Change MIDIUSB Device Name?

Hey,

I am using an Arduino Micro in combination with the MIDIUSB library and everything is working fine so far, I am reading a few encoders connected via a 8574 and output the values over USB as MIDI control data.

Now my question is how can I change the name of the MIDI device that appears in the computer? The USB MIDI device appears as "Arduino Micro" when connected to a MacOSX computer and I'd like to change that name. Since I'll be creating multiple devices it would help greatly to be able to discern the devices.

What I tried already is creating my own entry in the "boards.txt" file by copying over the existing entry for the micro and changing the "micro.build.usb_product" name but that didn't seem to be picked up. The MIDI device is still recognized as "Arduino Micro".

Anyone got a hint on how I can change that name?

Cheers,
Normen

If you are using a Uno then you can't change the name. That is fixed deep inside the boot loader/ driver code.

Grumpy_Mike:
If you are using a Uno then you can't change the name. That is fixed deep inside the boot loader/ driver code.

Thanks for the reply.

As said I am using a Micro, afaik it uses its main chip for the USB part doesn't it? I started using the Micro because it (like the Leonardo) was the first to support MIDI/HID before Arduino 1.6

Sorry the Micro is just a poor name for a model of Arduino because any Arduino is a microcomputer which shortens to a micro.

Same problem though, unless you want to fish about in the depth of the HID library's code.

Grumpy_Mike:
Sorry the Micro is just a poor name for a model of Arduino because any Arduino is a microcomputer which shortens to a micro.

Same problem though, unless you want to fish about in the depth of the HID library's code.

Okay so I guess my best bet is to make a copy of the hardware folder in the local libraries and change the name in the core code.. Hmph, I hoped the whole "Pluggable USB" stuff would make that easier.

Thanks for the help!

Did you get this to work ?

CptCredible:
Did you get this to work ?

I didn't investigate much further yet but I guess its down to just doing a String search across all files in the hardware folder for "Arduino Micro" and replacing the string..

I'm also looking for this answer. Any update?

I did a little more digging, you need to recompile the arduino bootloader hex file. The file that needs modifying before compiling is apparently:
/bootloaders/caterina/Descriptors.c
or whatever the equivelent file is in you version of the IDE. Not tried this yet but i plan to give it a go next week.

Did you get it work? I've tried with /bootloaders/caterina/Descriptors.c but no luck.

Yeah I tried too, no luck.

Does anyone here found out how to change the MIDI device's name?

I found at a couple of places to create a new board, so I did, and I see it and I can compile my Arduino code, but still have no luck to have another MIDI device name.

What about the Descriptors.c?

Any idea?

Thank you!

leonardo2.name=Arduino Leonardo name

leonardo2.vid.0=0x999
leonardo2.pid.0=0x998
leonardo2.vid.1=0x997
leonardo2.pid.1=0x996
leonardo2.vid.2=0x995
leonardo2.pid.2=0x994
leonardo2.vid.3=0x993
leonardo2.pid.3=0x992

leonardo2.upload.tool=arduino:avrdude
leonardo2.upload.protocol=avr109
leonardo2.upload.maximum_size=28672
leonardo2.upload.maximum_data_size=2560
leonardo2.upload.speed=57600
leonardo2.upload.disable_flushing=true
leonardo2.upload.use_1200bps_touch=true
leonardo2.upload.wait_for_upload_port=true

leonardo2.bootloader.tool=arduino:avrdude
leonardo2.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
leonardo2.bootloader.high_fuses=0xd8
leonardo2.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xcb
leonardo2.bootloader.file=caterina/Caterina-Leonardo.hex
leonardo2.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
leonardo2.bootloader.lock_bits=0x2F

leonardo2.build.mcu=atmega32u4
leonardo2.build.f_cpu=16000000L
leonardo2.build.vid=0x2341
leonardo2.build.pid=0x8036
leonardo2.build.usb_product="Arduino Leonardo product"
leonardo2.build.usb_manufacturer="Arduino Leonardo manufacturer"
leonardo2.build.board=AVR_LEONARDO
leonardo2.build.core=arduino:arduino
leonardo2.build.variant=arduino:leonardo
leonardo2.build.extra_flags={build.usb_flags}

So, after reading a few threads I decided to make a how-to, hoping it can help someone. Here you go:

1 Like

thanks musinou, I tried following your instructions with only partial success. The name is changed in system report, however it shows up as "usb midi device" in audio midi setup and midi monitor. I'm on a mac with yosemite. Did I miss a step?

musinoou driver error, for change name usb device in arduino leonardo