Installing additional board manager info

I am trying to wire and run a weather station from IdeaSpark. I already have the Arduino IDE v 1.8.9 installed. My instructions say to go to..

Open Arduino IDE
File > Preferences
Insert the following link in the "Additional Boards Manager URLs:" text box::
http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

then..

1. Go to Tools > Board > Board Manager and click this option
    6)Type "ESP8266" in the text box, search, and display an option "ESP8266 by ESP8266 Community"

When I do so, I get nothing. I assume that the above URL should load a library or addon for the esp8266 but nothing happens. Is there a button or option I should press to install the board library?

Those instructions are correct. The only think I would add is that, after opening Tools > Board > Boards Manager, you need to wait until the downloads finish.

If the problem still occurs, click the "Close" button and then check the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window to see if it contains any error output. If so, copy/paste the full text here.

Ah, in the black window it says..
"no protocol:arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json

So?? what now??

You forgot to add the http:// part of the URL to File > Preferences > Additional Boards Manager URLs. Fix the URL and it should now work.

Geez..how could I have missed the HTTP. It was right there in the instructions.

Thanks
It works now.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

Not to revive a dead thread, but does anyone know how to do this in Arduino IDE 2.1.0.5? The option to add board manager URLs in t his version

Arduino IDE "2:1.0.5" is extremely outdated. It came long before the Boards Manager feature was added. You get this version when you using "apt install arduino" to install the Arduino IDE. Please uninstall that horrible old thing and download the modern Arduino IDE from:

It is - apparently - a long story, but it appears no-one in the official Arduino team comprehends how to - or can be bothered with - working with the Linux repository since the version in question, and that was quite a few years ago! :astonished:

Which is a great pity as Linux is a vastly superior development platform for Arduino. For example, once you have added your user to the dialout group, you will have no trouble using any of the current USB to serial adapters, unlike Windoze. :roll_eyes:

pcmm:
Not to revive a dead thread, but does anyone know how to do this in Arduino IDE 2.1.0.5? The option to add board manager URLs in t his version

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the post at the start of any forum , entitled "How to use this Forum".
OR
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Is there any reason your are using such an old version of the IDE?

Thanks.. Tom.... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Is there any reason your are using such an old version of the IDE?

Yes, he installed it via the Linux (Mint) Software Manager which installs software accurately and effortlessly, but unfortunately as I mentioned above, manipulating the Linux repositories to update versions is apparently beyond the comprehension of the Arduino team. :roll_eyes:

Fortunately, the link I provided permits only slightly more difficult installation of the latest version. :grinning:

Paul__B:
Yes, he installed it via the Linux (Mint) Software Manager which installs software accurately and effortlessly, but unfortunately as I mentioned above, manipulating the Linux repositories to update versions is apparently beyond the comprehension of the Arduino team. :roll_eyes:

Fortunately, the link I provided permits only slightly more difficult installation of the latest version. :grinning:

I don't live in a LINUX world.
To much work, income from Windows based industrial systems. $$$
Tom... :slight_smile: