Portenta H7 doesn't (or maybe it does) get recognized by Windows

Basically I have never worked with an Arduino before but I have a private project with RT needs so when the Portenta H7 was announced I did not waste any time and ordered one. It arrived yesterday and got me all excited but that came to a rather quick stop.

After hours of trying and fruitless googling I now decided to create a new post here:

Hardware is a Portenta H7 with an up-to-date Windows 10 installation. In the past hours I tried Arduino Ide, Arduino Pro IDE and VSC with the Microsoft Arduino extension, different USB-cables (though the one I use is able to transfer data from my smartphone, so I don't think it's a cable issue) and ports.

Basically I started with the Tutorial and got stuck between step 3 and 5. So in step 3 you have to verify the the connection. Needless to say the device did not show up as it should. But I decided to continue since the board appears in the tools port selection (picture 1). When trying to upload the sketch in the blue-green-blinky-mode (whatever that is) it spits out a massive error (error.txt). After that the LED-lights change from blue-green-blinky-mode to fading-green-mode (which is the bootloader mode if I learned that correctly).

2 things seem to change after that: the device manager suddenly shows some cryptic device name (picture 2). Note that the decive name also appears in the screenshot from the tutorial. Also the error I get when trying to upload a sketch shortens to the last section starting at dfu-util 0.9. Trying to install drivers on this cryptic device manually form the Arduino/drivers folder did not work.

I remember at some point Windows prompting me with a successful installation of the Portenta H7 but it does not show up in the device manager as mentioned.

Please help :slight_smile:

error.txt (8.26 KB)

picture 1.png

picture 2.png

Did you try the fix described in the "Troubleshooting" section of this tutorial?:
https://www.arduino.cc/pro/tutorials/portenta-h7/por-ard-gs#troubleshooting

If you're using the classic Arduino IDE, after you put the Portenta in bootloader mode, make sure to check you still have the right port selected from the Tools > Bootloader menu, since it can change. The Pro IDE should automatically adjust the port setting if it changes.

pert:
Did you try the fix described in the "Troubleshooting" section of this tutorial?:
https://www.arduino.cc/pro/tutorials/portenta-h7/por-ard-gs#troubleshooting

If you're using the classic Arduino IDE, after you put the Portenta in bootloader mode, make sure to check you still have the right port selected from the Tools > Bootloader menu, since it can change. The Pro IDE should automatically adjust the port setting if it changes.

Yeah I read and tried the "troubleshooting" and also switched the port if needed.

OK, I have another thing you can try:
Run the batch file at this path:

C:\Users\hendr\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino-beta\hardware\mbed\1.2.0\post_install.bat

This will install the Windows drivers for the Portenta.

You can run it by opening the folder at this path:

C:\Users\hendr\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino-beta\hardware\mbed\1.2.0

and double clicking the file post_install.bat. Note that C:\Users\hendr\AppData is a hidden folder by default so you need to configure Windows Explorer to not hide system folders.

You can also just run this command:

C:\Users\hendr\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino-beta\hardware\mbed\1.2.0\post_install.bat

from Windows Run (Win + R) or cmd.

You'll get a popup "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?". This is normal and expected and you will need to click the Yes button.

When you install an official boards platforms in the Arduino IDE, this post_install.bat is run automatically. However, the Pro IDE doesn't do that. So if you installed the Portenta's "Arduino mbed-enabled Boards" platform using the Pro IDE, the drivers weren't automatically installed, which could cause the upload problem you're having, even if you later try to upload using the classic Arduino IDE.

Thank you very much, that did the trick :slight_smile:

Yay! I'm glad to hear it. Now you get to have some fun seeing what that awesome Portenta can do!

pert:
Yay! I'm glad to hear it. Now you get to have some fun seeing what that awesome Portenta can do!

Off-topic but I wasn't aware this board was already shipping? On the store it shows up as "pre-order" for me.

Also it seems only the default configuration 8MB/16MB can be ordered; how are people getting the board?

Purchased two Portenta H7s, running Arduino 1.8.13, Mac 10.15.5, updated all arduino libraries, and board manger settings match the board/port/programmer settings provided on the blink tutorial.

Am receiving a java error: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program

This happens for both Portenta boards (photo is attached) am able, however, to run the blink sketch on my other Arduino and Adafruit boards

Thoughts would be appreciated

sunmisola:
Off-topic but I wasn't aware this board was already shipping? On the store it shows up as "pre-order" for me.

My guess is that the people who are getting the board now are the ones who already did a pre-order. I don't know whether orders placed now will be immediately shipped, or whether you would need to wait for production to catch up to the existing backorders first (keep in mind the pandemic is still making any sort of physical business operations much slower). If you want one, I'd say get your order in now, so that you will get a board as soon as possible. If you need to get some idea of what the timeline might be for your order, contact Arduino Store support via this form:

surfnm:
Am receiving a java error: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program

For the sake of searchability for others who might have this problem in the future, the full relevant part of @surfnm's error:

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "___REMOVE___/dfu-util": error=2, No such file or directory

In rare cases, something goes wrong during the installation of board platforms via the Arduino IDE's Boards Manager which causes one of the tools dependencies to fail to install. That can result in this type of error. This is definitely a problem with the software on your computer, nothing to do with the actual physical Portenta boards. The solution is to remove and then re-install the package.

Be aware this will remove any boards you have installed via Boards Manager. They are easy enough to reinstall again though.

1. Select File > Preferences from the Arduino IDE menus.
  2. Click the link on the line following "More preferences can be edited directly in the file".
    This will open the Arduino15 (or similar name depending on your operating system) folder in your file browser.
  3. Delete all files and folders under the Arduino15 folder except for the preferences.txt file.
    :warning: Please be very careful when deleting things from your computer. When in doubt, back up!

Now you will need to re-install the boards you just uninstalled:

1. Select Tools > Board > Boards Manager from the Arduino IDE menus.
  2. Wait for the update to finish.
  3. Reinstall the "Arduino Mbed OS Portenta Boards" platform needed to add support to the IDE for your Portenta H7.
  4. Reinstall any other boards platforms you need.
  5. Click the Close button.

Now try uploading again. Let me know if you still have a problem.

Thanks Pert, greatly appreciate your clear and expert advice

My Portenta is up & running ... off to project land !

Blink Sketch

sunmisola:

Also it seems only the default configuration 8MB/16MB can be ordered; how are people getting the board?

I placed my order 4 months ago :stuck_out_tongue: and at this point I have no speacial needs for large storage etc., just want to check if it is suitable for my PLC-project

senums4r:
I placed my order 4 months ago :stuck_out_tongue: and at this point I have no speacial needs for large storage etc., just want to check if it is suitable for my PLC-project

Oh I see, I guess that makes sense.

I think the memory and flash available on this board make it really conducive for larger scale MicroPython projects. Haven't seen anything on the tutorials about setting it up for MicroPython though.

Anyone seen this very well written windows setup of the portentaH7