FTDI Board Bad?

I guess the chip looks genuine. That is probably the same deal I got from an ebay sale...

oddWires:
The modules will work with the previous driver as noted earlier in this post - but we will, of course, accept returns. We are locating an alternative supplier that uses genuine FTDI components.

What the heck? Why is there no link to a driver on this webpage? If there is, it's not obvious. And especially a usable and working driver?
http://www.oddwires.com/cp2102-low-cost-usb-to-serial-adapter-module-usb-to-rs232-for-arduino/
Plus I don't see any links on this thread to whichever drivers were ultimately used, so ???? on both counts.

This is MAJOR peeve of mine with about 99% of ebay sites. They sell "stuff", but you're 100% on your own in trying to find the proper support and documentation.

EDIT: now, these guys understand what I'm talking about.

I bought some CP2102 modules from e-bay a while back, they came with a mini-CD with drivers.
Never had a problem getting FTDI drivers from www.ftdichip.com.
Mine are from late 2010, I've not seen any problems.
I bought some of the oddwires USB/Serial adapters, will have to fire them up & confirm they work.

CrossRoads:
I bought some CP2102 modules from e-bay a while back, they came with a mini-CD with drivers.
Never had a problem getting FTDI drivers from www.ftdichip.com.
Mine are from late 2010, I've not seen any problems.
I bought some of the oddwires USB/Serial adapters, will have to fire them up & confirm they work.

A little confused. From what I can tell CP2102 and FTDI are totally different things, with different drivers, so I don't understand why you're mentioning them together in the same paragraph.

Also, I've not gotten anything from ebay that ever came with a CD, at least recently. I'll bet you could look at a dozen ebay sites that sell CP2102 adaptors, and not see anything about drivers or actual support. I don't think many of those sellers know anything about what they're actually selling. Like selling jelly beans.

Both were mentioned in reply #8. Yes, different companies manufacture them.
Other companies are also selling dedicated USB/Serial adapter chips, such as Cypress and Prolific.

You may not have received drivers, but I did. Maybe I just got lucky with the seller I selected. Times change, not sure I could tell you who that was anymore,altho it was a BATE make board that had DTR broken out to a thruhole for easy access.

AAMOF, I just received 2 of the CP2102 adaptors yesterday, bought from a no-support/no-docos site on ebay, LOL. As noted, I tracked down the correct driver on my own, and installed. The loopback test worked fine.

However, does it work properly with my Arduino board? --> not hardly. Two problems:

1. the RXC and TXC pins on the adaptor are labeled backwards - depending upon your orientation.
    They indicate the pins to connect to on the Arduino board, not the signal directions on the
    adaptor.

2. the reset feature doesn't work. To upload a sketch, I had to hold down the Arduino Reset
    switch, and release it shortly after the upload had begun.

So, 2 strikes.

The reset pin on the adaptor header is connected straight into the CP2102 chip, so ??? And yes, I have a 100nF cap in the Reset line on the Arduino board, plus a 10K pullup to 5V. I also tried running the Arduino chip at both 5V and 3.3V, plus tried the 2 extra pins on the adaptor header in case RST is mislabeled.

Also, when you look in the Control Panel Device Manager, there is no option available for changing anything on the CP2102 adaptor, such as "set RTS on close", as on regular FTDI cables.

Oh well, now I'm confused as to whether OP actually has an FTDI adaptor or CP2102 adaptor. His original link doesn't work, and the only adaptor I could find on oddwires site was the CP2102. ???

The reset pin on the adaptor header is connected straight into the CP2102 chip, so ???

Yes, that Resets the CP2102. You need to connect the DTR pin thru a 100nF cap to Reset pin on the Arduino.

I think OP had FTDI module. Oddwires has also posted elsewhere here in the forum that they had a batch of apparently counterfeit FTDI chips, or perhaps chips that only worked with older drivers, and were pulling the modules until they got things figured out.

