Just installed Ubuntu 10.04

Hi Guys,

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) yesterday and just wanted to let everyone know that Arduino-0018 works beautifully on 10.04. There's no need to manually update the rxtx libraries. Everything just works!

If you are still using 9.10, I highly recommend upgrading to the latest version.

When I went from 9.04 to 9.10, I had a lot of things "blow up" on me, some of which I still haven't fixed.

One of the big ones was the replacement of my background (dual monitor spanning), not to mention the custom background image I had for the login manager; I wouldn't have mind this so much had they not decided on the worst brown color scheme on the planet to implement. Of all the possibilities submitted to them, they chose the absolute ugliest one imaginable.

I am not even sure what the point was in doing this; the original color scheme was fine - why mess with something so basic (especially when there are other things to worry about).

My CUPS setup went south, and my Spark setup (actually, the Wildfire server) went down as well (I later found this was due to the MySQL databases being removed/dumped - thanks). Only in the past week or two did I finally get around to getting those running again (and I spent all of yesterday resetting my ZoneMinder system - that was a hair puller, fighting software, wireless networking, routing and a ton of other issues - but this had little to do with the Ubuntu upgrade, other than it being uninstalled by the upgrade, which I knew about and was upset by).

I have never had a problem with an upgrade, on its own - it has always just "worked"; my only problems have been the upgrade (well, really just the 9.04 to 9.10) changing some real basic stuff on me (and I had to wait a while on the last one, because I have a Samba server setup at home, and there was an issue with the Samba client on 9.10 that I had to wait for resolution on before I upgraded).

I'm glad to hear, though, that 0018 worked fine afterward; I've never had a problem with the IDE after an upgrade, but then again I've only gone thru a couple...

:slight_smile:

Hi cr0sh,

I totally understood what you were saying! That's why I generally do not do upgrades at all and my preference is always a fresh-install.

I know that a fresh-install is a hassle, but it keeps my mind fresh so I remember how I setup certain things. I have kept a cheat-sheet on what packages I installed and changed, how I setup everything (Samba, CUPS, etc).

I totally understood what you were saying! That's why I generally do not do upgrades at all and my preference is always a fresh-install.

I will typically only do a fresh install if I switching distros, or something else major has occurred (hard drive issue or something similar). I've been playing with Linux in one fashion or another since 1995, so having to go in an futz with stuff after an upgrade (if things are broken) is for me a smaller hassle than a fresh install.

I suppose if I were doing a hardware upgrade each time as well, it would make sense, but I just don't have the cash to do so on the 6-month cycle Ubuntu runs...

:slight_smile: