Intel's Perceptual Computing Lab is hiring 3 positions

We use Arduino in the lab a lot, Perhaps only the first job is relevant to most people here, but the others are working in the same group so by proxy will touch hardware.

http://www.interhacktive.org/1/post/2013/02/perceptual-computing-lab-is-hiring.html

Intel's Perceptual Computing Lab is hiring! Thought I'd post two jobs that don't have "official" Intel descriptions yet, and one that does. The jobs are all located at Intel's HQ in Santa Clara, CA. If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email. Chris.Rojas@intel.com

Creative Coder/Hardware Hacker
Intel's Perceptual Computing Department is hiring a Creative Coder/Hardware Hacker. We work with experimental depth cameras, voice input, biometric monitoring, face detection, hand tracking, eye tracking and other new ways of interacting with a computing devices. We need someone to create mashups of various cutting edge technologies into working prototypes that show off unique ways of interacting with technology.

Often it starts with someone saying, “wouldn’t it be cool if...” and when the right pieces of the puzzle come along, we attempt to build it. You will need to be comfortable ripping apart the latest ultrabooks, tablets, sensors, cameras, etc and carefully reassembling things into working prototype. The goal is to prototype a bunch of ideas relatively cheaply and quickly to determine what is worth investing more time on. You will be expected to fail, if your prototypes aren’t pushing the limits of what is possible, don’t bother building it.

Ideally we would like someone who has enough general skills to create entire prototype solutions from concept to mechanical design, electronic assembly and write software to test said prototype and quickly prove if an idea is worth putting more time and people into. These prototypes could eventually turn into real products 1-3 years out. When a project is picked up, a team will be assigned to develop it further to product level.

You will work with researchers, creative coders, industrial designers, ux designers and others in a team to produce prototypes of real products that will reshape way people will interact with technology in the future.

Skills:
Comfortable with mechanical engineering, Solidworks or similar software
Experience with 3d printing and laser cutting
Ability to reverse engineer and hack existing tech
Experience with Arduino, Openframeworks, Cinder, VVVV, Unity3d, etc
C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript and/or Python experience
Comfortable with soldering, rewiring, basic electrical engineering
OpenCV/PCL experience, Kinect, IR/RGB cameras
Able to write apps for Win 8, osX, Android, iOS

Bonus skills:
Optical engineering
Low level hardware programming

Please email Chris.Rojas@intel.com with a link to your portfolio of work and any experience you think is relevant and maybe a resume.

UI Designer
Intel's Perceptual Computing Department is hiring a UI designer. We work with experimental depth cameras, voice input, biometric monitoring, face detection, hand tracking, eye tracking and other new ways of interacting with a computing devices, trouble is figuring out what feels intuitive and how to combine various new technologies into a seamless beautiful experience...this is where you fit in.

So if you've ever found yourself watching a sci-fi movie with some futuristic interface and thought, "pssh, I could have done better", now is your chance to prove it. It's not enough that things look beautiful, they must feel intuitive, natural and any number of other buzzwords that tech bloggers like to throw around.

You will work with researchers, creative coders, industrial designers and others in a team to produce real products that will reshape way people will interact with technology in the future.

Skills:
Ability to mock up interfaces quickly
Come up with novel ways of combining inputs
2d and 3d technical but artistic illustrations, animations and exportable assets
Strong Illustrator, Photoshop and motion graphics software background
Worked with developers in the past to create finished products

Bonus skills:
Worked with emerging technologies
Ability to script/code, C++, C#, Javascript, Java, Python
Familiar with Unity3D, Processing, Openframeworks, Cinder, VVVV, etc

Please email Chris.Rojas@intel.com with link to a reel or portfolio of your work and any experience you think is relevant and maybe a resume.

Senior Interactive Software Engineer - 704329
The Perceptual Computing Group of Intel Corporation is looking to fill the position of Senior Interactive Software Engineer. In this role, the innovative candidate will contribute toward the definition and technical development of 3D articulated skeletal tracking middleware as well as research and prototype novel interactive usages based on user motion, gesture, and other emerging forms of user input. Working in an agile and pioneering environment, the candidate must be a highly motivated self-starter yet also able to work effectively with a team to bring any core technology contributions, samples, and demos up to a professional level of quality.

Qualifications

BSc in Computing Science (Masters or PhD preferred) along with a 4+ years of experience in 3D video game technology development, professional physical simulation, or similar discipline. The candidate should possess a track record of creating original work to solve real-world problems in the form of publications or noteworthy contributions to shipped products.

Candidate must have intimate knowledge and experience in the following areas:

• High proficiency in C++
  • Solid Mathematics ability relevant for 3D interaction, simulation, and rendering
  • 3D computational geometry
  • Rigid Body Dynamic simulation (experience with powered rag doll techniques a plus)
  • Animation and skinning techniques
  • Working with motion capture data (experience with Kinect or similar device a plus)
  • DirectX or OpenGL and shader development
  • Understanding of digital content creation development pipeline (some art skills a plus)
  • Full development lifecycle of a 3D interactive software product

If you'd said the job entailed AlterEdit/Aedit (yes, believe it or not, I still use it), PL/M, RMX and Bubble-Memory, I'd be all over it!! wow, now I really am showing my age lol !
I spent a while at Intel in Swindon, UK working with some of the finest and craziest engineers I've ever had the pleasure to deal with.
Any of Intel's Skunkworks would definitely be a place I'd enjoy working at, pity I don't have a 3D rendering background.

abrookfield:
Intel's Skunkworks

Probably should keep that name under your hat. Wouldn't want Intel to end up on Lockheed Martin's bad side.