OneShot125 ESC

Hello guys, newbie here.

So, I have an Arduino Due and a BLHeli flashed ESC (Afro), and I want to use the OneShot feature.

Is there any library for this? Or has anyone already coded for this aplication?
How should I set my PWM frequency and dutycycle?

I have found this code, but I don't get it, how do I make it work?

void pwm_OneShot(uint32_t ch, uint32_t value){
  PWMC_SetDutyCycle(PWM, ch, value);

PWMC_EnableChannel(PWM, ch);          //counter is reset here, pulse starts right now

PWMC_SetDutyCycle(PWM, ch, 0);       //this stops pulsing until this function is called again (this gets written in the update register and does not affect the current pulse)

PWMC_DisableChannel(PWM, CH);         //channel is disabled at the end of current period
}

Thanks!

Hi barbosafs,

Unfortunately the Arduino Due, unlike the Arduino Zero doesn't have PWM oneshot built in. Although, as you code above suggests, it's possible by enabling the PWM, loading the buffered duty cycle update register (REG_PWM_CDTYUPD0), then disabling PWM to generate a single oneshot pulse on the output.

The first consideration is the timer speed. For a standard multi-rotor ESC we use 1000us to 2000us, PWM pulse widths at a frequency from 250Hz to 500Hz. For single slope PWM this is achieved using a base PWM timer frequency of 1MHz. Using this method it's possible to load the duty cycle register with the standard 1000us to 2000us values and output corresponding 1000us to 2000us pulses.

For Oneshot125 though, we require 125us to 250us pulses. To achieve these pulse widths we just need to increase the timer speed 8 times, giving us a base timer frequency of 8MHz. Using this method it's possible to load the duty cycle register with the standard 1000us to 2000us values and output corresponding 125us to 250us pulses.

The next issue is that the 84MHz clock on the Arduino Due isn't divisible by 8. However, I remembered reading an article for the Taulab's CC3D flight controller: User Guide: OneShot125 · TauLabs/TauLabs Wiki · GitHub. They instead used a 12MHz PWM timer base frequency and multiplied the standard 1000us to 2000us values by 1.5, before loading them into the duty cycle register. 12MHz works nicely for the Due as we can divide 84MHz by 7.

The oneshot is achieved as you code snippet mentioned, just by enabling PWM, loading the buffered duty cycle update register (REG_PWM_CDTYUPD0) then disabling PWM. By the way, the period is set to a value greater than 250us. This value isn't critical, as we're using oneshot rather than repeating the pulse at a given frequency. I've set the period to 2500us * 1.5 = 3750 (or 312.5us).

In the code below just load the REG_PWM_CDTYUPD0 register with the throttle value (1000us - 2000us), multiplied by 1.5. I've set it to half throttle in this example. It goes without saying, if your using a propeller, it's best to test it first with the prop off.

The following code sets up Oneshot125 output on the DAC1 pin (PWML0):

// Output Oneshot125 PWM on pin DAC1 (PWML0)
void setup() 
{
  // PWM Set-up on pin: DAC1
  REG_PMC_PCER1 |= PMC_PCER1_PID36;                     // Enable PWM 
  REG_PIOB_ABSR |= PIO_ABSR_P16;                        // Set PWM pin perhipheral type A or B, in this case B
  REG_PIOB_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P16;                          // Set PWM pin to an output
  REG_PWM_CLK = PWM_CLK_PREA(0) | PWM_CLK_DIVA(7);      // Set the PWM clock rate to 12MHz (84MHz/7) 
  REG_PWM_CMR0 = PWM_CMR_CPRE_CLKA;                     // Enable single slope PWM and set the clock source as CLKA
  REG_PWM_CPRD0 = 3750;                                 // Set the PWM frequency less than 4kHz to 12MHz/3750 = 3.2kHz 
  REG_PWM_CDTY0 = 0;                                    // Set the PWM duty cycle to 0
  REG_PWM_ENA = PWM_ENA_CHID0;                          // Enable the PWM channel 0    
}

void loop() 
{ 
  // Delay - normally replace this line with your motor control code
  delay(2);                                             // Simulate looptime at 2ms

// Note that 1500 below is your standard ESC PWM value 1000us - min, 1500us - half and 2000us - max throttle
  // Multiplied by 1.5 to account for the 12MHz timer clock, (the Due is unable to generate the 8MHz clock we require)
  REG_PWM_ENA = PWM_ENA_CHID0;                          // Enable the PWM channel - retrigger the Oneshot125 pulse 
  REG_PWM_CDTYUPD0 = (unsigned long)(1500 * 1.5);       // Set throttle to half throttle - WARNING this will activate the motor
  REG_PWM_DIS = PWM_DIS_CHID0;                          // Disable the PWM channel - however the buffered pulse is still output
}

Hi,
I would like to use oneshot125 protocol on arduino due for my quadcopter. I am using pins 4,5, 6, and 7 for communicating with the esc's of the four motors. Using standard servo signal are not fast enough.

