suggest an NPN not afffected by temperature?

I'm looking for a NPN BJT (SOT23) that has a pretty stable VBE as the temperature changes.
I was told that the Fairchild 2N5088BU is good, but I see no supporting data.

Any suggestions??

What temperature range are you looking for?

weedpharma:
What temperature range are you looking for?

Over about 300oC, ALL transistors are affected. :grin:

I had considered a range from 0 deg K as starting point. :grin:

Weedpharma

weedpharma:
0 deg K

Bzzzzzzt.

Temperatures on the Kelvin scale are not named "degrees", they're just "Kelvin", as in "0 Kelvin".

JimboZA:
Bzzzzzzt.

Temperatures on the Kelvin scale are not named "degrees", they're just "Kelvin", as in "0 Kelvin".

Mea culpa

Hi, what is the application that you need a transistor with this characteristic, there may be another way of accomplishing what you need.

Tom......... :slight_smile:

All silicon transistors have the same dependency on temperature, there's nothing you
can do by choosing a better device.

What you can do is use a cancelling circuit to subtract the temperature dependence by
using two matched transistors kept at the same temperature. You keep a constant
current through one and then the Vbe difference cancels out.

You can also choose a semiconductor with a much higher bandgap voltage, as the
thermal term subtracts from this, so the larger the bandgap the less the thermal
term proportionally. That means gallium arsenide, silicon carbide or other exotic/expensive
devices.

But unless you say what you are trying to achieve its hard to know how to help.
The cancellation circuit is useful for making analog logarithmic amplifiers and
multipliers, for instance.

It might be that you need feedback in your circuit to linearise it, there are many ways
round a problem if you know the actual goal.

It's possible to turn a transistor or even a diode into a temperature sensor based on it's forward voltage drop..

How's Germanium hold out over silicon? Better / worse regarding temperature?

Thanks for the answers. I didn't realize all equally temp sensitive.

Hi,please read post #7, what is the application, what are you going to do with a transistor if you could find one?

Tom.. trying to help! ! ! ..... :slight_smile:

As always - you should explain what your actual problem is that you need to address, not what you have imagined as the solution to the problem.

XY problem again

I am using it in a feedback circuit for a constant current driver. I have some other solutions in mind, so don't need more info.. yet.

Thanks.

That's good, because unless you describe it in more detail - in fact a lot more detail, explanation and specifics including current and proposed circuitry - you are not going to get much useful assistance. :grin: