Feature request

Hi there,

could someone please be so kind to implement some „ignore-feature“? It seems some people don't check whose posts they are replying to. Can I ignore someone „actively“ so that their posts don't show up?

TIA

Gregor

There was talk of adding something like this as a 3rd party forum mod:

but I'm not so optimistic about the chances of it happening anymore since it seems that the author has been not as active in the Arduino community recently. Still, it's an interesting concept to try to accomplish these goals without having to wait for the unlikely chances that the web team will implement them. The moduino code is there for anyone to fork and work on.

That solution still wouldn't prevent you from getting emails about replies but that is easily solved with an email filter for any email with "by {blocked username}" in the message body.

Thanks for that fast reply.

I'm pretty used to handle strange people. One of my customers wrote a fax to a boss of mine: Since Mr. S. is there, all problems are gone. Before he was the one making my colleagues calling me.

Maybe I'm getting old :slight_smile: Maybe I don't consume the right drugs.

Gregor

gregorss:
It seems some people don't check whose posts they are replying to.

I don't understand. What does it matter who replies if they give useful information?

Can I ignore someone „actively“ so that their posts don't show up?

I don't understand that either. Do you mean that you want to be able to read through a Thread without seeing any Replies in it that were posted by X?

...R

That could get confusing quick.

What would be nice would be to somehow badge out the ones that like to throw fits or whine and cry because seeing the mistake they made pointed out made them feel dumb. That way we can just avoid even going on their threads when they start one.

By "badge out", do you mean add some sort of visual indicator on their user name?

Sure. But something's only I see after I have deemed a poster to be aggressive or a whiner. Each of us might have a different view of who to avoid. But when I say I will never click that particular users thread again it would be nice to have some means to actually do it.

Like I can tag so that whenever I see their name again they have the whiner badge or the overly aggressive badge or the id-10-t badge.

Robin2:
What does it matter who replies if they give useful information?

That's the point. Some people seem to think I'm too stupid to connect an resistor. I guess they just don't check who they are talking to and they ask for schematics for a circuit that is as simple as pie. And without schematics they don't give any useful information (they say without schematics they can't).

Robin2:
I don't understand that either. Do you mean that you want to be able to read through a Thread without seeing any Replies in it that were posted by X?

I just don't want to see if they wrote anything. Since this forum doesn't support threading that wouldn't „hurt“ or something.

Gregor

Delta_G:
Sure. But something's only I see after I have deemed a poster to be aggressive or a whiner. Each of us might have a different view of who to avoid. But when I say I will never click that particular users thread again it would be nice to have some means to actually do it.

Like I can tag so that whenever I see their name again they have the whiner badge or the overly aggressive badge or the id-10-t badge.

I agree this would be a very useful feature and that's precisely what I requested in

If people have already proven themselves not willing to make an effort to learn or disrespectful in my past interactions I'd rather not spend any further time helping them but I can't remember all these user names. Conversely, if I have found helping someone to be rewarding or they are actively contributing to the community I would like to make an extra effort to help them out. So ideally I'd like to be able to choose multiple different visual indicators.

The workaround I've settled on is to use this firefox add-on:

I add each user's name to the list and a note about the reason for them being on the list. After that their user name is highlighted in yellow wherever it appears. I can't choose the highlight color (which I would use as an indicator: bad, warned, good) but the note is shown in a pop up when you hover over the highlight so I can do without. The UI is very clunky but other than messing up page layout around highlighted words occasionally it does work reliably. In the past I tried similar add-ons and found them to cause strange browser malfunctions so I'm glad to have finally found one that's usable. The other problem I've encountered is I don't like adding usernames that are common words since they are globally highlighted. A better solution would be something smart enough to only mark the word when it occurs in one of the standard locations on the forum or at least allow domain restrictions. I also use it for Stack Exchange and GitHub users so the Moduino thing wouldn't have met all my needs anyway.

The reason I previously brought up the link to my feature request is that Chris--A mentioned in the reply that he had also consider a hide posts feature that gregorss wants but I think that would be confusing. On Facebook you can block people and then you don't see any of their comments on a post. So you see comment threads where people are missing parts of the conversation that everyone else can see and it just ends up in a lot of confusion. That's no big deal on Facebook since usually nobody is doing anything productive on there anyways.

gregorss:
That's the point. Some people seem to think I'm too stupid to connect an resistor. I guess they just don't check who they are talking to and they ask for schematics for a circuit that is as simple as pie. And without schematics they don't give any useful information (they say without schematics they can't).

How is anyone supposed to know, "who you are". How is anyone supposed to know if you know how to connect the circuit in question? What if you think you do and are wrong? It happens all the time. Even experts make mistakes. But, "Please tell me what is wrong with this circuit without looking at it" is always an impossible proposition. If you can't understand why then THAT would be grounds for them to think you are stupid. I think anyone with half a brain should be able to understand that one.

The only thing worse than someone getting upset because we should "know who they are" and should just assume that they have it all hooked up right is the guy who says he has it all hooked up right and we get knee deep into trying to find something in the code only to find out after a couple of days of wasted effort that the guy really just had it hooked up wrong.