Can you please help me with writing code for the registers/timers to allow the use of oneshot125 pwm on arduino due for all 4 of my pins (pins 4,5,6,7)? I do not know how to use registers as the way you have in the previous code for controlling the esc through pin DAC1 (67 found on this website: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/PinMappingSAM3X).

Thank you for your help I greatly appreciate it!

Hi Markishere123,

The above code uses the Due's 8-channel PWM controller. These channels are only available on certain pins.

Digital pins D6 and D7 are connected to PWM channels 6 (PWML6) and 7 (PWML7) respectively.

Digital pins D4 and D5 however are not connected to the PWM controller, but instead are connected to channels A and B of timer 6. Timers are capable of PWM output, but with more limited functionality.

The question is how easy is it for you to move pins D4 and D5?

If it's just a case of changing wires on a breadboard then I'd move D4 and D5 to other available PWM controller pins. If though it's a more permanent fixture then it would be better to implement a workaround in software using timer 6.

Hi MartinL,

I did some quick research and I believe I can use pins 8 and 9 instead of 4 and 5 since pins 8 and 9 are connected to PWM channels 5 and 4 respectively ( Arduino Due using all hardware PWM channels - Arduino Due - Arduino Forum ).

I have no problem with changing the pins to any other pins since I wrote all the code myself for my quadcopter. My arduino due receives signals and sends the motor signals to the esc's directly.

I understand that I will be changing the value of 1500 in the line of code

REG_PWM_CDTYUPD0 = (unsigned long)(1500 * 1.5); // Set throttle to half throttle - WARNING this will activate the motor

to control the motor speed. I do not know how to use registers and if you will be able to help me with rewriting the code posted above to work for four different pins (preferable 6, 7, 8, 9) or any other 4 I would greatly appreciate it. I assume the code needs to be copied and pasted to create 4 instances and the correct register values should be changed but I don't know how to do this and I don't understand what you have done previously with the registers but I know how to use the code and changing the 1500 with my own values.

Thank you for your help and quick response!

Hi Markishere123,

I attempted to extend Oneshot125 to PWM channels 4 to 7, but unfortunately this doesn't work that well.

The reason is, is that when then PWM is disabled the line goes high impedance. It's just that this effect isn't noticable on channels 0 to 3 (on DAC1, A8, A9 and A10), so I missed it, but should've known. However, it's possible to see a small kick at the end of the time cycle on channels 4 to 7 (on D9, D8, D7 and D6).

A quick solution is to use a 10K resistor pull-down resistors, to hold the lines low, hardly ideal.

The image shows the characteristic 125us pulses on channels 0 and 2 at the top, followed by 4 and 5 at the bottom on my scope:

I guess I'll have to think of some means of generating a Oneshot125 pulse with actively driven outputs.

In the meantime, do your ESC's support standard 490Hz PWM? I've got some Due code that supports this. I used it to fly one of my tricopters.

Hi MartinL,

Thanks for the information!
I am able to use essentially any 4 pins on the Arduino Due for communication with the 4 ESC's. I need to use pins 20 & 21 and 18 & 19 or a different serial port for communication with my radio and gyroscope but all other pins can be used.

Are there four pins on the Due that are capable of being used for oneshot125, since it is not a problem at all to switch wires for me?

I would like to use oneshot125 since it is much faster than standard servo library pulse signals. I am currently using the servo library but would like to use a faster protocol. With the servo library and current code I am able to run 100 loops per second but would like to increase my loops per second.
Also, I don't know how to program registers and would need help with that when creating code for using oneshot125 on four pins.

Thank you for your great help!

Hi Markishere123,

Ok, I finally have a solution and have implemented Oneshot125 on the Due with actively driven outputs.

The problem was I kept on bumping up to limitations of the Due's PWM Controller. The only way to reset the controller's counters is to disable the corresponding channel, but as I mentioned previously this causes the output to go into a high impedance state. Also, it's not possible to access the counter registers as they're read only. So another approach had to be found.

