Due appears as COM6 port but gives error "No device found on COM6" on upload

Confirmed, problem is fixed :smiley:

Thanks Willie for your findings!

This may be unrelated, but you should probably be aware Windows 2000, XP, 7 and 8 have a bug in USBSER.SYS where the COM port appears properly but is unable to work if the USB cable was unpluged ("surprise removal" in Microsoft's lingo) while a program had the port open. While troubleshooting USB problems on those operating systems, this bug can really make things much more confusing.

Microsoft fixed this bug in Windows 10.

Here's a video demo.

Thnx for sharing Paul.

I did not mention this, but I'm running Windows 10. So appearently, this is not a cause of the problem I had with programming.
And it's fixed anyway, but disconnecting the pulldown resisitor on de Rx0 pin while programming :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,

I encounter the "No device on port" problem, too. After several months of proper working (except start-on-power on error that I usually "fixed" with Reset button press") the device didn't start and I was unable to upload new sketch.

Problem statement:

1. Appeared eventually, after several months of proper function
  2. Second DUE R3 I see the exact problem
  3. Due programming port appears both in device manager and in Arduino IDE (now 1.6.8, prev 1.6.1, Win7 and WinXP)
  4. Due native port appears in device manager as "unknown device"
  5. Bossac (both in Arduino IDE and when called directly from command line) says "No device on port"
  6. Followed loop-back instructions (the pinned topic in Troubleshooting) and everything I send using serial monitor to Arduino is echoed back immediately.
  7. The Arduino COM port is opened at 1200 with no problems. When I send something in Putty at 115200 RX led blinks, at 1200 - doesn't.

What I tried (and what didn't help, and I restored to previous state):

1. Pressing Reset and Erase buttons many times in different combinations.
  2. Tested R23, R3, R14 and R15. All of them are 1kOhm
  3. Put 10 mkF capacitor between Reset pin and ground
  4. Tried putting 10kOhm resistor at T3 (my board doesn't have R99)

What should I try next to reanimate my boards?

Best,
Serge

Hi guys!, just to support this solution;

I had the same issue with my new Arduino DUE R3 board as;

"No device found on com 15" during programming while the Arduino IDE was detecting the board OK.

Thanks to "Aiekakiku", shorting R23 allowed Arduino IDE to write my code to the board.

However, since then I have rebooted my PC and DUE is programming every time. Hurray!

Best regards
hussaa1

Hello,

Where is R23

Maybe unrelated, but sometimes everything works for me and sometimes, right at the very end of an upload, my COM port would change itself and then give an error (windows 10). In case it helps, the only consistent fix I found is to open the arduino program from the program list (not by clicking on a .ino file) and then opening files from the arduino file menu. No idea why this works or what is going on...

Hey Willie,

You're The Man !!

This is exactly what fixed it in my situation.
In my setup I pulled the RX0 pin down to GND with a 1 kOhm resistor.

Aparently the 16U2 can pull this RX pin to GND using IC10.
Apart from the programming issue, to me it looks a bit "rude" to short an input and possibly overload external devices sending into RX pin.

Another suspect thing is the timing of IC10 especially since the input and "not(output enable) pins are shorted. Now the propagataion delay will determine what happens.
When the input (net 16U2-TX) toggles from low to high, the output may go: low->high->high-Z. With a pull-down resistor the high-Z becomes 'low'. so low->high->low instead of an intended low->high-Z.
Maybe this corrupts the SAM's UART state.
Any way this is just a theory that I did not test.

Marco

Sorry, but I didn't found the answer if I have a problem "No device found on COM3" what I need to do.

:frowning:

May be I don't understand some of topics?

I tried to press "erase" and "reset" but nothing happens.

Hi all I'm new to here I just wanted to post what worked for me. So I have been printing with arduinos for awhile now and have been using a due with my own modified and diy built ramps fd v2.2. It had been working just fine for months, then I upgraded windows 10 from 1607 to 1703 and it stopped loading code. I kept getting error no device found on com3. The weird thing was if I hooked it up to my wife's all in one with 1607 it would load fine. I played around with it for days and finally stumbled across this, I loaded the arduinos isp example code through the native port and then tried it on the programming port and what do you know I was able to load code! So then I tried my repetier firmware and it worked! Thanks I hope this works for others.

JDS3D:
Hi all I'm new to here I just wanted to post what worked for me. So I have been printing with arduinos for awhile now and have been using a due with my own modified and diy built ramps fd v2.2. It had been working just fine for months, then I upgraded windows 10 from 1607 to 1703 and it stopped loading code. I kept getting error no device found on com3. The weird thing was if I hooked it up to my wife's all in one with 1607 it would load fine. I played around with it for days and finally stumbled across this, I loaded the arduinos isp example code through the native port and then tried it on the programming port and what do you know I was able to load code! So then I tried my repetier firmware and it worked! Thanks I hope this works for others.

Hi

Can you tell us what repetier firmware are you talking about?

Is it the batch 30 cycle thing?

Can you post the code please ^^

Cheers, Luís Pereira.

Hi all.
I bought the Arduino Due R3 from aliexpress a while back and just now wanted to try it out.
I have made some minor projects with my uno with everything going fine.
I changed my board on the IDE (1.8.5) using the SAM (1.6.11) and in the bottom of the IDE it says: "Arduino Due (Programming Port) on COM8" but when I try to upload sketch I have the same problem as before. It says "No device found on COM8 An error occured while uploading the sketch".

As a total amateur and beginer hobbyist I don't have the means/skill to mesure the R23 let alone replace/short it.

It works with the Erase/Reset solution but I think that is kind of tedious.

Is there something with the current version of windows 10 (1703) that is cousing this issue?

Please keep posting and let us know if you find a solution.

I have the same problem and i solve it by pressing the erase button during the bigining of the upload. Now everything iscorrect.

hola a todos, encontre el error por el cual no detecta el puerto, el CI SN74LVC1G125DCKR estaba al revés y sin soldadura. espero les sirva.

Hi everybody,

I've got an other (basic ?) solution
I had the same problem during the all day, and all the solutions here did not worked.

But i disconnected the led + resistor attached to the pin 1 (TX0) and it seems to work now.

It's maybe for the same reasons that we can not attached the pin 0 (RX0) with a resistance (like someone said earlier).
Hope it will worked for a long time, if my solution isn't working i will say it to you.

IRV5700:
I have the same problem and i solve it by pressing the erase button during the bigining of the upload. Now everything iscorrect.

Thanks for that. That fixed the problem

I have 2 DUE boards, and sometimes when I used them interchangeably, it caused the same error.

I always used to press upload but it showed the error: "no device found on COMXX."

I tried many things,but none of them helped me.
A simple thing solved all my problems.

I simply pressed Verify/ Compile and surprisingly after that Upload worked successfully.

So I recommend to press Verify/Compile always and then Upload, don't rely on Upload only!

1 Like

What's up?

Hello, does the update of the firmware of the Arduino DUE board correct the problem of starting the program? My program doesn't start correctly when I power it up, I have to do several resets to get it to work. I don't really want to solder the 10 KOhms resistor on the board. If the software solution works it would be better.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.