Reply #4 of this thread is the one where Oddwires mentions the fake FTDI chips.

oddWires:
After some investigations with FTDI regarding the issues mentioned within this blog regarding the “FTDI FT232RL USB to Serial adapter module USB to RS232 for Arduino”, we have discovered this module is not an FTDI manufactured product, and also utilizes a non-genuine FT232RL USB bridge chip on the PCB. The issues reported here are due to the chip not being a genuine FTDI chip. We have removed these modules from sale on our website.:disappointed_relieved:

oddWires respects intellectual property, rely on us to deliver the genuine article. :slight_smile:

RX/TX being backwards is common depends on what they feel is the standard.. THEIR pins..or what you should connect to them..

Also..the RESET pin (if yours like mine and many others posted around here).. is for the REST on the board.. not a reset for the Arduino.. RESET has nothing to do with being connected to the Arduino from what I remember

That being said many of us just mod'd outs.. there IS a DTR pad on the bottom (again if its same/similar to other threads, myself, Crossroads..etc) that can be brought out and used...

not sure what specific boards you bought..

but two different mods:

I''ve also seen pics of folks soldering a wire directly to the chip - too small for me!
I think has also been reported in the forum that CP2102 modules are out now that bring the DTR pin out to the header so no mod is needed.

CrossRoads:

The reset pin on the adaptor header is connected straight into the CP2102 chip, so ???

Yes, that Resets the CP2102. You need to connect the DTR pin thru a 100nF cap to Reset pin on the Arduino.

I think OP had FTDI module. Oddwires has also posted elsewhere here in the forum that they had a batch of apparently counterfeit FTDI chips, or perhaps chips that only worked with older drivers, and were pulling the modules until they got things figured out.

@xl97, thanks for posting the fix, but I think my CP2102 board goes straight into the crap/junk box.

pic/link of the one you got?

I have used these old cell phone data cables before:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210308144706/https://www.uchobby.com/index.php/2009/10/04/diy-usb-to-serial-cable-for-3/#more-492

I had to manually push reset button (on boards that had it)..

but if I recall, there was a via on the board that was the DTR/RESET line..

Another USB/Serial adapter option

Could use to add software serial as debug USB port back to the PC, or multiple USB ports from the Mega, where lack of DTR is not an issue.

I had to manually push reset button (on boards that had it)..

That's what I also mentioned doing in an earlier post. PITN.

I guess I'll check to see if I can do a mod on this thing, but will need a microscope to see the pins.

CrossRoads:
Another USB/Serial adapter option
USB to TTL UART Converter Module w/ 5V Fuse Win7 Compatible PL2303HX - dipmicro electronics
Could use to add software serial as debug USB port back to the PC, or multiple USB ports from the Mega, where lack of DTR is not an issue.

Bob, do you know if those things can be mod'ed to bring out the DTR pin?

hi-

I might have missed it.. but is there a reason you dont want to just buy the same ones we have? and add the jumper wire?

I think I picked up mine for under $3.00 each (shipped!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-/181164801515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2e437deb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-6PIN-CP2102-Module-Serial-Converter-/251036645719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72f33957

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CP2102-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-/170813830162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c54c3412

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-6PIN-CP2102-Module-Serial-Converter-MCU-Full-Speed-12Mbps-/110893970903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d1cbb5d7

(Im sure you can find some cheaper ones if you search a bit more)

but these 'do' have the DTR I/O pad to be mod'd with.

LOL, I already have 2 FTDI devices with working Reset for Arduino dev, and I bought the CP2102 adaptors cited, not knowing they would need to be hacked to use for Arduino dev. Not sure I need to buy anymore at this point, ;-), but I'll bookmark the ones you have in any case. Thanks.

Also, on the practical side of things, I've gotten to the point where I'm willing to spend a bit more money, just so I don't have to immediately debug or hack things, or spend a lot of time trying to track down docos and drivers and usage info, just in order to get the stuff to work in the first place.

So much of the ebay stuff is sold and shipped cheap by people who have no idea whatsoever about support or technical matters. Then I have to waste my time to figure out how to use it. Enormous PITA. [end of this morning's rant, LOL].

I don't know if the PL2303 chips have a DTR pin on them, never looked them up, that's why I suggested them for non-DTR use.