mobile robot localization

hi
i'm working on a mobile robot project..in this project the robot should work in an indoor area of 100 m2.so i will have to define a coordination system (or what it is called) to let the robot know where it is and where to go.
so what do you recommend me to use....exp(cameras or ultrasonic sensors..... ) (i suppose that the gps wont be accurat)
note: the cost of this system is an issue
sorry for my bad english
thnx

This really belongs in Robotics, where you will learn all about the difficulties involved in what you are trying to do. Or, you would if you read anything there, first.

hi
i'm working on a mobile robot project..in this project the robot should work in an indoor area of 100 m2.so i will have to define a coordination system (or what it is called) to let the robot know where it is and where to go.
so what do you recommend me to use....exp(cameras or ultrasonic sensors..... ) (i suppose that the gps wont be accurat)
note: the cost of this system is an issue
sorry for my bad english
thnx

I would go with something that will not reflect and allow for valid reception from what may appear as more than 1 source.
GPS will not work well (at all?) indoors - need to see the sky to receive a signal from a satellite.
Will the robot have clear view of 2 corners of the area at all times? You could have 2 infrared transmitters with 2 frequencies.
The robot would have an IR receiver (or 2) that could measure the angle between the 2 and compute its location.
If you can't eliminate reflection, then maybe implement scanning & just measure the angle between the 2 strongest transmitters.

yes the workspace of the robot is a square room of (10x10m) so i can install two transmitter .... but how am i going to be able to mesure the angle between them?? :blush: :blush:
should i install the receiver on a servo motor??
i know that i'm asking alot but....can you give links to similar project :slight_smile:
thanks

Topics merged.

@OP : DO NOT CROSS-POST.

If you posted in the wrong section, ask a moderator to move it for you.

Yes, find one, use a servo with microstep control to find the other.
I don't know anyone doing it like that, but it makes sense to me mathematically.
You couldn't make a determination if you were on straight line in between them, and there would be a 50/50 shot of being in one half or the other.
So ideally three would make more sense so you could resolve which half you were on.

should i install the receiver on a servo motor??

That would be what I would try. You could get one of the below IR receiver modules at RS for the IR detector and use a TV remote from the dollartree store for the test beacon. Put the detector in a black non reflective shield tube and point it at the tv remote to see if the detector can detect the remote.

You might get some ideas from Borenstein's book "Where Am I?", downloadable online
from his website. Chap 6, Active Beacon Systems.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~johannb/

Excellent - Chapter 6, discusses various ways to determine location in 10meterx10meter room.

thanks for all :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: