Arduino IDE very slow to load unless wifi is disabled

I'm going to assume that KB3206632 caused this as I've just noticed this since I came back into town. I've tried running the nightly as well as 1.6.13 and both do it. I'm also running win10 64 bit. I'm going to try to uninstall that KB and report back but is anyone else experiencing this? It is also very slow to upload sketches and appears to hang actually.

Thanks
Dave

So I went ahead and uninstalled KB3206632 and KB3201845 as I saw it also installed this week and rebooted w/o any change in behavior. I can duplicate this behavior by turning wifi on or off. So much for that thought. As it turns out It only occurs when I am connected to wifi. WiFi radio on and not connected to any network arduino IDE loads fine. The second I connect to a network it's slow as molasses. Reinstalling wifi driver did nothing.

Dave

TT_Vert so if you think its hanging then pleas check the tx and rx lights and get back to me thanks.

The problem occurs even when the arduino is not plugged in. It hangs opening/closing the software just as it does compiling/uploading. Completely goes away when not connected to any wireless network.

Whilst not in any way a definitive set of answers I include for your perusal the following document.

Arduino troubleshooting for beginners.doc (372 KB)

Yeah none of that really helped much. For now I just went to an older version.

Dave

So I'm going to assume either nobody uses Arduino IDE or doesn't have this problem? I did a clean install of the new 1.8.0 but the same problem persists. Even closing takes up to a minute some times unless I'm not connected to a wireless connection.

It sounds like a local issue and by that I mean something in or about your computer set up.

Seeing as it seems to relate to the WiFi I think it sounds like your WiFi is either incorrectly set up or a driver conflict of some description.

My thoughts would be to strip out your WiFi drivers completely if they are manufacturer specific and let windows driver take precedence just to check if its that. If Windows cannot find a driver then use an older one from the manufacturer and see if that helps

If not slowly try each newer driver.

If its some oddball Chinese WiFi adaptor card or dongle then dump it and get a real one.

DO NOT use driver finder programs as I have seen too many problems caused by those when they have installed drivers that sort of work but were not correct. Or worse still installed corrupted drivers.

In fact if you have any driver finder programs remove them right away and do a full computer clean up including malware and virus scan.

Thanks for the post. I've got a fairly clean install of win10. I've tried using different versions of the MS wifi cand driver (It's an integrated intel AC7265 wifi card in my asus laptop) ,Intel versions of this driver as well as the ASUS Provided drivers and all do the same thing. I've disabled all radios one at a time as well. I've also tried to uninstall any windows updates that have occurred since I noticed this issue and it didn't make any difference either. If I go to an older version 1.0.6 the problem goes away but it happens w/ 1.5+. Just a little background I've been in IT for years so this stuff is old hat to me and all drivers are installed by me, not sourced and download by those spyware ridden softwares.

Dave

Its an odd problem thats for sure.

Some people had issues with Bluetooth drivers playing havoc with the Arduinos so maybe another path to check out ?

For others its been the AV software that was at issue.

Then there are the USB 3.0 issues the are also prevalent.

But based on what you are reporting I stand by a computer issue.

Yep I read about that as well. Someone here had the EXACT same issue. I've tried to go as far as disable the bluetooth radio in Device Manager. I also read at some point there was a serial driver (rxtxSerial.dll) that was being replaced to resolve my exact issue but it does not exist anymore. The only radio that affects it is the WiFi radio. It certainly is odd as I cannot put my finger on it but perhaps something w/ the serial port emulation, java and wifi??

Dave

Another avenue that just came to mind when you mentioned the rxtxserial.dll was usbser.sys

Had some issues with that one myself but not the same as you.
It goes back quite some ways if you chase it up.

A few drivers have replaced that and a few flavours of windows have balked at it in different fashions.

I seem to remember when I chased it there was a method to put it back to the original.
In my case I just did a BMR from my server and it was fixed.

Topic was in the MKR section of the forum but there are external references too in google.

I'll look into that sys file and also its update history on this pc. Mind telling me what the experience you had was?

Dave

A batch of real Arduino boards suddenly not responding even though they clearly showed up and the com ports were correct.

Intermittent serial output when they did work.

A USB hub suddenly went dead but worked fine on the server.

USB web cam stuttering.

Some USB ports might work for a few hours then quit.

Checked power usage on everything and there were no excessive loads.

Tweaking the power usage points and power saving options to always on and max seemed to help a little.

There are a few more symptoms mentions if you chase it up on google but those were the common ones I saw.

EDIT this is on a real PC btw...Laptops also seem to have some issues with power output for USB with the MAC's being even more prone to USB issues. Hence I always recommend a fully powered USB 2.0 hub of reasonable quality regardless of what you are doing with USB unless its a real USB 3.0 device that can truly benefit from the speed.

Mind you these issues occur even when no arduino board is connected. Even opening Arduino IDE is slow w/o anything connected. If it was just writes or intermittent failed writes I could see that but in my situation it's opening, closing, compiling, etc. Sometimes it'd just hand and force closing the java runtime was the only way to get it to close in under a minute.

Dave

Another point worth note.
Not sure if it affects you or not.

Com ports....

I seem to recall and I think there is also evidence around the forum too about an overload of com ports or some such issue.

I know I have pre-empted this on occasion by doing a total clear out of "unused" ports for my test board
Its not just an Arduino specific item either.

Some USB items claim a com port and reserve it.
If the same item is plugged into a different com port that may also be on occasion "reserved" and plugging it back into the original may spawn another instance.

Sometimes this has been seen to cause issues with software scanning and trying to enumerate them again.

There are plenty of topics on google about how to remove and reclaim those ports.

Just a thought...

See the pic for what I mean.

And here is WHY i have to keep track (amongst other things LOL)

Thanks much. I have no COM ports in device manager and when the arduino is plugged in it only shows COM5. I started thinking a bit and realized that each time Arduino starts it looks for the library folders and lists them so I figured I'd try to do some clean up (removed all arduino folders (Appdata, documents, program files), fresh uninstall/reinstall and it got better. Perhaps someone can help me understand why there are two different library locations (one in programfiles and one in documents) and another Arduino folder in appdata. I presume the appdata ardino folder is just for boards is that correct? Why are there two different

Thanks
Dave

A little beyond me but Pert might know.

• {Arduino IDE installation folder}/libraries - for libraries that come with the Arduino IDE. You should never install anything to this folder because it will be lost if you update to a new version of the Arduino IDE using the installer.
  • {sketchbook folder}/libraries - for custom and 3rd party libraries. This is the location you should do manual library installations and it is also where Library Manager installs libraries.
  • There are also libraries included with hardware packages. The Arduino AVR Boards libraries for the version included with your installation of the Arduino iDE are at {Arduino IDE installation folder}\hardware\arduino\avr\libraries. If you do an installation or update of any hardware package via Boards Manager then you will have them at(for Windows) C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages{vendor name}\hardware{architecture name}{version}\libraries.
  • If you do a manual installation of a hardware package then any libraries bundled with that package will be at {sketchbook folder}\hardware{vendor name}{architecture name}\libraries.
  • The core folder for the selected board is also in the include path. e.g. {Arduino IDE installation folder}\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino
  • The compiler of the selected board has files also in the include path e.g. {Arduino IDE installation folder}\hardware\tools\avr\avr\include\avr

The libraries bundled with hardware packages are only usable if one of the boards of that package is selected from the Tools > Board menu.

Thank you now I can keep these organized. Two questions.

1. Is there any difference between me manually installing a library and me adding a library via zip in Arduino IDE?

2. If the core folder for boards is in the arduino IDE installation folder does the board need to be re-added during an update?