Shield compatibility

Greetings all! I'm a TOTAL Arduino noob, looking for some input on my first project. It involves remote monitoring and control, so I've been looking into wireless communication options. I think that the XBee shield will work for me as a starting point, but I'm not sure how I can tell which boards I can use it with.
I suspect it will just be a matter of which headers I want to solder in, but is there a list of which shields are compatible with which controller boards? I was thinking about using the Uno SMD board with the XBee shield. Will this work?

Thanks!

Arduino's come in two sorts, Mega and normal. All shields should work with normal boards like Uno / Duemilanova, most should work with megas (SPI bus can be an issue). When using two shields you have to look out for clashes on use of various pins. Some Arduino boards are too small to physically have shields attached, so avoid them (Mini, Pro Mini, Nano).

OK, thanks. So do you think I will have any problems using the XBee shield with the Uno SMD? I wouldn't think so, but I'm hoping someone here may have used the XBee shield.