What voltage to use for this pressure sensor?

Hi
I want to use this pressure sensor. Does it work with 3.3 V? I am having trouble finding reliable information about the sensor... It seems to have a voltage regulator installed though.

They must use a Vcc of 3v3 ( from the Ardunio 3v3 pin ) but seems the i2c allows you to connect to the ic2 of a 5v arduino board - see -

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/bmp180-barometric-pressure-sensor-hookup-

What you have there is not a "sensor" it's a "sensor on a breakout board" or "sensor module". It's physically different from the one in reply#1, and what you have to find is the documentation for that module. Documentation for any other brand of module, or indeed even of the underlying sensor itself, is not going to be of any use, since success depends on knowing how the sensor is implemented on that module.

edit: if you have one in your possession, are the pins marked on the other side of the pcb? The link only shows one side.

Indeed they do seem to use 3.3 V for vcc. I want to use it with a DUE (3.3V). However I know the sensor can be used with 5 V arduinos. Is there any way, that when I connect the sensor to 3.3 V, it outputs a higher voltage? It does seem rather unlikely...

Hi,

bestanamnetnogonsin:
Indeed they do seem to use 3.3 V for vcc. I want to use it with a DUE (3.3V). However I know the sensor can be used with 5 V arduinos. Is there any way, that when I connect the sensor to 3.3 V, it outputs a higher voltage? It does seem rather unlikely...

No it won't, 3.3V is its operating voltage and it will have no problems with the DUE.
Tom... :slight_smile:

ricky101:
They must use a Vcc of 3v3 ( from the Ardunio 3v3 pin ) but seems the i2c allows you to connect to the ic2 of a 5v arduino board - see -

BMP180 Barometric Pressure Sensor Hookup - SparkFun Learn

I have absolutely no idea how Sparkfun concluded that that sensor is 5V tolerant. The maximum recommended supply voltage is 3.6V, and the absolute maximum rating on all pins is 4.25V. It's right in the datasheet, and the breakout board contains no level-shifting circuitry.

A moot point anyway since the excessively-long-named OP is using a 3.3V board.

Compare that to the datasheet for a chip that actually does have 5V tolerant inputs, the nRF24L01+ transceiver.

BMP180

nRF24L01+

Jiggy-Ninja:
the excessively-long-named OP

karma++ :wink: