Forum Website Down

For me at 1900 CET it was painfully slow - I even got timeouts on the browser. Now, at 0400 it is lightning fast. (I did not use it in the intervening time)

It started to improve after my cup of coffee this morning.
Yes, now, all is back to normal.

Maybe it was Lefty burning a special modded bootloader again :stuck_out_tongue:

@Msquare, you're a late night programmer, it must be just after 04h00 for you there!

I got a really weird error message a couple of hours ago. I should have recorded it.

A 503 error is what I got.
I did copy it to the clipboard to paste here, but I got distracted and overwrote the clipboard while doing something else.

rockwallaby:
A 503 error is what I got.
I did copy it to the clipboard to paste here, but I got distracted and overwrote the clipboard while doing something else.

Yea, that's what it was. I've never seen that error in all the years I've been surfing. :relaxed:

I live in Texas.

We all have our problems, in my case it's a really bad case of the cl...well you don't need to know that.

So you live in Texas, have Venezuela as your location and an avatar for the London Hack space. You get around :slight_smile:

Rob

rockwallaby:
@Msquare, you're a late night programmer, it must be just after 04h00 for you there!

No, an early riser :slight_smile:

I am impressed. How did you work out at 04h00 ?

Msquare:
...Now, at 0400 ...

:slight_smile:

modeller:
I got a really weird error message a couple of hours ago. I should have recorded it.

Was it a 503 error with a "Guru Meditation" and a message about "revarnish server"?

SurferTim:

modeller:

Was it a 503 error with a "Guru Meditation" and a message about "revarnish server"?

Yep.

You can search for "Guru Meditation" on the forum to see all the posts about it. Like these:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,136823.0.html
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,142837.0.html

If you want a varnish that will last a while, I recommend Captain's Varnish by Z-Spar. :smiley:

SurferTim:
You can search for "Guru Meditation" on the forum to see all the posts about it.

and you can search for why I don't use the search here - :slight_smile:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,148835.0.html

Maybe you need to "varnish" your web browser cache? :slight_smile:

I was locked out of the forum not long ago with a "banned from using this forum" message, and deleting the browser cache and cookies corrected that.

SurferTim:
Maybe you need to "varnish" your web browser cache? :slight_smile:

I was locked out of the forum not long ago with a "banned from using this forum" message, and deleting the browser cache and cookies corrected that.

Oh I know how to fix the search problem. It's just that I don't have the permissions to do so. :slight_smile:

Oh I know how to fix the search problem. It's just that I don't have the permissions to do so.

If that is all, then I give you permission. It IS your web browser and computer, isn't it?

SurferTim:
If that is all, then I give you permission. It IS your web browser and computer, isn't it?

No, I'm talking about permission on the server, to fix the document expired problem at the source.

I don't understand. My forum search works fine, except when I use the "back" button after selecting one of the search results. I get a "Confirm Form Resubmission", at which point I click "reload". That is right next to my back button.

Is that what you want fixed on your other thread?

SurferTim:
I don't understand. My forum search works fine, except when I use the "back" button after selecting one of the search results. I get a "Confirm Form Resubmission", at which point I click "reload". That is right next to my back button.

Is that what you want fixed on your other thread?

That's the problem Tim. No other forum I go to has that issue, and it shouldn't be happening here. I have an SMF forum myself and it doesn't happen there. I just did a search there and went back and forth between the search results and the links and it work just fine.

It's a very aggravating problem if a person wants to look at many search results. It's going to cause people to stop using the search here and just post their question even if it's been answered. That's just human nature. If there's one thing this forum doesn't need is more questions that have already been answered. This is one of the busiest forums I've been to and that means it's a top priority for the search results to be easy to use.

Now I understand. I adapt quickly, so I am used to the reload button. That would be a good fix.

SurferTim:
Now I understand. I adapt quickly, so I am used to the reload button. That would be a good fix.

Thanks. I can't understand why the Admins won't even acknowledge the problem. It just ridiculous to have to go back through two dialog boxes to get back to your search results every time. If there's 10 pages of results to go through until you find the specific information you need, it's going to be very frustrating. I don't need to ask a lot of questions if there's a good library of questions that have already been answered, I can do the research myself. But, with the document expired issue it's way too time consuming.

If they don't think it will frustrate users needing information, they need to think again. The best solution is to just fix it. I have very knowledgeable contacts at the SMF support forum and I'd be glad to work with them to help get a resolution.

But the first step is to realize the problem exists.

In a search I always right click and select open in new tab on the search results I think are interesting. That avoids having to reload the page when I need to go back and the pages are loaded while I'm still reading the results. That saves me some time.
You could consider this as a workaround.
Best regards
Jantje