[MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC

Problem solved - W8 dos not allow drivers without signatures to be loaded - you have to go into Settings and disable this feature.

see
http://www.bryonconnolly.com/windows-8-arduino-driver-install

davidhux:
Problem solved - W8 dos not allow drivers without signatures to be loaded - you have to go into Settings and disable this feature.

see
http://www.bryonconnolly.com/windows-8-arduino-driver-install

Yes, it is the same the first post says.

AlxDroidDev:

eried:

AlxDroidDev:
Just a quick Q: does the installer install its own Java runtime?

Yes, it uses an internal (updated) java runtime

Can the installation of its own java runtime be optional, if I want to use my already-installed Java runtime?

The thing is that since I use a SSD drive, I am a bit (too) concious about wear leveling, so I tend to limit the writes as much as possible in the SSD drive. Besides, space is kind of a constraint as well.

Yes, but without it, the package will stay the same in size, it will only skip to write the Java folder, that is what you want? (another option is to detect if java is present and only download it if is not in the machine) in that way the package probably will be less than 5 MB in size.

Very handy, works well (takes me back to Win98 !!!).

Cheers ........... Mike B

Froggins:
Very handy, works well (takes me back to Win98 !!!).

Cheers ........... Mike B

Windows 98? I hope that is something good :smiley:

Would you be interested in helping me with my new IDE? I'm a GUI expert but I'm not a Windows user so the Windows experience for ArduinoX will always be sub-par. I'm especially interested in your expertise with app packaging and drivers installation. I have no idea how to do those.

• Josh

eried:

CrossRoads:
eried,
Have you & Josh Marinacci considered getting together?

Arduino Forum

This running update of 3 IDEs is a bit confusing.

Well, I guess 4 now with the DUE IDE also.

5 IDE's heheh... my original idea fixing the things (years ago) was to get something fixed someday in the official ide. Since that will never happen, I decided to build this mod mainly just for windows+arduino users (specially for me).

I don't know if everyone noticed but the crusade seems to be pretty effective. Almost no one is now posting or discussing the same drivers/sloweness/installation issues in the forum (I was pretty tired seeing the same issues again and again, even in some 'arduino workshops' a big part of the time is used just to teach how to get the IDE running)

I don't have any other board rather than a couple of arduinos, I have received some requests from people because they experience a lot of the same issues in derivated IDE's but besides providing feedback and hints, doing something it is just too much work.

So, in conclusion, this mod is just a temporal solution, I may eventually update the ide to 1.5 but Josh solution is a much better approach and I will love to see any alternative IDE replacing the Arduino IDE in the future, but our work is not very shareable.

G'Day,
I've been trying the mod with good results except when I drag the top of the window upwards to the top of the desktop to have the window full length (Win 7 Home premium 64bit). When I do that it freezes until I reduce the height o f the window.

Cheers ............ Mike B

Froggins:
G'Day,
I've been trying the mod with good results except when I drag the top of the window upwards to the top of the desktop to have the window full length (Win 7 Home premium 64bit). When I do that it freezes until I reduce the height o f the window.

Cheers ............ Mike B

Oh, never noticed that before, I don't use that vertical snap too much. I will look if I can fix it, happens the same with the original IDE

Sure Josh. Tell me what we can do.

eried:

AlxDroidDev:

eried:

AlxDroidDev:
Just a quick Q: does the installer install its own Java runtime?

Yes, it uses an internal (updated) java runtime

Can the installation of its own java runtime be optional, if I want to use my already-installed Java runtime?

The thing is that since I use a SSD drive, I am a bit (too) concious about wear leveling, so I tend to limit the writes as much as possible in the SSD drive. Besides, space is kind of a constraint as well.

Yes, but without it, the package will stay the same in size, it will only skip to write the Java folder, that is what you want? (another option is to detect if java is present and only download it if is not in the machine) in that way the package probably will be less than 5 MB in size.

Either way is fine for me, but the autodetect of a JRE at installation would be AWESOME!

What I am looking after is to minimize as much as possible the writes to the HDD at install time. This is a concern for those on SSD (my case), because there is a limited number of times each cell can be rewritten. So, if the setup program can install only the specific files (ie. no JRE), that would be great.

Besides, most people - specially those who are developers - already have a JRE preinstalled, so having a second one is unnecessary IMHO.

Anyhow, thank you for taking the time to look into my suggestion.

For the next minor release I can add a "non-java" package and if some people download that version, I will keep uploading that one.

By the way, I don't have experience with SSD in my dev machines, but in my ultrabook I have one and I am certainly not worried about write cycles, I am pretty sure they design the drives to stand usual usage up to >4 years (where due capacity and speed, it is not convenient to keep the old drives anymore)

Is it possible to install your 1.0.2 IDE package in a location other than \Program Files\Arduino?

When I move the installation to another directory (\Arduino) the IDE complained it couldn't find avr-g++ (even though the path it showed was in fact correct after moving the directory). I assume there is some registry value that is causing issues?

It gets quite confusing with multiple location of the sketches directory and the libraries directory when you have more than one version of the IDE installed.

Ideally I'd like to be able to specify a directory for "libraries", in the same way you can now specify the "sketches" dir. This would mean that I could maintain all my source user-level directories independently of particular IDE installations.

Also, does your pakage of 1.0.2 have the latest version of avrdude included? I was trying to build and upload for a mega2560 target, and avrdude complained it didn't have a definition for the "wiring" programmer (in earlier version, the programmer option passed to avrdude was "stk500v2" for the mega2560, I think. The "wiring" thing is new.)

Replacing avrdude2.exe and avrdudre.conf with a recent version fixed this. I haven't tested out the "official" 1.0.2 yet, to see if in fact the later version is bundled in that release.

Pico,

I ran into the same problem you did today, as I just installed the software. It seems wiring isn't a known protocol for some reason. I changed the configuration file to try arduino as the protocol, but it would fail and not upload. So I changed it to stk500v2 and works like a charm.

In C:\program files (x86)\arduino\arduino erw 1.0.2\hardware\arduino the file is boards.txt

mega2560.upload.protocol=wiring

gets changed to

mega2560.upload.protocol=stk500v2

on line 136.

Works like a charm, I'm sure it will get fixed next revision. I'm not sure if this is the proper way to fix it, but it does work in my limited testing!

Also, how do you get extra board definitions included in the enhanced release (e.g., the ATtiny* chips)?

I copied the "tiny" subdir into the "\program files\arduino\arduino ERW 1.0.2\hardware" subdir, but no go... they didn't show up in the boards list at the next restart.

pico:
When I move the installation to another directory (\Arduino) the IDE complained it couldn't find avr-g++ (even though the path it showed was in fact correct after moving the directory). I assume there is some registry value that is causing issues?

How are you moving the installation? You need to uninstall it and then install it in another path (or manually change the PATH environment variable)

pico:
I copied the "tiny" subdir into the "\program files\arduino\arduino ERW 1.0.2\hardware" subdir, but no go... they didn't show up in the boards list at the next restart.

You need to edit boards.txt (try to backup the old one because it contains the "ram" size, and that's not a default thing)

BTW, did the jrlp's suggestion worked for the protocol issue?

eried:

pico:

How are you moving the installation? You need to uninstall it and then install it in another path (or manually change the PATH environment variable)

I was just cutting and pasting the top level directory from \program files\arduino to \arduino

OK, I've changed the PATH variable in environment settings.

How about specifying a path to user libraries? Is this already possible with your library manager?

eried:

pico:

You need to edit boards.txt (try to backup the old one because it contains the "ram" size, and that's not a default thing)

Don't need to do this step with the "official" IDE -- what's the specific changed feature that requires this?

Will the build step correctly find the hardware\tiny\bootloaders and hardware\tiny\cores subdirectories if I simply add hardware\tiny\boards.txt to hardware\arduino\boards.txt?

Edit: Actually, copying the "tiny" directory into "hardware" DOES work, without having to modify anything else, now that I've moved things around out of \program files\arduino. Maybe I had copied the "tiny" directory into the wrong place before, I may have been getting confused as to where things were...

This all seems to be working well. This is very good, now I think I keep just two copies of the IDE on disk, the 0023 version for all my pre-1.0 stuff that I don't want to bring over to 1.0.x for whatever reason, and your EWR 1.0.2 for all the newer stuff. (Actually, there is a third version of the IDE installed, which is for the Teensy 3, but that's based on 1.0.2 so that may be able to be merged as well, but I haven't looked into that yet...)

But the 0023 and the EWR 1.0.2 won't clobber each other every time they are run, which is great! Almost a sane set-up! Another Pepsi is on the way! :wink: (BTW, did you look at the feasibility of the "no automatic prototype generation" option for the IDE preprocessor? What do you think?)

eried:

I don't know, I had already solved it by copying over a later version of avrdude that had the "wiring" programmer definition in avrdude.conf file.

I would fully expect it work, however, since up until recently stk500v2 was the correct protocol for the mega2560, I believe... so if it worked before why wouldn't it work now? Unless they have changed something with the new mega2560 bootloader (but that would only affect those who had updated their bootloader, and I haven't read that anywhere.)

So I don't know what the story is with the new "wiring" protocol.

Which version of avrdude is your distribution? The one I used to replace is v5.12.

eried:

It did for me :slight_smile:

pico:
How about specifying a path to user libraries? Is this already possible with your library manager?

Hi, thanks for the Pepsi :D, well not really, they are dependent on the user sketch directory, that can be modified but I think is more a hustle than something useful. You may look at "hard links" in Windows (mklink command) and create a hard link to the libraries in the other directory (to keep only 1 copy of the libraries but many folders as 'virtual' accesses)

pico:
But the 0023 and the EWR 1.0.2 won't clobber each other every time they are run, which is great! Almost a sane set-up! Another Pepsi is on the way! :wink: (BTW, did you look at the feasibility of the "no automatic prototype generation" option for the IDE preprocessor? What do you think?)

Haven't checked this. I was trying to fix the resize window problem but it seems is something in java and it is not fixable (it was reported for win7, 2 years ago).

pico:
Which version of avrdude is your distribution? The one I used to replace is v5.12.

Magicj:

eried:

It did for me :slight_smile:

Nice!

Glad my little fix helped at least a few people out!

eried:
well not really, they are dependent on the user sketch directory,

Really? How so? I thought the libraries directory was always under the "main" install directory, along with "hardware", "lib" "drivers" etc. How does it's position change relative to the sketch directory?

Confused. :~