Reversed voice recorder

I am an artist, I am looking to make an interactive art work where the participant records a spoken word, then that word is repeated back, but in reverse. E.g., "Cat" becomes something like "tack". I did venture into Arduino world 5 years ago, but I'm basically starting from the beginning, so a full list of what I will need is greatly appreciated!

Yo might be able to do it, but I think you're "nuts" to attempt that with Arduino. :wink: The Arduino is "under-powered" for audio processing and there is no built-in DAC on a standard Arduino. Plus, you'd need a preamp on the input and a power amp (or powered speakers) on the output.

The [u]TMRpcm library[/u] uses "fast PWM" to approximate analog-out without a DAC but that can be "tricky". TMRpcm also has a recording feature but a lot of people have trouble with that too.

If you can record and play-back reversing the audio is easy... You just reverse the samples or read the audio file/data backwards.

Is there a reason you can't use a computer or smart phone? A computer has a soundcard and plenty of processing power and if you have a laptop it's got a built-in microphone. If you need something stand-alone, maybe check-out the Raspberry Pi. It's got some limitations too but it should be more suitable than the Arduino.

Yes I have done this. You need some external memory and an external D/A converter.
It is in my book

It does do in in real time as well.

Hello becomes warla and conversely if you say warla it comes out as hello.

Note this is not possible on the Raspberry Pi because Linux screws things up as it keeps stealing chunks of time from you.

anatjari:
I am an artist, I am looking to make an interactive art work where the participant records a spoken word, then that word is repeated back, but in reverse. E.g., "Cat" becomes something like "tack". I did venture into Arduino world 5 years ago, but I'm basically starting from the beginning, so a full list of what I will need is greatly appreciated!

You mean the audio is played back in reverse, or that the speech is parsed into words and the spelling reversed and resynthesized? The first is vastly easier, but you still need a device with enough RAM to store the whole audio recording, which depends on sample rate, sample depth and max recording time wanted.

have you tried Audacity? you can do that...

danielcarreraestudia:
have you tried Audacity? you can do that...

Yes but not without active user intervention.