quick question, would this work?

im trying to make my circuit more compact so i dont wanna use one of those bulky 5v to 3v3 adapters

No. Your Nano has a 3.3V output, try using that to power the NRF24L01. I've done just that (using Nanos with a CH340). Robotdyn also make a Nano with a more powerful 3.3V regulator that might be able to power the NRF24L01 a bit better.

Power inputs to devices must be regulated power, any kind of resistive dropping will not
give a stable voltage and everything will misbehave.

BJHenry:
No. Your Nano has a 3.3V output, try using that to power the NRF24L01. I've done just that (using Nanos with a CH340). Robotdyn also make a Nano with a more powerful 3.3V regulator that might be able to power the NRF24L01 a bit better.

ill try but i heard the 3v3 output didnt have enough current to supply the nrf24?

andrewcat12:
ill try but i heard the 3v3 output didnt have enough current to supply the nrf24?

That may well be an issue.

You cannot use a resistor, as the current drawn by the NRF24 varies from near zero to... quite a bit more... depending on what it's doing. A resistor that provided 3.3v at peak current would leave almost 5v on the NRF24 when it wasn't drawing much current.

You must use a regulator - a 1117-series regulator in TO-220, with ceramic caps soldered right onto the leads, is probably the most compact solution.

A Nano gets it's 3.3volt from the USB<>serial chip,
The Nano clone I have (CH340 chip) can provide 30mA without collapsing.
It seems that the nRF24 is happy with 15mA.
Leo..

DrAzzy:
That may well be an issue.

You cannot use a resistor, as the current drawn by the NRF24 varies from near zero to... quite a bit more... depending on what it's doing. A resistor that provided 3.3v at peak current would leave almost 5v on the NRF24 when it wasn't drawing much current.

You must use a regulator - a 1117-series regulator in TO-220, with ceramic caps soldered right onto the leads, is probably the most compact solution.

i think this is what i prefer out of all the solutions, ill research into this, thanks

andrewcat12:

It is definitely worth a try. I've heard some people that have trouble with it, but as I said before it works for me.

I've heard of people having trouble with esp-01 WiFi modules powered through Nano's 3.3V. And no wonder, it's much more power hungry than nrf24. But the two look very similar to a beginner.

You realize... everyone here has a "quick question", and wants to know "if it will work".

polymorph:
You realize... everyone here has a "quick question", and wants to know "if it will work".

think thats what forums are for

I think the 3.3volt pin just lacks the buffer caps to power a transmitter that uses high current pulses.

I frequently power an ESP8266 module (80mA) from an Uno clone (150mA) to flash, but you DO need a (>=470uF) buffercap on that power line. Because the ESP draws ~400mA during the short transmit pulses.
Leo..

andrewcat12:
think thats what forums are for

What hes saying is you should use a topic title that better describes the issue you're having in the future - that way people who know the answer can more easily find you

DrAzzy:
What hes saying is you should use a topic title that better describes the issue you're having in the future - that way people who know the answer can more easily find you

And others with the same problem can find the answer too...

Yes, that is what I mean. Imagine everyone titled their questions the same way:

Help me, I need help

Help me with this

I am at a loss, please help me

Quick question, will this work

How does this work

Help me make this work

There is a sticky post at the top of every section of the forum:
How to use this forum - please read.

If you are looking for a minimal solution without a voltage regulator, just replace that resistor with a led.
Its not a perfect solution but it works, i have used it on a wireless sensor and it have worked for over a year so far.

go for a yellow or green led first, if the voltage on the nrf are under 3v try a red led instead.
Best of luck!