MKR Zero Watchdog?

Hi

Does anybody know of a watchdog library that works with the MKR Zero? I have tried a few but no dice.

Nick

Hi,

Did you find a solution to this? Did you try the SleepyDog library?

I know this is an old post, but here is what I found (sorry to the original/source of this as I am not sure where I originally found it but thank you!).

I wanted a simple watchdog reset only, no sleep modes, just feed a watchdog clear and reset the SAMD21 if it does not get cleared within a set time.

Also, I did not want to use a library so this is what I used.

// I needed to add these or it would not compile.
// Each cycle is about 1mS.
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_3    0x3u    // 64 clock cycles
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_4    0x4u    // 128 clock cycles
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_5    0x5u    // 256 clock cycles
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_6    0x6u    // 512 clock cycles
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_7    0x7u    // 1024 clock cycles
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_8    0x8u    // 2048 clock cycles
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_9    0x9u    // 4096 clock cycles
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_10   0xAu    // 8192 clock cycles
#define WDT_CONFIG_PER_11   0xBu    // 16384 clock cycles

void watchdog_setup(void){
  // Set up the generic clock (GCLK2) used to clock the watchdog timer at 1.024kHz
  REG_GCLK_GENDIV = GCLK_GENDIV_DIV(4) |            // Divide the 32.768kHz clock source by divisor 32, where 2^(4 + 1): 32.768kHz/32=1.024kHz
                    GCLK_GENDIV_ID(2);              // Select Generic Clock (GCLK) 2
  while (GCLK->STATUS.bit.SYNCBUSY);                // Wait for synchronization

REG_GCLK_GENCTRL = GCLK_GENCTRL_DIVSEL |          // Set to divide by 2^(GCLK_GENDIV_DIV(4) + 1)
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_IDC |             // Set the duty cycle to 50/50 HIGH/LOW
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_GENEN |           // Enable GCLK2
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_SRC_OSCULP32K |   // Set the clock source to the ultra low power oscillator (OSCULP32K)
                     GCLK_GENCTRL_ID(2);            // Select GCLK2         

// Feed GCLK2 to WDT (Watchdog Timer)
  REG_GCLK_CLKCTRL = GCLK_CLKCTRL_CLKEN |           // Enable GCLK2 to the WDT
                     GCLK_CLKCTRL_GEN_GCLK2 |       // Select GCLK2
                     GCLK_CLKCTRL_ID_WDT;           // Feed the GCLK2 to the WDT

REG_WDT_CONFIG = WDT_CONFIG_PER_11;               // Set the WDT reset timeout to 16 seconds
  while(WDT->STATUS.bit.SYNCBUSY);                  // Wait for synchronization
  REG_WDT_CTRL = WDT_CTRL_ENABLE;                   // Enable the WDT in normal mode
  while(WDT->STATUS.bit.SYNCBUSY);                  // Wait for synchronization
}

void watchdog_clear(void){
  if (!WDT->STATUS.bit.SYNCBUSY)                // Check if the WDT registers are synchronized
  {
    REG_WDT_CLEAR = WDT_CLEAR_CLEAR_KEY;        // Clear the watchdog timer
  }
}

Now in your setup() call the watchdog_setup(); once. At this time your watchdog is now active and running and will reset the SAMD21 if it times out within the interval you used.
You will need to continually call the function watchdog_clear(); to prevent the watchdog resetting the MCU.

Make sure you change the timeout in the setup function to suit your needs.
It also does NOT wait for the SYNC bit when you request a clear. This can take some time (maybe 5mS) so it won't clear the watchdog in that case.

Hopefully this will help someone as it did help me.

Hi gjt211,

I know this is an old post, but here is what I found (sorry to the original/source of this as I am not sure where I originally found it but thank you!).

You found it 3 days ago on the Arduino Zero forum: WDT Watchdog timer code - Arduino Zero - Arduino Forum.

The orginal source is here: Found and fixed a bug in sketch for Arduino Zero | Details | Hackaday.io.

By the way, there's no need to use the WDT_CONFIG_PER_X definitions, as the SAMD21 CMSIS register definitions have changed in version 1.2.0.

Just replace the line:

REG_WDT_CONFIG = WDT_CONFIG_PER_7;                // Set the WDT reset timeout to 1 second

with:

REG_WDT_CONFIG = WDT_CONFIG_PER_1K;              // Set the WDT reset timeout to 1 second