Some success with writeCID

Hi yyzyyz,

yyzyyz:
I think it totally depends on the controller and the firmware running on it and as DavidLE has also mentioned, it's unique to each controller type. So what works on an SMI controller might not work on a Micron controller, for example.

I don't think so.
Surely controller do its part but it acts based on what it is programmed for.
OK, the firmware is unique among the controllers so it isn't simple to put it on different ones, but even talking about a single type of cards it's possible find them able to do things that on other with the same controller are programmed different so them don't work the same way.
In my experience I handled some card which had the same controller for sure having I ripped them for looking inside, but totally them didn't behave in the same manner.
You need to keep in mind that cards, even with the same controller, can be purposely programmed different for specific purposes.
The controller may be unique, the firmware inside it no.
There are too many different types and kind of cards.

yyzyyz:
Although Alexel provided a good lead on the Silicon Motion controllers, he did not care to mention which card he was testing with. Similarly, DavidLE hasn't mentioned which brand of cards and specific controllers did he succeed with. I've sent them both a PM for more details but they haven't responded yet.

For me, based on what I just wrote above, the content of CID and CSD and possibly a few other registers, is sufficient to identify the right cards.
I saw many cards, even industrial version, which were the same type and model with the same brand and from the same manufacturer but parts inside were different although the cards were fully interchangeable among them.
Anyone can easily verify by self simply buying a little amount of cards and quering or even ripping them.
This is why I don't trust only on the controller.
DavidLE and Alexel approach is good, exactly like that in the document I provided.
Anyway my purposes may be different from those of others and this could influence the kind of the approach.
For instance I don't need to find a way so that I'm in the position to change the CID in all card over the whole world.
For my purpose it's enough find even one single piece where I can do the job.
No matter even the type of card, if MMC or SD or fake or counterfeit or unreliable to keep data, or so, it doesn't important for me.
That is.
However I hope that David and Alexiel sooner or later reply at you.

yyzyyz:
Unfortunately, there's no easy way (that I know of) to determine which cards employ which controller by just interacting with the card firmware. I hope you have better luck with the Chinese cards; please do let us know how it goes.

In the past I've contacted some manufacturer by asking for that kind of cards and they answered at me that they can provide them for sure.
The fact is that they always ask for a bunch of cards to be purchased and never they provide exactly specifications or the content of CID and CSD neither the opportunity to evaluate their products simply by purchasing few piece.
I'm talking of Chinese manufacturer/dealer/retailers.
Please pay attention that I am not blaming or accusing anyone, simply that is their way to run the business and customers must to accept it.
I think that people who live in Asia have an advantage in this type of search.

AR