Serial Port will not go into command mode after entering $$$

I am trying to use my serial port in the Arduino IDE to set the IP protocol on my Arduino Wifly shield. When I go to enter "$$$" to place the serial port into command mode, nothing happens. Any thoughts?

post your code ?

#include "WiFly.h"

char passphrase[] = "268435459115635028";
char ssid[] = "Verizon AC30 E753";

void setup() 
{
  WiFly.begin();

if (!WiFly.join("ssid", "passphrase")) 
  {
     // Handle the failure
  }

// Rejoice in your connection

Serial.print("IP: ");
  Serial.println(WiFly.ip());
}

void loop()
{
}

Would I need to connect the two pins RX and TX?

I also tried typing in $$$ into Teraterm and no success.

should

if (!WiFly.join("ssid", "passphrase"))

not be

if (!WiFly.join(ssid, passphrase))

Yes, I changed that now but it still does not allow it to connect. I'm pretty sure I need to change the ip protocol on the wifly shield so that it can connect to the 3G hotspot card but when I enter $$$ into the serial monitor and press enter, nothing happens.

Your code nowhere reads anything from Serial so how should it react?

I guess I'm just confused as to what I would do with the data (to put it into command mode) once I have read the serial data.

I guess I'm just confused as to what I would do with the data (to put it into command mode) once I have read the serial data.

How should we know? it is your application :wink:

what is the goal of your project?
what are your requirements?

Currently, I just want to be able to connect my arduino wifly shield to my 3G Wifi Mobile Card. From the research I have done, it looks like you just have to type "$$$" into the serial monitor and press enter to send it into command mode. Nothing is mentioned about having code to read from the serial port.

Also, I'm using IDE 0022. Not sure if that helps at all.