SPIMemory library - Formerly SPIFlash - now supports SPI FRAM as well! :)

Hi Marzogh

Did you received your JV series.
I am using W25Q64JV and i updated the library 3.2.0.
But library gives Error code: 0x0B

Thanks
Ergun

Marzogh:
Hi mate,

Thanks for the heads up. I've got some JV series coming in from AliExpress, but this being AliExpress, they're probably a month or so away form getting to me in Australia. :confused:

I'll see if I can figure out what's going wrong (in theory) by looking at the timing on the datasheet and get back to you as soon as I can.

The current release version is v3.0.1 and that's what is available from the library manager. I'm still testing v3.1.0 is all platforms that library supports and should hopefully have it out before this week ends.

Feel free to pull down a zip of the development branch to test with your hardware. The code is pretty much good to go and just needs some battle testing before I sign off on a release.

If you are looking at using filesystems, Adafruit's SPI Flash library has quite good filesystem support with the ability to mount the chip up as a mass storage device. However, this is something I've only ever played around with on the M0 Express line of boards and I don't know how it works (or if it does) outside of the M0 / SAMD21 line.

I would like to - someday incorporate a filesystem into my library, but I have two problems with that:

• I have no idea how filesystems work, much less how to implement one on the Arduino platform :stuck_out_tongue:
  • My main aim with this library has been to get it to work as fast as it can while maintaining read/write integrity. AFAIK, putting a filesystem in there reduces this speed enormously.

I use the library with my environmental sensor units as a way of storing lots of data as (byte arrays) on an SPI Flash chip. When it fills up I write all of that data to an SD card in one go. This saves a ton of power when you have a low-power environmental sensing / logging system deployed in remote areas for extended periods of time. I borrowed this idea from EKMallon's fantastic Cave Pearl project. He uses EEPROMs to buffer data but I've found that using SPI Flash in combination with an SD card works equally well - especially when I use a TPL5110 timer to cut power to the entire system when it doesn't need to be operational. :slight_smile: