Arduino UNO has no COM port connection, How to connect?

I have built the Arduino Uno.
Loaded 1.6.4 IDE.
Connected the USB cable to XP computer. The power LED lights up and the "L" LED lights up blinking.

However after modifying the "Blink" code, changing the delay function, then "Upload"ing it, and error stating "Problem uploading to board. See ..." occurs.

"See ..." trouble shooting comments, do not help with this.
Also "http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/TroubleShooting#upload ..." appears.
Also no help...

"Arduino Uno (COM4)" shows up in the device manger.
The computer has one COM port. It's a DELL 650 laptop.

Selected "Arduino Board" under Tools>Board. The board has an ATmega328P-PU installed.
There is no section for this micro.

How does the code get loaded into the Arduino Uno?
What connection do I need!? If not the USB.

If Device Manager says the Arduino is connected to COM4, have you selected that port in the Arduino IDE?

...R

Yes, did select the COM4 port...

However after modifying the "Blink" code, changing the delay function, then "Upload"ing it, and error stating "Problem uploading to board. See ..." occurs.

Does this mean that you were able to upload the code at least once ?

Have you tried closing the Arduino IDE, disconnecting your Uno and starting again in case your PC thinks COM4 is already in use? (It's a long time since I used Windows).

...R

Hi Robin,

Nothing has been uploaded, just got the kit today and put it together.

Did what you suggested:

Exited IDE, disconnected the USB.

I did check the device manger to make sure it was not there.

Reconnected the USB, checked again, Arduino Uno (COM4) was there.

Started the IDE again. Loaded "Blink" program, modified the delay functions to 100.

Verify is was ok... Clicked "Upload" and received same message results as before, and never loaded.

Thanks for your input...

Go to File>Preferences and check "Show verbose output during: [ ]compilation [x] upload"
Then post the entire message you get.

Isaac, after setting the show verbose option for update to on, the following is what I received:

Build options changed, rebuilding all

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.
C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM4 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\DOCUME~1\XXXXXXXX\LOCALS~1\Temp\build2532699202577320908.tmp/MyBlink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM4
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x60

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

So the port showed up but couldn't upload? Does the 328P have a bootloader? If it was blinking when you plugged it in, it has a bootloader.

AmAnArduinoUser:
I have built the Arduino Uno.

What do you mean by this?

Did you buy an Uno or did you make one yourself?

If you made it yourself the 328 chip probably does not have the bootloader code installed.

...R

"Built it my self", bad choice of words, I guess. Had to put the Arduino Uno PCB on the base, screw it down, and put the breadboard on. It was a "Starter Kit". The actual Arduino Uno PCB came assembled.

It has a bootloader.

When the USB is plugged in, the power on led stays on and the "L" led blinks.

I believe I said it was a Dell 650, wrong...
It's a Dell 600 latitude, running: Windows XP Professional ver 2002, SP3; 1.6 ghz; 2g ram; 60g hard drive.

Start the IDE, close all other windows, and try uploading. If it doesn't work, look at Device Manager to see if COM4 is still there.

Sorry, had to reboot my system, and it took me a long time to find my post. I'm new at this.

Anyway, did what Isaac suggested, having no other programs running. The upload still resulted in the SAME error!

Checked datasheet of AT328 to make sure they had installed it properly, it was find, thought they may have installed it backwards.

This is getting frustrating... Paid good money, and not have it work?!

Try deleting and re-installing the Arduino IDE ?

...R

Uninstalled, reinstalled, loaded program "MyBlink", tired of changing the original, tried, failed.

Using Manger, up dated the driver, after renaming all other .inf to .xinf, so that only "arduino.inf" would be selected and installed.

Tried again, got same results.

Was is this pin 2, something about serial?
Pin 13 for the on board led vs pin 13 for digital i/o on the board?

I'm about to send this kit back. Its not doing me any good and wasting my time...

Disconnect everything, close all windows, open the Arduino IDE, and plug in the Arduino. Open Device Manager, and find the board. Upload the sketch while watching the Device Manager window. Does the board disappear?

Well, I'm sending you all that Helped and those that view my problem...

As it turns out, the problem was not Ardunio Uno breadboard or the Arduino programing the board, it was that the Com port on the Dell computer is BAD! Would not pass anything thru. It took me several days to realize this.

So installed Arduino on a different computer, I didn't want to do that!, for now all is well...

Sorry to have wasted your time as well as mine on this problem.

Thanks for all the advices, as to what so be done.

Thus ending this blog problem.

AmAnArduinoUser:
it was that the Com port on the Dell computer is BAD! Would not pass anything thru. It took me several days to realize this.

That sort of thing can be VERY frustrating.

Glad you have found a solution.

...R

Some computers just have flaws.