The solution is to allow the PWM Controller's ISR (Interrupt Service Routine) to generate a single pulse. In the code below if you change the motor output values in the loop() portion of the code, the ISR will generate the corresponding single Oneshot125 pulse on the output.

This works on digital outputs D6, D7, D8 and D9.

If you look at the output on a scope you'll notice that there's some jitter between successive pulses, this is because the loop() code is working asynchronously with respect to PWM Controller's timers. When the ISR is enabled in the loop(), it just finds the next available timer cycle on which to output the pulse. I imagine this shouldn't be too much of an issue though.

Anyway, here's the code for the Oneshot125 on the Due:

// Enable Oneshot125 on four channels (4 to 7)
volatile uint16_t motorOutput[] = { 0, 0, 0, 0 };                                 // Motor outputs

void setup() {
  // PWM set-up on pins D9, D8, D7 and D6 for channels 4 through to 7 respectively
  PMC->PMC_PCER1 |= PMC_PCER1_PID36;                                              // Enable PWM 
  PIOC->PIO_ABSR |= PIO_ABSR_P24 | PIO_ABSR_P23 | PIO_ABSR_P22 | PIO_ABSR_P21;    // Set the port C PWM pins to peripheral type B  
  PIOC->PIO_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P24 | PIO_PDR_P23 | PIO_PDR_P22 | PIO_PDR_P21;         // Set the port C PWM pins to outputs
  PWM->PWM_CLK = PWM_CLK_PREA(0) | PWM_CLK_DIVA(7);                               // Set the PWM clock A rate to 12MHz (84MHz/7)          

for (uint8_t i = 4; i < PWMCH_NUM_NUMBER; i++)                                  // Loop for each PWM channel (4 in total)
  {  
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CMR = PWM_CMR_CPRE_CLKA;                               // Enable single slope PWM and set the clock source as CLKA
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CPRD = 3750;                                           // Set the PWM frequency less than 4kHz to 12MHz/3750 = 3.2kHz
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CDTY = 0;                                              // Set the PWM duty cycle to 0% duty-cycle
  } 
  NVIC_SetPriority(PWM_IRQn, 0);               // Set the Nested Vector Interrupt Controller (NVIC) priority for the PWM controller to 0 (highest) 
  NVIC_EnableIRQ(PWM_IRQn);                    // Connect PWM Controller to Nested Vector Interrupt Controller (NVIC)
  PWM->PWM_ENA = PWM_ENA_CHID7 | PWM_ENA_CHID6 | PWM_ENA_CHID5 | PWM_ENA_CHID4;   // Enable all four PWM channels
}

void loop() 
{
  delay(2);                                                                             // Delay to simulate flight control calculations

// Note that 1500 below is your standard ESC PWM value 1000us - min, 1500us - half and 2000us - max throttle
  // Multiplied by 1.5 to account for the 12MHz timer clock, (the Due is unable to generate the 8MHz clock we require)
  // Change your motor output here ...
  motorOutput[0] = (uint16_t)(1000 * 1.5f);
  motorOutput[1] = (uint16_t)(1500 * 1.5f);
  motorOutput[2] = (uint16_t)(2000 * 1.5f);
  motorOutput[3] = (uint16_t)(1000 * 1.5f);
  PWM->PWM_IER1 = PWM_IER1_CHID7 | PWM_IER1_CHID6 | PWM_IER1_CHID5 | PWM_IER1_CHID4;    // Enable update interrupts on all PWM channels
}

void PWM_Handler()                                                // PWM Controller ISR (Interrupt Service Routine)
{
  static uint8_t counter[4];                                      // Channel counter array
  uint32_t status = PWM->PWM_ISR1;                                // Read the interrupt status register - clears interrupt flags

for (uint8_t i = 4; i < PWMCH_NUM_NUMBER; i++)                  // Loop for each PWM channel (4 in total)
  {   
    if (status & PWM_ISR1_CHID0 << i)                             // Check if an compare match condition has occured on each channel
    {   
      if (counter[i - 4] == 0)                                    // Check if the channel counter has been reset
      {
        counter[i - 4]++;                                         // Increment the channel counter
        PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CDTYUPD = motorOutput[i - 4];      // Set output to the pulse width for the channel
      }
      else
      {
        counter[i - 4] = 0;                                       // Reset the channel counter
        PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CDTYUPD = 0;                       // Set output to 0V for the channel
        PWM->PWM_IDR1 = PWM_IDR1_CHID0 << i;                      // Disable compare update interrupt for the channel
      }
    }
  }
}

With regard to the servo library, this operates at 50Hz and doesn't work too well with multi-rotor ESCs, which in the past have traditionally used a standard 200Hz to 490Hz PWM signal. Although this has now been superseded, at least for racing quads, by Oneshot, Multishot and currently DShot.

