Intelligent Thermostat Source?

Hello!

Objective is to build an intelligent thermostat, my role for this project is to implement hardware.

In the end, we have to present the project in engineering labs, so we can't connect to an actual boiler, however it needs to do the same functions as a smart thermostat, heating, A/C, AI technology. The labs have oscilloscopes, multimeters, voltmeters, the typical resources in university electronic circuit labs. Since an Arduino can only read DC, how would I power the thermostat using a bridge rectifier and external transformer, and the lab resources?

Materials implemented so far: breadboard, Arduino MKR1000 (5V), 16x2 i2c LCD screen, MLX90614 sensor, 4 channel relay, 1N4004 diodes (should I use 1n4007 instead?).

Pictures attached are references, to see what I have so far. Any feedback on source or improvements would be appreciated. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

My reaction to these pictures is: you have plenty of space on your breaboard. The Arduino has pins sticking out of the bottom of the board. Why do you think it has those pins sticking down?

My second thought is: a university lab with table-cloths? That's posh!

Yep building a power supply as you suggest should do the job.

As these things are commercially available ; I suspect this is a project as part of a course - you will need to research this stuff and justify your decisions . This route will give you the maximum benefit .

Final tip - dump the pp3 , that is not man enough for this project

My thoughts are you have an interesting selection of parts, when does your assignment have to be handed in?

hammy:
Yep building a power supply as you suggest should do the job.

As these things are commercially available ; I suspect this is a project as part of a course - you will need to research this stuff and justify your decisions . This route will give you the maximum benefit .

Final tip - dump the pp3 , that is not man enough for this project

Thanks, appreciate it. Yup, researched it, references say use a bridge rectifier and a 24v external transformer, however all references are designed using an actual boiler. Do you know how to implement these materials on a voltmeter, multi meter, or an oscilloscope?

Also, what's a pp3 lol?

Thanks

What you mean by intelligent thermostat? The ones I have had installed in recent years follow the Federal mandate to attempt to maintain a constant in-house temperature. Saves energy. On top of that some state requirements include an outside temperature sensor to if the outside is warm enough, very little energy will be added to the inside temperature.

Paul

PaulRB:

My reaction to these pictures is: you have plenty of space on your breaboard. The Arduino has pins sticking out of the bottom of the board. Why do you think it has those pins sticking down?

My second thought is: a university lab with table-cloths? That's posh!

Thanks, moved everything up and placed arduino on board. Doing this at home atm lol, haven't tried it in lab yet. Also, just realized will I even need to buy a external transformer, or can the voltmeter play that role?

Paul_KD7HB:
What you mean by intelligent thermostat? The ones I have had installed in recent years follow the Federal mandate to attempt to maintain a constant in-house temperature. Saves energy. On top of that some state requirements include an outside temperature sensor to if the outside is warm enough, very little energy will be added to the inside temperature.

Paul

Basically a thermostat like a nest that uses AI tools and an android application. It should learn behaviour of user and act accordingly. However we are just going to upload sample data and thermostat will behave accordingly.

Will the resources in electronic circuits labs (voltmeter, multimeters, etc) act as as external transformers?

Thanks

hammy:
dump the pp3 , that is not man enough for this project

Or any other project, except maybe a smoke alarm.

nkhan:
Basically a thermostat like a nest that uses AI tools and an android application. It should learn behaviour of user and act accordingly. However we are just going to upload sample data and thermostat will behave accordingly.

Will the resources in electronic circuits labs (voltmeter, multimeters, etc) act as as external transformers?

Thanks

If you have to ask, you are in the wrong class!

Paul

Stumbled across this thead and wonder if OP has made any headway?

I'm keen to know what it means that a thermostat...

nkhan:
..... should learn behaviour of user and act accordingly.

I wonder if that means it should perhaps monitor the times and days of the week there are people in the room / building and then preempt their arrival and have the place all toasty for them?

I'm also wondering how s/he got on with using a voltmeter as a transformer.

nkhan:

Willpatel_Kendmirez:
I wonder if that means it should perhaps monitor the times and days of the week there are people in the room / building and then preempt their arrival and have the place all toasty for them?

I built a Heathkit thermostat way back which did that. They called it an 'anticipator'. No sense of bodies in the room but it learned how the house temp rose and fell and would have room temp at setpoint at the programmed time no matter the outside temp once the schedule was learned. Nice for those frosty mornings!

Willpatel_Kendmirez:
I'm also wondering how s/he got on with using a voltmeter as a transformer.

:roll_eyes:

dougp:
I built a Heathkit thermostat way back which did that. They called it an 'anticipator'.

Was it billed as "AI" on the box? And what AI techniques did it use?

Willpatel_Kendmirez:
Was it billed as "AI" on the box? And what AI techniques did it use?

No. I don't think they even called it 'smart'. "what AI techniques did it use?" Ha! I imagine an algorithm which factored in room temp. rise/fall vs. time. Probably a piece of the HAL9000. :smiley:

"Alexa, please raise the room temperature by two degrees"

"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that"

PaulRB:
"I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that"

Maybe

awol avatar.PNG

could help with that.

Hi,
This worries me!

Also, just realized will I even need to buy a external transformer, or can the voltmeter play that role?

Do you know how to build a regulated DC power supply?
Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

You have all these parts, did you by them, or were they given to do the project?

Can you post a block diagram of how you expect all the is to connect, what do the relays do and tell s how you want each part to perform in your project?

The MLX90614 sensor is a non contact IR thermometer, the temperature of what are you going to measure?

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile: