ATMEL Mega1284P evaluation board avalible

Would be cool if someone could come up with a core files needed to run this $29 puppy with the arduino IDE:

http://store.atmel.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500272

They supply the needed USB driver, but you have to register for the free download.

Not sure if the bootloader is compatible with AVRDUDE or not, or if it even uses a bootloader.

The mega 1284P is the top of the line 8 bit AVR for us DIP package fans and may be that forever? However it's not the DIP packaged chip used in this evaluation board.

Lefty

Ooh! I agree -- this would be great!

What would you say to an Uno compatible board with shield compatibility, 1284P processor, added RS232 drive capability, and additiona port pins to take advantage of the other port the 1284 offers? I have a design in mind, gonna do it up in eagle tomorrow and come up with a layout.

What would you say to an Uno compatible board with shield compatibility, 1284P processor, added RS232 drive capability, and additiona port pins to take advantage of the other port the 1284 offers?

I'd say you've had this on the cards for a while :slight_smile: I'd also say it's a good idea.

Let us know if you want people to peer review of the schematic.

Rob

CrossRoads:
What would you say to an Uno compatible board with shield compatibility, 1284P processor, added RS232 drive capability, and additiona port pins to take advantage of the other port the 1284 offers? I have a design in mind, gonna do it up in eagle tomorrow and come up with a layout.

I would like it, esp if the dip packaged version was used. Otherwise the 1280/2560 has more bang per board layout.

Lefty

CrossRoads:

Very much what I need. In my particular case, the RS-232 will eliminate the need for one external chip as well! All I'd need is that and a good WiFi solution. Still looking for one. I don't need all the expanded i/o of the MEGA boards, I am really just short on RAM. Do you have a target price?

Would be cool if someone could come up with a core files needed to run this $29 puppy with the arduino IDE

It looks like the crystal is 11.0592 MHz (or something close; I'm having trouble reading the number). Is that the only issue? Modifying an existing core for the "odd" crystal frequency?

Is there a core available for the 1284P family? (isn't it just a big 644?)

Do you picture this core having built-in support for the gadgets?

Okay, here's my draft of the "Bobuino" as I haven't come up with a better name yet. Realized I forgot JTAG & ICSP header, will add those in next.
Am thinking maybe ditch the RS232 connector and just have a header pin block instead, skinny up the board a little more. Than folks can add DB9 of choice (male/female) with a couple wires to a less expensive panel mount part vs board mount connector.
Or leave it, seems like someone is always connecting a GPS or something similar.

Why DIP vs SMD?

No idea on price yet, will run a parts list thru digikey & see what it comes back like.

Why DIP vs SMD?

Just so one could develop the sketch on the board and then pull the chip for a standalone application. No big deal I guess, just more convenient then directly programming the dip in it's standalone home.

Lefty

I think that's one major advantage of the 1284 - you can get it in DIP :slight_smile:

Looks like it could fit, have to see if its routable or not. Kinda jammed up by the SD card driver & RS232 driver.
Still no JTAG/ICSP headers.

mowcius:
I think that's one major advantage of the 1284 - you can get it in DIP :slight_smile:

That was my whole point. I homebrew some of my stuff, but only in DIP version, too old and tired to do major smd hand soldered layouts.

Another question is the 1284 and 644p pin compatable in the DIP versions? An arduino board that could utilize DIP 644p and 1284 would open my wallet, assuming the IDE software could be made to work with it by mear mortals like myself. :smiley:

EDIT: Answered my own question by reviewing datasheets: 644p and 1284 are pin compatible in 40pin dip version at least.

Lefty

For my own personal interest, DIP vs SMD isn't a big deal. I think conceptually I like the idea of DIP as it does afford more flexibility. But, as to the RS-232, for my own (current) need, just some form of header would be even better, as I need (well, want) to get to an RJ-11.

I'd ditch the DB9 and use a header. You can get IDC DB connectors that use ribbon cable so they still look neet and can easily be mounted remotely, makes fitting the board into an enclosure easier and you can swap from male to female without desoldering a connector.

That should route easily (manually of course :)), using the DIP doesn't really make it worse because you can run 2 lines between pins, whereas the TQFP is basically a no go zone for one layer.

Please get rid of the huge USB connector and use a mini B.

Add a jumper (not a solder bridge) for the auto reset so it can easily be disabled.

The headers at the end of the chip are pretty close, Ok if you use a screw driver to remove the chip from the other end but may get in the way of a chip puller.

Crystal too close to the chip, especially with a socket.

I'll shut up now, I guess it's just a quick mock up but thought I'd highlight a couple of things anyway.

Rob

Well, I got the schematic redone for the DIP, added solder bridge fields to route I2C or A4/A5 to the shield header.
Can change the solder bridge things to pins when I see that it routes okay, same with moving the crystal a scooch and pulling the DB9 off.
Will look at the header spacing also, can move if the db9 is gone.
USB change as well.

Just looking at the extra IO header, the rows aren't .1" spaced.

Rob

Wow, this is like watching a baby being born, only not as wet. :wink:

Lefty

Okay, next pass is ready.

5.5/2.1mm power jack.
Mini USB-B for Serial.
Crystal/capacitors for clock generation.
Full Shield compatibility (standard complement of Arduino pins).
RS232 for Serial1 with 4-pin header (Rx1,Tx1, Gnd, 4th is open). Rx/Tx jumpers to disconnect from driver if need Digital I/O or INT0, INT1.
INT2 available at D6.
Jumpers to select between A4/A5 and SCL/SDA at analog shield header.
Two pins added to analog shield header for A6, A7.
New 8 pin header for PC0-7 (includes SDA/SCL, even if jumpered to A4/A5).
(hmm, looks like I lost an I/O pin for PD7 along the way)
SD MMC push-push with dedicated SPI SS line not available else where on the card. Ladyada style design with Write Protect, Card Detect signals.
Seperate 3.3V regulator for SD card.
FTDI FT232RL USB chip with 3.3V to shield.
ICSP header, allows BIT Bang programmig with FT232RL X3 header.
10 pin JTAG header.
Power LED, "L" (D13) LED, Serial Rx/Tx LEDs (not on Serial1).
No onboard reset - connect externally if needed (at shield pins, at ICSP, or at JTAG)
(tho it appears there is plenty of room to add one, guess one pass to put pads in for it).

My only concern is the USB connector - any one know which library part to use that will let what appear to be the shield pads get connected to ground in Eagle?
Here's close up of what I have now.

The cores at http://www.avr-developers.com will work on Bob's board, as will the bootloader.

They would work on the thing from Atmel as well. The only thing that makes an Arduino an Arduino is the bootloader.

CrossRoads:
Why DIP vs SMD?

Another advantage of DIP is that you could make it available as a kit. If the crystal is in a socket then the user can select the speed they like, although i don't know if a crystal in a socket works as well as a soldered crystal.