Centipede Shield - also a contest!

Just an update: checking through all the entries and will be announcing the winners soon!

Sounds good :smiley:

Mowcius

macegr, it seems that you got into some trouble, did you connect the ground?

This was really tough to judge...there were a lot of great project ideas! I really would have liked to give out more Centipede Shields, but I just don't have many prototypes yet. I'll send PMs to the winners asking for address information. They'll receive a Centipede Shield without the Arduino headers or 20-pin connectors soldered in place, but will have the headers available if they need them.

Winners:

Rupin
He didn't have as much to say about his project, but it's a pretty straightforward problem. A cable with 60 pins...how do you test each wire for continuity along the cable, and possible shorts between each conductor? A lot of time with a multimeter, or a device that can pass current through each of the 60 pins in turn, and watch all the others for suspicious activity. You need a LOT of general purpose I/O, which means the Centipede Shield is the perfect way to build a test rig for these cables.

_Sterling
The train project idea is great...lots of sensors and things to control, and model train layouts can change a lot over time. It's good to have a controller that can be reconfigured to any mix of inputs and outputs necessary. I'll keep an eye out for this project, sounds like a lot of fun!

Honorable Mention:

Giant Eye
kokuma
kyndal
mowcius

These users all had projects that made it hard to choose the two winners above...if I had more Centipede Shields to give out, you would all get one! Sorry you didn't make it...however, you can still use the Centipede Library above, and rig up something with the DIP version of the MCP23017 on a proto shield.

Thanks to everyone who participated! I may be running another couple contests for other prototypes very soon. One will be very interesting to you LED types, and another will give you wireless junkies the blues.

Sounds good! I will be purchading one then as I unfortunately didn't win but they were good projects that made the top!

Mowcius

Congrats to the winners!

I haven't yet received responses to my private message to the two winners. If you read this, please check your PMs and send me your shipping addresses!

If I don't hear back by November 27th I will select new winners from the existing entries.

I'm still in luck then :smiley: lol

Say--I'm a bit slow on this, but do I understand right that this would allow for 64 buttons to be read basically simultaneously, as well as leaving a few analog I/O pins available? I ask because I'm interested in rewiring a few of the old Thrustmaster FLCS/TQS/Rudder pedals, which would require 6 axes and (count, count) gosh, 30-40 buttons, and I'm trying to figure a way to do it all. I was looking at shift registers, but I'm not sure how well that will work.

Umm, yeah just about.

Mowcius

Have the boards being claimed yet? I'm looking forward to seeing those projects :smiley:

Mowcius

Let me know if they ever go on sale. I think there'd be a decent market for 'em.

Yeah I am waiting for them :smiley:

Mowcius

Sorry for the delay everyone...the winners I chose never responded to their private messages. I apologize that the new winners had to wait so long for this to come to a conclusion.

New winners:

mowcius
Submitted several project ideas, any of which will work with the Centipede Shield. Leans a bit toward the output-only side of things, but I think mowcius will find some good uses.

kokuma
The musical instrument idea looks really interesting, and could require a lot of inputs and outputs. Definitely looking forward to seeing what this project looks like!

I am sending PMs to the two new winners to request shipping information.

Yeah :smiley:

I will be documenting all my projects with it on my website (when I eventually get it online!)

Mowcius

You thinking about selling these? guess i am gonna need one after all for my robot... what fun. And this might be a bit cheaper than making one myself.

Has this been sent off yet? I am eagerly waiting for a play with it. My lasers have arrived now. I will have 40 in a few weeks, fun fun!

Mowcius

It should be there already, but with the holiday shipping delays it might be held up. Let me know when you get it...

Ok brilliant. Yeah everything has been slow recently and that was before we had all the snow!

It'll be sliding its way towards me no doubt :stuck_out_tongue:

Meanwhile, i've been out on my mountain unicycle in the snow :smiley:

Mowcius

My centipede shield arrived three days ago. It's great!