Go Down

Topic: Car Stereo (Read 844 times) previous topic - next topic

statue4

Does anyone recommend a particular Bluetooth board for audio? I'd like to be able to display the currently playing song on a display and control (play/pause, skip). RN-52? Any experience doing this with Arduino.

What about a particular radio tuner board?

What about controlling an iPod via USB? Using an Arduino would I be able to show the song name on a display and play/pause etc?

Sorry for the rudimentary questions.

ian332isport

I've used the BC127 and WT32i, but the RN-52 should also work. I think the BC127 was probably easier to use, but the WT32i has more features, which is why I ended up using it. I tend to use Teensy boards these days, but either would work fine with Arduino boards.

If you just want FM radio, the TEA5767 or Si4703 are probably the most popular. I wanted DAB radio as well, so used the T2_L4A_8650C from Keystone Semiconductors. This is easiest to find on the Monkeyboard, but individual modules can be found.

Controlling the iPod depends on the iPod model. Older 30 pin devices can be controlled directly over serial, but anything with a lightning connector has to be MFI certified to be able to do anything through the connector. You can however do it via the Bluetooth AVRCP profile. This allows play/pause/skip etc, as well as getting song & artist names.

Ian.

lastchancename

OP, you mentioned "...Audio and RDS data comes from an FM chip(hooked up to car antenna...".     What part is that?

If it's all in one, you may only need to control that chip and generate a user interface.  Plug the audio outputs across to your amplifiers and bingo.

(You're also likely to need a crossover per channel, to split the 4amps you're hoping for.)
When posting - use the toolbar and read the stickies if you're not sure!  </code> tags are our friend!
You can lead a plug to an outlet, but you can't make them turn it on.

statue4

Thanks for the responses. I won't be taking any stereo-related steps in the near future because I need to wait until I can afford to spend more money on car stuff. I'm still not sure which route I'll go, but if it is the Arduino route I will keep the thread updated (likely looking for help).
Ian, thanks for mentioning those boards.  What is DAB radio?

ian332isport

What is DAB radio?
It's the digital radio system used in Europe. I believe it's also used in Australia and and probably other places as well.

Ian.

statue4

Hi all,
I am currently leaning more towards the "build my own unit" option more than any of the stereo receivers on the market. Today I got out the ol' box of electronics project stuff and played with various inputs and outputs. It seems like I have a decent grasp of basic Arduino-ing.

My question today is: how can I switch between multiple audio inputs to send to an amplifier? I don't intend to have any audio actually processed by the Arduino. So this would be a relays thing, but any tips for audio instead of just an on/off signal? Also volume control.

lastchancename

Jan 23, 2018, 05:17 am Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018, 05:18 am by lastchancename
how can I switch between multiple audio inputs to send to an amplifier
Basically two choices -

1) an audio crosspoint matrix (chip)
Remember to match your line impedance with the nominated chip...
There are several available, and probably the 'best' way to go.
2) a simple relay matrix (with low-moving-mass relays... e.g. reed relays)
But a bit clunky, and needs transistors etc to drive the relays.
When posting - use the toolbar and read the stickies if you're not sure!  </code> tags are our friend!
You can lead a plug to an outlet, but you can't make them turn it on.

ian332isport

I really like the PGA2311 for volume control duties. If you want to add a bit of signal processing, you may want to look at the offerings from MiniDSP.

I've used some small, latching, signal relays for source switching in the past. Also gives a nice satisfying click when you change source. Latching is nice, as you don't have to constantly power the coils, and they retain state with no power.

Ian.

statue4

Ian,
I like the sound of those latching relays. I'll have to look into them.

Are there any reasons I cant just have a potentiometer before the amplifier to control volume? Or would that add noise or something?

ian332isport

Nothing particularly wrong with using a potentiometer. Anything you add into the audio path is going to add some noise. How much depends on the quality of the components used. Digital options like the PGA2311 are useful if you're trying to interface with a rotary encoder, or steering wheel mounted controls. Using a rotary encoder, also gives the option of using the same knob for accessing a menu system.

Ian.

statue4

I learned about some engine work I may have to do, which would push this project even further back on the priority list. When I do get the chance to make progress I will post a parts list here before purchasing anything to see if I am headed in the right direction or not. I will probably purchase a two channel amp in the near future so I can hook up an iPod or something straight to it so I have something to listen to in the meantime with the intention of using that amp for this project.

Go Up