Below is the code that outputs 490Hz PWM on all 8 of the PWM Controller's outputs. As you can see, the code is somewhat simpler that the Oneshot125 implementation above and fits better with the way the Due was intended to operate:

// Enable dual slope, 11-bit resolution PWM at 490Hz on 8 channels
void setup() {
  // PWM set-up on pins DAC1, A8, A9, A10, D9, D8, D7 and D6 for channels 0 through to 7 respectively
  PMC->PMC_PCER1 |= PMC_PCER1_PID36;                                               // Enable PWM 
  PIOB->PIO_ABSR |= PIO_ABSR_P19 | PIO_ABSR_P18 | PIO_ABSR_P17 | PIO_ABSR_P16;     // Set the port B PWM pins to peripheral type B
  PIOC->PIO_ABSR |= PIO_ABSR_P24 | PIO_ABSR_P23 | PIO_ABSR_P22 | PIO_ABSR_P21;     // Set the port C PWM pins to peripheral type B
  PIOB->PIO_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P19 | PIO_PDR_P18 | PIO_PDR_P17 | PIO_PDR_P16;          // Set the port B PWM pins to outputs
  PIOC->PIO_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P24 | PIO_PDR_P23 | PIO_PDR_P22 | PIO_PDR_P21;          // Set the port C PWM pins to outputs
  PWM->PWM_CLK = PWM_CLK_PREA(0) | PWM_CLK_DIVA(42);                               // Set the PWM clock A rate to 2MHz (84MHz/42)

for (uint8_t i = 0; i < PWMCH_NUM_NUMBER; i++)                       // Loop for each PWM channel (8 in total)
  {
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CMR = PWM_CMR_CALG | PWM_CMR_CPRE_CLKA;     // Enable dual slope PWM and set the clock source as CLKA
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CPRD = 2040;                                // Set the PWM frequency 2MHz/(2 * 2040) = 490Hz;
  } 
  PWM->PWM_ENA = PWM_ENA_CHID7 | PWM_ENA_CHID6 | PWM_ENA_CHID5 | PWM_ENA_CHID4 |  // Enable all PWM channels
                 PWM_ENA_CHID3 | PWM_ENA_CHID2 | PWM_ENA_CHID1 | PWM_ENA_CHID0;
}

void loop() 
{
  delay(2);                                                // Delay to simulate flight controller calculations
  for (uint8_t i = 0; i < PWMCH_NUM_NUMBER; i++)           // Loop for each PWM channel (8 in total)
  {
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CDTYUPD = 1000;                 // Set the PWM duty cycle to 1000 min throttle, 2000 max throttle
  }
}

Just load the duty cycle update registers (CDTYUPD) with the throttle value: 0 = off, 1000 = standby, 1500 = mid throttle, 2000 = max throttle.

Hi MartinL,
Thank you very much for both codes, I will soon be experimenting with the Oneshot125 code. I have been able to change the header files for the servo library to lower the wait between updating new values and thereby increasing from 50HZ to about 300HZ and after experimenting and researching I also changed values in the MPU6050 header files to increase gyroscope collection rate. My code currently runs at about 166 times a second and I am getting pretty good stability. I will soon be trying the Oneshot125 protocol also.
Thank you for your help!

Hi Markishere123,

If you're using the Due soley for the purpose of basic piloted flight control, then I'd say that 166 times a second is somewhat slow. For a high performance micro-controller like the Due, I'd be expecting looptimes in excess of 1000 times per second.

Have you set the I2C Wire library to operate in fast mode at 400kHz for the MPU6050 communication?

Hi MartinL,
Thanks for your continuing help I greatly appreciate it.

Yes, the Due is basically picking up values using an HC-12 radio and running MPU6050 gyroscope. The PID code is then run and the four motors are given their new speeds.

I have tried using 400kHz and 800 kHz for the MPU6050 but there are little changes.
I have used the Serial.print(millis()) in different parts of my code and experimenting with just the gyroscope code has shown me that the main delay happens in the gyroscope collection rate. The default settings give a max collection rate of 100 times a second and I have been doing research into how to increase the gyroscope output rate. I understand this may not be specifically the forum for this question but if you know how I can increase the gyroscope output rate to higher numbers I would appreciate it. Researching this information is pretty difficult and I've been changing different numbers in the header files. Changing different numbers has led me to achieve 166 loops per second.

