Heat Shrink ideas

Attached is a PDF showing heat shrink application ideas I though some would be interested in.
If you have favorite uses for heat shrink, please share them.

I use a hot air rework station to heat shrink items, but on occasions use an alcohol lamp.
I do not like using a lighter as black soot gets onto the heat shrink.

PDF attached.

Heat Shrink.pdf (1.16 MB)

Hot air rework station is the best for me. I don't like using a lighter, only in crisis but not above the flame. I'm heating it on the side of flame, near to blue part of flame to minimize smoking.

Electric paint stripper has always worked for me.

SMD IC testing/programming example

Soldering iron also works and its usually to hand - you can almost touch the tubing with the iron for
best effect - not as good as hot air, but the iron is usually there, hot, ready.

Hi,
Have heat gun will travel.

I use double walled with adhesive heat shrink to encapsulate modules that need IP65 or higher.

Use heavy pliers or vice to clamp the lower end while hot, cool clamps set glue and heatshrink shape.

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,

Exactly what I was talking about :wink:

You'll also find the type with glue inside is much thicker and stronger than some of the inferior types available from internet sites.

TomGeorge:
Hi,

I use double walled with adhesive heat shrink to encapsulate modules that need IP65 or higher.

Use heavy pliers or vice to clamp the lower end while hot, cool clamps set glue and heatshrink shape.
Tom... :slight_smile:

Yes, I too like that type of heat shrink, with glue inside.
I like the idea of sealing the bottom with pliers.

Just looked up the price for 6:1 heat shrink, ~ $10.00 per meter.

I mostly use smd rework station hot air but occasionally i also use a gas powered soldering iron with a air nozzle installed.

Years ago, I had a hundred or so 2/0 welding cable leads to heat shrink at each end. Took a while to do the job with a heat gun due to thermal inertia. Wish I knew about this 212,000 BTU heat gun ...

212,000 BTUs + heat shrink.
May the force be with you.
OMG

Notice the gas connection on the bottom. Just hook it up to any convenient LPG tank and it doubles as a weed burner, or if you want to de-ice your driveway, or pre-heat an engine block for welding....

Someone emailed this:

Opto isolator.

And this:

Hi,
I have done this,

But with an LDR instead of Photo-transistor, in an emergency when the real component was 6weeks back order and customer needed machine back in operation.
The opto was a linear one, rather than digital, there was another of these couplers in the machine, so I copied the basic characteristics.
I was surprised how well and stable it was in a feedback loop.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
I have done this,

But with an LDR instead of Photo-transistor, in an emergency when the real component was 6weeks back order and customer needed machine back in operation.
The opto was a linear one, rather than digital, there was another of these couplers in the machine, so I copied the basic characteristics.
I was surprised how well and stable it was in a feedback loop.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Back in the dark ages, tiny light bulbs were used instead of LEDs.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Back in the dark ages, tiny light bulbs were used instead of LEDs.

Paul

Aye. and we had to scrape the laquer of OC72 ' s.

nice collection!

Boardburner2:
Aye. and we had to scrape the laquer of OC72 ' s.

Until Phiips or Mullard probably realised their sales of OCP71 phototransistors were being compromised and started filling the OC71 etc with opaque rather than clear silicon grease. (The OC72 had a metal casing to assist with heat dissipation) Some interesting history here

jackrae:
Until Phiips or Mullard probably realised their sales of OCP71 phototransistors were being compromised and started filling the OC71 etc with opaque rather than clear silicon grease. (The OC72 had a metal casing to assist with heat dissipation) Some interesting history here

That's a great read!