How to connect button to joystick?

I just got my Esplora today, it looks cool!

However I am puzzled by one simple thing ... how do you connect the supplied button to the top of the joystick? (assuming you are supposed to).

There doesn't seem to be any obvious way (apart from gluing it on).

This is the joystick:

And this is the knob:

There doesn't seem to be any way of connecting one to the other.

Nick
I have the same problem and also not idea to risolve it.
Uwe

You just have to make sure you line up the knob's rectangular hole so it fits the shape of the joystick and push down (not too hard though...) It does break somewhat easily under heavy use (If you've ever played SuperMarioKart or SuperTuxKart you know these things can take a beating...) So I ended up having to replace mine...

Nick, looking at your picture it looks like you have something stuck inside of the knob.

See here for comparison.

Knob.PNG

Apparently there are two sorts of knobs. One that works, and one that doesn't.

It would appear that the knob you have is meant for a smaller Joystick like the Parallax Joystick Module they sell at Radio Shack. The first picture shows the Esplora knob on the left next to the Parallax knob on the right-
The Parallax Joystick has a thinner, metal Joystick Rod so the hole is much smaller-

Looks like you have the wrong button. See what you get Nick for getting your Esplora from such a cheap source. :wink:

My bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh well, I am working on another big project right now so the button can wait a few weeks.

roundhouselabs:
It would appear that the knob you have is meant for a smaller Joystick like the Parallax Joystick Module they sell at Radio Shack. The first picture shows the Esplora knob on the left next to the Parallax knob on the right-
The Parallax Joystick has a thinner, metal Joystick Rod so the hole is much smaller-

There must be a batch of them then... I just bought one from a Radio Shack here in Orlando and it too has the knob with the small rectangular slit, instead of a rounded hole. Although, I suppose I could simply drill it out.

Hi All,

I got 2 Esploras for Christmas, both purchased at Radio Shack. One had a joystick button that fit (larger internal, D shaped hole) and one that did not fit, exactly as illustrated in the post. I used a drill bit and carefully drilled out the one with the too-small hole. Alternatively I could have exchanged it at Radio Shack. In either case, the joystick did not 'snap-on' so I used a very small amount of white school glue, which if used sparingly is not permanent but holds firmly for as long as you want. Once you have confirmed the joystick button fits or you've carefully drilled it out, flip the joystick button over and apply a tiny drop of white school glue. Then flip the esplora board upside down and insert it into the button. Let it dry upside down to prevent any glue from leaking down the shaft into the joystick mechanism.

KB

Hey all. Want to thank everyone for the forum discussion. I too received the wrong knob. I broke out the drill and went to work. Posted a bit about the experience and how others can easily fix the problem and not make the same mistake I did. Details at:

http://www.stevencombs.com/arduino/2014/07/27/arduino-esplora-joystick-knob-issue.html

Is there a resolution to the round peg / square hole issue? Just bought one of these and the joystick does not fit. Exactly as described above. What is the best way to contact Arduino to get this resolved?

Thanks, Steve