In the header file "MPU6050_6Axis_MotionApps20.h" I changed the value in setRate() from setRate(4) to 2.
Using 1 and 3 gave me 8 ms looptimes while 0 and 2 gave me 6 ms looptimes which I am currently using.
Also, in the "MPU6050" header file I experimented with changing the #define MPU6050_CFG_DLPF_CFG_BIT 2
from the original value of 2 to 1 but I currently have it on 2 and don't remember the effects of using 1 because I was out over the weekend.
I am unsure if using higher gyroscope rates results in worse quality readings (accuracy) but I would love to experiment and if you have suggestions I would love to implement them and experiment. I think if I can have over 200 or 300 loops per second or even greater numbers I would be able to achieve much better stability.

Thank you for all your help in this project!

Hi Markishere123,

Have you tried using the Due's native USB port instead? This runs somewhat faster than the programming port.

The delay might have something to do with the MPU6050's configuration, especially if you're using its Digital Motion Processor (DMP) and/or interrupts. It might be worth checking the MPU6050's "sample rate" setting. In the "MPU6050_6Axis_MotionApps20.h" file it's set to 200Hz, although the maximum (with DLPF filtering) is 1kHz.

You'll probably also need to set the MPU6050's DLPF to around either 20Hz or 42Hz.

MartinL:
With regard to the servo library, this operates at 50Hz and doesn't work too well with multi-rotor ESCs, which in the past have traditionally used a standard 200Hz to 490Hz PWM signal. Although this has now been superseded, at least for racing quads, by Oneshot, Multishot and currently DShot.

Below is the code that outputs 490Hz PWM on all 8 of the PWM Controller's outputs. As you can see, the code is somewhat simpler that the Oneshot125 implementation above and fits better with the way the Due was intended to operate:

// Enable dual slope, 11-bit resolution PWM at 490Hz on 8 channels

void setup() {
 // PWM set-up on pins DAC1, A8, A9, A10, D9, D8, D7 and D6 for channels 0 through to 7 respectively
 PMC->PMC_PCER1 |= PMC_PCER1_PID36;                                               // Enable PWM
 PIOB->PIO_ABSR |= PIO_ABSR_P19 | PIO_ABSR_P18 | PIO_ABSR_P17 | PIO_ABSR_P16;     // Set the port B PWM pins to peripheral type B
 PIOC->PIO_ABSR |= PIO_ABSR_P24 | PIO_ABSR_P23 | PIO_ABSR_P22 | PIO_ABSR_P21;     // Set the port C PWM pins to peripheral type B
 PIOB->PIO_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P19 | PIO_PDR_P18 | PIO_PDR_P17 | PIO_PDR_P16;          // Set the port B PWM pins to outputs
 PIOC->PIO_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P24 | PIO_PDR_P23 | PIO_PDR_P22 | PIO_PDR_P21;          // Set the port C PWM pins to outputs
 PWM->PWM_CLK = PWM_CLK_PREA(0) | PWM_CLK_DIVA(42);                               // Set the PWM clock A rate to 2MHz (84MHz/42)

for (uint8_t i = 0; i < PWMCH_NUM_NUMBER; i++)                       // Loop for each PWM channel (8 in total)
 {
   PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CMR = PWM_CMR_CALG | PWM_CMR_CPRE_CLKA;     // Enable dual slope PWM and set the clock source as CLKA
   PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CPRD = 2040;                                // Set the PWM frequency 2MHz/(2 * 2040) = 490Hz;
 }
 PWM->PWM_ENA = PWM_ENA_CHID7 | PWM_ENA_CHID6 | PWM_ENA_CHID5 | PWM_ENA_CHID4 |  // Enable all PWM channels
                PWM_ENA_CHID3 | PWM_ENA_CHID2 | PWM_ENA_CHID1 | PWM_ENA_CHID0;
}

void loop()
{
 delay(2);                                                // Delay to simulate flight controller calculations
 for (uint8_t i = 0; i < PWMCH_NUM_NUMBER; i++)           // Loop for each PWM channel (8 in total)
 {
   PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CDTYUPD = 1000;                 // Set the PWM duty cycle to 1000 min throttle, 2000 max throttle
 }
}

Just load the duty cycle update registers (CDTYUPD) with the throttle value: 0 = off, 1000 = standby, 1500 = mid throttle, 2000 = max throttle.

I don't know if it's appropriate to revive this topic but I am trying to implement Oneshot125 on an Arduino Nano and am unfamiliar with the background logic of the PWM implementation so I'm having trouble adapting your code. Could you help? Pointers to where I can learn more would be great if you have them as well.