You're asking people for FREE help. Those people don't owe you anything first of all. They could just refuse. But moreover, they definitely don't want to waste their time. I'm not going to try to troubleshoot something if I can't see all of it. Why would you ask me for help and then handicap me like that?

It all comes down to this, if you know what the problem is then you wouldn't be asking us. If you don't know what the problem is then how can you pretend to know what someone would need to be able to see to find it? You've got the whole project there and a lot more time with it and you can't figure it out.

Nobody is asking for that stuff as some kind of affront to you and it definitely isn't because they "don't know who you are". They just don't want to waste time guessing at something. If you don't like that then stop asking others to find your problems and hunt them all down yourself. I guarantee you will always "know who you are".

gregorss:
I just don't want to see if they wrote anything. Since this forum doesn't support threading that wouldn't „hurt“ or something.

What if one of them is the only one with the right answer and everyone else sees it so they just move on to the next thread and you are left wondering why nobody will help you? Blocking out from your view the things you don't like isn't a good way to live. You have to be able to deal with stuff like someone asking you for a look at the thing you ask for help with. Don't let your little feelings be so fragile. They'll get in the way of making progress. This is programming, it's a world where logic ALWAYS trumps emotion.

pert:
So you see comment threads where people are missing parts of the conversation that everyone else can see and it just ends up in a lot of confusion. That's no big deal on Facebook since usually nobody is doing anything productive on there anyways.

I would probably end up on a lot of them because I have a knack for making things sound really simple and showing people how they could use what they already have and a little thought to find it. Some people take that and apply it and become better coders. Others feel dumb when they realize how easy it was. They tend to get mad for some reason.

Either way, I can see the thread now:

N00b: What's wrong with my code.

DG : Post your code

N00b: Asshole, don't ask me to post my code, just tell me what's wrong with it (puts me on ignore list)

Someone else explains the need for the code

N00b: Finally posts code

DG: You overwrote the bounds of the array

At this point the regulars figure the problem is solved

N00b: IS anyone there?

DG: I just told you, you overwrote the bounds of your array

N00b: Why won't anyone help me with this simple problem

DG: Writes a long explanation of array bounds and how the N00b messed it up

N00b: I just don't get it, why won't anyone help me. (Goes away mad and never gets his code fixed)

Delta_G:
How is anyone supposed to know, "who you are". ...

Everyone easily can see that I'm quite active in this forum. That too is a reason why my avatar image is uniquely.

Everyone reading this forum regularly knows, that I'm not that stupid.

Gregor

That's the thing you gotta get through your head, when someone asks for a schematic they're NOT calling you stupid or implying that you might be. They're trying to take a look at something that you've said you're having a problem with. If you want help then you kind of take it.

What you sound like right now is, "I want help from you because I have a problem that I can't figure out. Now all of you get down and find my problem, and find it my way with only the information I give you. And if anyone asks a question about it that I don't like I'll just delete you from my life and never look at another thing you say. You owe me an answer MY way. All hail ME!"

Whereas a better approach might be, "Hey friend, can you tell me what's wrong with this"... "I'll try, here let me see it." .... "OK, there you go. Got any idea why it doesn't work?"

I'm a damn good coder, and I've asked questions on this forum, and I've been asked to show more code. But what I didn't do was get my feelings all hurt over it. That's someone trying to help. If they want to see something you just show it to them. Why handicap them by making them do it in the dark?

I think you're being way over sensitive about this stuff.

Ever hear the old adage about looking a gift horse in the mouth? When you're asking someone to help you for free, you don't then start trying to dictate the terms of that help.

I work around top top level PhD experts and award winning leaders in their field and I've noticed that the ones who really got it are almost never so full of themselves as what you are putting forth right now.

gregorss:
I guess they just don't check who they are talking to

There must be a thousand comedy programmes and films with the famous line "Do you know who you are talking to".

My favourite anecdote was by an Irish comedian who, in his youth, worked in a manual telephone exchange for extra money at Christmas.

Some altercation developed with some hoity-toity lady who eventually came out with the ubiquitous line "Do you know who you are talking to, young man?"

To which the comedian replied "Yes madam you are Lady X. Do you know my name?"

"Of course not, what is your name? says she

"Thank Fxxk" says he and promptly disconnects the line.

...R

gregorss:
Everyone reading this forum regularly knows, that I'm not that stupid.

Seems to me you are working hard to disprove your own theory.

Have you heard the phrase "When you are in a hole the first thing to do is stop digging"

That too is a reason why my avatar image is uniquely

irritating IMHO

...R

gregorss:
they ask for schematics for a circuit that is as simple as pie. And without schematics they don't give any useful information (they say without schematics they can't).

With a view to saying something constructive, this comment suggests to me that you are not in the habit of providing advice yourself.

I find it much easier to diagnose a problem when all of the details are available. When they are not available my mind always suspects there is something important that I don't know and it refuses to focus. Consequently I will often ask for information that the OP has not realized may be relevant. Sometimes the extra information is not relevant - but at least it closes off some lines of enquiry. However many times the extra information holds the key to solving the problem. And this approach is not restricted to diagnosing computer problems.

Edit to add ...
Another way of looking at this is, if I want help with a problem it does not matter at all what I know about my project. The important thing is what the person offering help knows about my project.

...R

gregorss:

now I understand the original post