Ultra-WideBand Feather for Localization in Robotics projects

As part of a larger robotics project, I required a system for low range localization and came across the Decawave DWM1000 module. A little work has been done on it in the community before but many of them seem to have turned commercial and the price wasn't exactly appealing. So I made my own.

The Ultra-WideBand Feather incorporates the Decawave DWM1000 module and an ATSAMD21 ARM Cortex M0 into the Adafruit feather form-factor. The DWM1000 module is an IEEE802.15.4-2011 UWB compliant wireless module capable of precision indoor positioning and high data rates, making this board perfect for robotics projects where localization is required. The feather form-factor makes it easy to implement into projects. I'll be using these as the Anchors for a larger project.

There were some minor design issues that I've listed to be changed on the next revision. Primarily the fact that I used the wrong footprint for the USB connector but all was well because I had the SWD header. Overall I was pretty happy with the results considering it was my first full PCB designed project that had more than a handful of components.

Compatible with the Arduino framework (uses the Adafruit M0 bootloader) makes programming the boards fast and easy.

Full write-up is on my website at prototypingcorner.io/projects/uwb-feather with further work on the library and projects using the boards to come.

Jed Hodson