Hi Juckix,

I implemented Oneshot125 for the Arduino Mega in this Arduino forum thread: Arduino MEGA + OneShot125 - Robotics - Arduino Forum. Please find the zip file MegaOneshot125.zip at the bottom of the thread.

The Arduino Nano uses timer 1 on outputs OCR1A (D9) and OCR1B (D10). You should be able to get Oneshot125 on these two pins by just deleting references to the timers 3, 4 and 5 on the Mega, as well as the additional OC1C channel on timer 1, which the Nano doesn't have.

The best place to learn about setting up PWM for the Arduino Nano is from the Atmega328P datasheet. There are a number of PWM modes, but the most useful for controlling brushless ESCs are called fast PWM (single slope) and phase and frequency correct PWM (dual slope).

As an example, here's some code that uses standard dual slope PWM to control two servos at 50Hz on D9 and D10. To generate 490Hz for brushless multi-rotor ESCs, just change the ICR1 register to from 20000 to 2040, (ORC1x registers: 1000 = min throttle, 2000 = max throttle):

// Set-up hadware PWM on the Arduino UNO at 50Hz on pins 9 and 10
void setup() { 
  // Initialise timer 1 for phase and frequency correct PWM
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);                         // Set digital pin 9 (D9) to an output
  pinMode(10, OUTPUT);                        // Set digital pin 10 (D10) to an output
  TCCR1A = _BV(COM1A1) | _BV(COM1B1);         // Enable the PWM outputs OC1A, and OC1B on digital pins 9, 10
  TCCR1B = _BV(WGM13) | _BV(CS11);            // Set phase and frequency correct PWM and prescaler of 8 on timer 1
  ICR1 = 20000;                               // Set the PWM frequency to 50Hz
  OCR1A = 1500;                               // Centre the servo on D9
  OCR1B = 1500;                               // Centre the servo on D10
}

void loop() {
  OCR1A = 1000;                               // Move the servo to min position on D9  
  OCR1B = 1000;                               // Move the servo to min position on D10
  delay(1000);                                // Wait for 1 second
  OCR1A = 2000;                               // Move the servo to max position on D9
  OCR1B = 2000;                               // Move the servo to max position on D10
  delay(1000);                                // Wait for 1 second
}

Warning: Please remove the propellers if you're testing this code with brushless motors.

MartinL:
Hi Juckix,

I implemented Oneshot125 for the Arduino Mega in this Arduino forum thread: Arduino MEGA + OneShot125 - Robotics - Arduino Forum. Please find the zip file MegaOneshot125.zip at the bottom of the thread.

The Arduino Nano uses timer 1 on outputs OCR1A (D9) and OCR1B (D10). You should be able to get Oneshot125 on these two pins by just deleting references to the timers 3, 4 and 5 on the Mega, as well as the additional OC1C channel on timer 1, which the Nano doesn't have.

The best place to learn about setting up PWM for the Arduino Nano is from the Atmega328P datasheet. There are a number of PWM modes, but the most useful for controlling brushless ESCs are called fast PWM (single slope) and phase and frequency correct PWM (dual slope).

As an example, here's some code that uses standard dual slope PWM to control two servos at 50Hz on D9 and D10. To generate 490Hz for brushless multi-rotor ESCs, just change the ICR1 register to from 20000 to 2040, (ORC1x registers: 1000 = min throttle, 2000 = max throttle):

// Set-up hadware PWM on the Arduino UNO at 50Hz on pins 9 and 10

void setup() {
  // Initialise timer 1 for phase and frequency correct PWM
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);                        // Set digital pin 9 (D9) to an output
  pinMode(10, OUTPUT);                        // Set digital pin 10 (D10) to an output
  TCCR1A = _BV(COM1A1) | _BV(COM1B1);        // Enable the PWM outputs OC1A, and OC1B on digital pins 9, 10
  TCCR1B = _BV(WGM13) | _BV(CS11);            // Set phase and frequency correct PWM and prescaler of 8 on timer 1
  ICR1 = 20000;                              // Set the PWM frequency to 50Hz
  OCR1A = 1500;                              // Centre the servo on D9
  OCR1B = 1500;                              // Centre the servo on D10
}

void loop() {
  OCR1A = 1000;                              // Move the servo to min position on D9 
  OCR1B = 1000;                              // Move the servo to min position on D10
  delay(1000);                                // Wait for 1 second
  OCR1A = 2000;                              // Move the servo to max position on D9
  OCR1B = 2000;                              // Move the servo to max position on D10
  delay(1000);                                // Wait for 1 second
}

**Warning: Please remove the propellers if you're testing this code with brushless motors.**

Code does indeed create 1-2ms pulses at 50Hz. Thanks! Although I believe Oneshot125 uses 125-255 microsecond pulses? (What is Oneshot ESC Protocol - Active Braking - Oscar Liang)

I will post some code I wrote that also creates the right signal, tested with an ESC.

