to use an EasyDriver.

Yes, it is, and yes, you will.

Thank you all for the replies! My Arduino is driving the stepper motor, but my stepper motor is relatively small. Here is the link: https://www.pololu.com/product/1204. However, I'm planning to get https://www.pololu.com/product/1205 or Pololu - Stepper Motor: Bipolar, 200 Steps/Rev, 28×45mm, 4.5V, 0.67 A/Phase. Will the Arduino be able to drive these too? If not, may you please answer my original question about the EasyDriver?

My Arduino is driving the stepper motor, but my stepper motor is relatively small. Here is the link: https://www.pololu.com/product/1204

That stepper will draw approximately 40 times more current from the Arduino pins than they can safely tolerate.

You CANNOT use a bare Arduino to drive a motor like that, if you expect your Arduino to last more than a few seconds. In fact it is an extremely bad idea to use the Arduino to directly drive ANY motor or coil, and always use a separate power supply for motors or coils.

If it did not work with the EasyDriver, then you wired it incorrectly.

I followed all the wiring directions on the website. Also, it works with the same wiring with just the Arduino. Also, if we shouldn't use the stepper motor directly with the Arduino, why does Arduino have a Stepper library, just wondering?

I followed all the wiring directions on the website.

Do you believe everything you read on the web?

Also, it works with the same wiring with just the Arduino.

Not for long! When you see the smoke curling up from your project, pull the plug quickly.

why does Arduino have a Stepper library, just wondering?

For use with stepping motors together with suitable stepping motor drivers.

jremington:
For use with stepping motors together with suitable stepping motor drivers.

In that case, is there any code I can use using the Stepper library that can be used with an EasyDriver?

In that case, is there any code I can use using the Stepper library that can be used with an EasyDriver?

All the examples in the Stepper library will work.

Thanks for answering! What should I use as a power source for my EasyDriver? I've read on the web that 9V batteries don't work. I want my power source to be portable (so it can't be a power cord) and not too heavy. I'll test out the EasyDriver with the Stepper library and post the results soon.

jremington:
Not for long! When you see the smoke curling up from your project, pull the plug quickly.

Also, the point I was trying to make was that the Arduino was able to successfully make the stepper motor turn with that order of wires, so it would make sense if I used the same order of wires with my EasyDriver.

The stepper motor doesn't turn with the EasyDriver when using the Stepper library. Do you think the problem is using the Arduino as a power source?

Use a separate power supply for the easydriver and motor and connect the grounds together.

The stepper motor doesn't turn with the EasyDriver when using the Stepper library. Do you think the problem is using the Arduino as a power source?

Personally, I think the problem is with the stepper motor owner.

The stepper motor's owner failed to:

1. Show how the stepper is connected to the EasyDriver
  2. Show how the EasyDriver is connected to the Arduino
  3. Show how the EasyDriver/stepper is powered
  4. Post the latest any code

I think you should try to find a new stepper motor owner.

Currently, I'm trying a new setup. I will post all the info once I found out of it failed or succeeded.

I used this setup and code: Easy Driver Hook-up Guide - SparkFun Learn. I connected the M+ on the EasyDriver to the 5V on the Arduino. The motor vibrates and makes a sound, but doesn't turn.

It turned out that the power supply was the problem. I connected the EasyDriver power supply to a laptop charger and the motor turned nicely. Now my only question is: What is a good portable power supply (preferably not too expensive or heavy)?

Today, I tried the laptop charger again, but a spark came, so I guess that's too much voltage? Anyways, I still need a portable power supply. Preferably one that I can power all 4 stepper motors with one instead of having to buy 4 of that power supply.

I am changing the stepper motor I am using to this: Pololu - Stepper Motor: Bipolar, 200 Steps/Rev, 28×45mm, 4.5V, 0.67 A/Phase. May you please post a good power source (connected to EasyDriver) for this motor?

I connected the EasyDriver power supply to a laptop charger and the motor turned nicely.

That's good.

Today, I tried the laptop charger again, but a spark came, so I guess that's too much voltage?

If it worked before, it isn't. Sparks happen when you have a short circuit.

Anyways, I still need a portable power supply.

What, exactly, are you building? Stepper motors are not really intended to be driven by batteries.

I'm building a robot that climbs stairs, so the power source will need to be portable.