[SOLVED] Stepper Motor & L298N

Hello! I am fairly new to the whole electronics world so excuse my naive question.

I try run a motor constant over a longer time (24H). I read that a stepper motor has a decent torque, and so I bought on withe a L298N board and followed this tutorial:

I leaned how to find the correct A-/A+ and B-/B+ cables. And wired it up. I have an external power source, which is a "Benchtop PC Power Board Computer Supply Breakout Module Adapter" -> that gives me 3,3 5 and 12V. If I connect the 5V to the L298N module the motor only makes some noises but does not move. When I change it to 12V the motor runs (not really smooth) but the board gets so hot that I am sure it will burn after 10 minutes.

So I research and try out different things during the last two days. But without any luck. I read that the board I am using could not fit to the motor. But when I buy another one I am not sure what will fit to the motor I am using and how to identify the right board then...

Motor Electrical Specification:

• Motor Type: Bipolar Stepper
  • Step Angle: 1.8 deg.
  • Holding Torque: 40N.cm (56oz.in)
  • Rated Current/phase: 1.7A
  • Phase Resistance: 1.5Ohm±10%
  • Insulation Resistance: 100MΩ¸ Min, 500VDC
  • Insulation Strength: 500VAC for one minute

I do not know what use you are going to give, but for continuous use a stepper motor is not the most indicated.
If you do not need much precision, a DC motor can serve you.

The L298N won't work for that low impedance motor. You need a modern, current limiting motor driver, like those from Pololu.

None of them can handle the full, rated 1.7 Ampere motor current, so be sure to set the current limit to less, as instructed by Pololu.

Thank you!
I bought a A4988 board and tried it with this board. It works well.