I also have to ask what the ICR1 registry does, as I don't really understand what's written about it in the datasheet. (but I'll keep reading)

Here's the code that I wrote that works on a Nano:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
#include <Servo.h>

int pinA0 = 14;

/// Takes a pin number and a throttle value 0-100 and sets appropriate PWM on that pin for Oneshot125 ESCs
void oneshot125(int pin, int throttle){

int mc_s = map(throttle, 0, 100, 125, 255); // Convert from received 0-100 throttle to 125-255 microsecond value

if(pin == 9)
  {
    OCR1A = mc_s; // Write value to register directly, cycles happen to be 1 microsecond with current config

return; 
  } else if (pin == 10) {
    OCR1B = mc_s;

return;
  } else {
    Serial.println("oneshot125(): Invalid pin");

return;
  }

}

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600); // Debug

pinMode(9, OUTPUT); // OCR1A PWM pin
  pinMode(10, OUTPUT); // OCR1B PWM pin

TCCR1A = 0; // Reset PWM registers
  TCCR1B = 0;

TCCR1A = _BV(COM1A1) | _BV(COM1B1) | _BV(WGM13) | _BV(WGM12) | _BV(WGM11) | _BV(WGM10); // Not sure what the COM bits decide, WGM bits select FastPWM mode
  TCCR1B = _BV(CS11); // Clock prescale set to 64? (datasheet says 8?), fq is 16MHz/64/256 = 976.563Hz (oscope says 977.532Hz)
  //TCCR1B = _BV(CS10); // Clock prescale set to 8? (datasheet says 1?), fq is 16MHz/8/256 = 7.8125kHz (oscope says 7.8203kHz)

OCR1A = 0; // Set duty cycle to 0%
  OCR1B = 0;

pinMode(pinA0, INPUT); // Used for a potentiometer input
  Serial.println("Setup complete;");
}

void loop() {
  int in = analogRead(pinA0); // Read potentiometer position
  in = map(in, 0, 1023, 0, 100); // Map to 0-100 throttle
  delay(2); // Simulate flight controller logic loop
  oneshot125(9, in); // Output throttle variable "in" via the oneshot125() function
}

This sweeps the throttle according to a potentiometer input, creating 125.00-255.00 microsecond pulses at 977Hz.

I don't understand how the frequency is picked since the clock prescaler seems different from the datasheet, and I don't know how to use the ICR1 registry to adjust the pulse frequency as MartinL showed, but there you have it.

The following resource was also useful for experimenting with, and a lot more easily digestible than the Atmel datasheets: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SecretsOfArduinoPWM

Hi Juckix,

Code does indeed create 1-2ms pulses at 50Hz. Thanks! Although I believe Oneshot125 uses 125-255 microsecond pulses? (What is Oneshot ESC Protocol - Active Braking - Oscar Liang)

If you follow the link I provided in my previous response, you'll find an implementation of Oneshot125 on the Arduino Mega: Arduino MEGA + OneShot125 - Robotics - Arduino Forum.

While it's straightforward to create continuous Oneshot125 style pulses in the 125us to 250us range, it's more difficult to create a manually triggered single pulse.

The issue is that the Uno, Nano, Mega and other AVR microcontrollers, as well as the ARM based Due, do not have the internal hardware to nessary to create a manually triggered oneshot pulse. However, it's possible to circumvent this problem with the use of Interrupt Service Routines (ISRs).

On the other hand, the SAMD21 based Arduinos such as the Arduino Zero and the MKR series, and I imagine the STM32 microcontrollers used in the latest flight controllers, do have oneshot functionality built into at least some of their timers.

Hello guys,

i have some questions to the code:

for the arduino due, would it be better, to use oneshot42 in relation to the 84mhz clock?
Or i am wrong?

the pulse will be genrated after this part of code, is that right?

motorOutput[0] = (uint16_t)(1000 * 1.5f);
  motorOutput[1] = (uint16_t)(1500 * 1.5f);
  motorOutput[2] = (uint16_t)(2000 * 1.5f);
  motorOutput[3] = (uint16_t)(1000 * 1.5f);
  PWM->PWM_IER1 = PWM_IER1_CHID7 | PWM_IER1_CHID6 | PWM_IER1_CHID5 | PWM_IER1_CHID4;
[\code]

Thanks for your help!

