Means of actively searching for water

I'm a bit new here but I do have some decent experience with programming in C# and at lower end BEAM robotics.

Anyways...

I know the idea of how the regular water sensors work on the arduino but is there some way of making an arduino robot actively search for water ( because this one runs on a battery that requires a regular supply of water ). I can use an old processor like the i4 or i5 if the arduino doesn't have the capability to process the data whether it'd be video, image or something else.

but is there some way of making an arduino robot actively search for water

You might either torture it, or ply it with liquor and women.

If you do manage to find a sensor that will remotely detect the direction of water then rush out a patent application you are on to something big.

How do the Mars rovers do it?

robtillaart:
How do the Mars rovers do it?

Basically they don't, they look for signs of water in rock formation. Bylooking at the minrilisation you can conclude that they had to form in water. You can get a remote detection of the elements that make up water by spectral analysis of the reflected sunlight but you have to be looking straight at it. Then it is not water you see but the spectral components of water and as has been proven a few times this is not the same thing.
You can test if something is water once you have found something but to seek it implies a signal you can lock onto some sort of signal. Short of water devining I am not sure how you do this.

Baby sea turtles after hatching immediate head for open water even if they cannot see it. They apparently detect polarized light reflecting off the water. Of course your Arduino robot may not be as smart as a baby turtle.

Baby sea turtles after hatching immediate head for open water even if they cannot see it.

Maybe they just hear the noise or follow the slope of the beach (I'm just guessing, no biologist)

So I'm putting my best assumption that it hasn't been done on the arduino, right?

Well I would say at all not only just on an arduino. However a bit more information about what you actually mean would not go amiss.

Maybe they just hear the noise or follow the slope of the beach (I'm just guessing, no biologist)

They cross dunes that block the view and are just as adept when the ocean is quite. Note that crossing a dune means going uphill first. A team of biologists equipped some turtle babies with goggles that block polarization. They became disoriented. Plain glass goggles had no such effect.

How would we detect polarization with an Arduino. Perhaps a servo, a piece of polarized film and a light sensor?

[quote author=joe mcd link=topic=179748.msg1333830#msg1333830 date=1375107772]

They cross dunes that block the view and are just as adept when the ocean is quite. Note that crossing a dune means going uphill first. A team of biologists equipped some turtle babies with goggles that block polarization. They became disoriented. Plain glass goggles had no such effect.[/quote]
Thanks for explaining how it worked, learned again something today :slight_smile:

How would we detect polarization with an Arduino. Perhaps a servo, a piece of polarized film and a light sensor?

Think that should work, servo only needs to rotate 90o, and it would be cool to use a colour sensor ! different wavelengths => different polarization(?)

The turtles are using the polarization of light bouncing off the water reflected in the sky. So unless the water is open, outside and in sight of a clear sky, it is a non starter.

Couldn't you do that thing with hazel twigs?
Divining?

:smiley:

It actually worked for me with two metal coat hangers when I was a kid. Since I know it can't be done it won't work for me anymore.
Anyway strapping a person to a robot is not going to win any prizes.

GPS --> get current location
[Body of water / river] database stored on SD card or similar. (eg: WATERS Geospatial Data Downloads | US EPA)
Calculate shortest path.
???
Profit.

Assuming your robot is looking for naturally occurring water, and not just looking for a tap.

Couldn't you do that thing with hazel twigs?

I just checked Adafruit and Sparkfun, neither sells a Hazel Twig breakout board.

With a twig look for snap out board.

aarondc:
GPS --> get current location
[Body of water / river] database stored on SD card or similar. (eg: WATERS Geospatial Data Downloads | US EPA)
Calculate shortest path.
???
Profit.

Assuming your robot is looking for naturally occurring water, and not just looking for a tap.

So you should know living where you do, how can you tell that the river and lake have not run dry. Ofcourse we could change it to seeking where water was once known to be.

What did the orbiter a few years back use for detecting ice at the lunar poles?
Was it some kind of neutron detector, or just a blunt instrument of crashing one spacecraft and observing the spectrum of the debris cloud with another?

What did the orbiter a few years back use for detecting ice at the lunar poles?

Cosmic rays eject neutrons from the rocky surface. With no atmosphere on the moon the neutrons can escape into space and be detected. Water & ice are strong neutron absorbers. Thus any ice present creates a "shadow" in the neutron scan.