Getting into electronics and need help starting a parts collection.

Silman:
may i ask why exactly you chose the values of resistors, caps, diodes, transistors, etc that you did? What is it about each of those values/types of components that make them better than the thousands of other choices?

Also where can i buy storage containers to organize all this stuff!?

Those values are used frequently. Which ones you'll need really depends on what you plan to do, but there's a few that get used more than the rest. As for organizing, I like the plastic containers sold at craft stores for beads. They've got lots of compartments and are made to keep even the really tiny parts from moving around. Anything with lots of compartments is good. And do yourself a favor and find a way to keep your resistors and ceramic caps organized. I made little paper envelopes for each value. Trying to hunt for one particular value in the misc parts bin is a headache.

EDIT: A good way to start is to think of a few things you'd like to build and look up what parts will be needed. You'll notice some are common to the types of things that you like to build. If it's robots then you're going to be using lots of motors and servos and transistors to power them. For data logging/analysis you'll need some sort of sensors and a way to store or transmit the data. When you've figured out what parts are common to the things you want to build, buy a few of them. There's no need to put together an electronics store in your home right away. Your collection will build up bit by bit just by buying a few extras whenever you need to pick up something new. If you have a soldering iron, you can scavenge quite a few misc parts from broken electronics too.