Hi lehna291,

The 84MHz Arduino Due isn't really an exact frequency match for either Oneshot125 or Oneshot42, but is more than good enough for the purposes of driving an Electronic Speed Controller.

More modern microcontrollers usually have timer oneshot capability built in, without the need to resort to an interrupt service routine.

Here's the code for Oneshot42 on the Arduino Due:

// Enable Oneshot42 on four channels (4 to 7)
volatile uint16_t motorOutput[] = { 0, 0, 0, 0 };                                 // Motor outputs

void setup() {
  // PWM set-up on pins D9, D8, D7 and D6 for channels 4 through to 7 respectively
  PMC->PMC_PCER1 |= PMC_PCER1_PID36;                                              // Enable PWM 
  PIOC->PIO_ABSR |= PIO_ABSR_P24 | PIO_ABSR_P23 | PIO_ABSR_P22 | PIO_ABSR_P21;    // Set the port C PWM pins to peripheral type B  
  PIOC->PIO_PDR |= PIO_PDR_P24 | PIO_PDR_P23 | PIO_PDR_P22 | PIO_PDR_P21;         // Set the port C PWM pins to outputs
  PWM->PWM_CLK = PWM_CLK_PREA(0) | PWM_CLK_DIVA(2);                               // Set the PWM clock A rate to 42MHz (84MHz/2)          

for (uint8_t i = 4; i < PWMCH_NUM_NUMBER; i++)                                  // Loop for each PWM channel (4 in total)
  {  
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CMR = PWM_CMR_CPRE_CLKA;                               // Enable single slope PWM and set the clock source as CLKA
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CPRD = 4376;                                           // Set the PWM frequency less than 12kHz to 42MHz/4376 = 9.5kHz
    PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CDTY = 0;                                              // Set the PWM duty cycle to 0% duty-cycle
  } 
  NVIC_SetPriority(PWM_IRQn, 0);               // Set the Nested Vector Interrupt Controller (NVIC) priority for the PWM controller to 0 (highest) 
  NVIC_EnableIRQ(PWM_IRQn);                    // Connect PWM Controller to Nested Vector Interrupt Controller (NVIC)
  PWM->PWM_ENA = PWM_ENA_CHID7 | PWM_ENA_CHID6 | PWM_ENA_CHID5 | PWM_ENA_CHID4;   // Enable all four PWM channels
}

void loop() 
{
  delay(2);                                                                             // Delay to simulate flight control calculations

// Multiplied by 1.75 to account for the 42MHz timer clock, (the Due is unable to generate the 24MHz clock we require)
  // Change your motor output here ...
  motorOutput[0] = (uint16_t)(1000 * 1.75f);
  motorOutput[1] = (uint16_t)(1500 * 1.75f);
  motorOutput[2] = (uint16_t)(2000 * 1.75f);
  motorOutput[3] = (uint16_t)(1000 * 1.75f);
  PWM->PWM_IER1 = PWM_IER1_CHID7 | PWM_IER1_CHID6 | PWM_IER1_CHID5 | PWM_IER1_CHID4;    // Enable update interrupts on all PWM channels
}

void PWM_Handler()                                                // PWM Controller ISR (Interrupt Service Routine)
{
  static uint8_t counter[4];                                      // Channel counter array
  uint32_t status = PWM->PWM_ISR1;                                // Read the interrupt status register - clears interrupt flags

for (uint8_t i = 4; i < PWMCH_NUM_NUMBER; i++)                  // Loop for each PWM channel (4 in total)
  {   
    if (status & PWM_ISR1_CHID0 << i)                             // Check if an compare match condition has occured on each channel
    {   
      if (counter[i - 4] == 0)                                    // Check if the channel counter has been reset
      {
        counter[i - 4]++;                                         // Increment the channel counter
        PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CDTYUPD = motorOutput[i - 4];      // Set output to the pulse width for the channel
      }
      else
      {
        counter[i - 4] = 0;                                       // Reset the channel counter
        PWM->PWM_CH_NUM[i].PWM_CDTYUPD = 0;                       // Set output to 0V for the channel
        PWM->PWM_IDR1 = PWM_IDR1_CHID0 << i;                      // Disable compare update interrupt for the channel
      }
    }
  }
}