I have been playing around, off and on, for some considerable time, trying to get my 6 line Batron BT62005P LCD to work on a UNO.
The display has an 18 pin connector which, for the first 14 pins corresponds exactly with a standard HD44780 2 and 4 line style displays.
The difference occurs with pin 15 & 16 not being the back light (that is on 17 & 18)
Pin 15 is designated as E2 (enable 2) and P16 as Vee which the minimal data sheet I have been able to find says is not connected.
I wondered if anyone has come across these displays and has successfully got one working.
I know the displays are good as I saw them working before the equipment they were in was scrapped and in a simple LCD test circuit I can get all the cursor positions to show as black squares briefly on power up (I assume its a self test) and then they go blank.
Any help welcomed
...Pin 15 is designated as E2 (enable 2) and P16 as Vee which the minimal data sheet I have been able to find says is not connected....
By withholding the information that you have, however little that is, you are limiting the number of people who can possibly help you. Someone who has not gotten that specific display to work might still have some good ideas.
I'm not sure what you mean by withholding information as I have given you basically all that I have.
The datasheet I mention holds no timing information nor similar data and the pinouts declarations are the same as the normal HD44780 based displays barring, as I stated, the additional enable pin at position 15.
There is a possibility that the Batron is driven by a Samsung KS0073 driver chip however I can't confirm that and Batron won't respond to requests for information.
However if you think it will help then I suggest you try going to http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dlmain/Datasheets-315/513304.pdf and downloading and reading that even though it's a single sheet with, as I say, no salient timing information
I have tried a partial rewrite of a version of LiquidCrystalFast. h also with no success.
As a point of interest, so far I have discovered many people having problems interfacing Batron LCDs to various processors so at least I'm not unique.
The data sheet in your link indicates that the controllers are KS0073 compatible. The KS0073 appears to be an enhanced version of the HD44780. The basic instruction set is the same although some of the bits that are unused on the HD44780 do have some significance for the KS0073. The KS0073, being a newer chip, should be faster than the HD44780 so using the timing parameters for the older chip should not be a problem.
There are two controllers (hence two enable pins) on your board to handle the extra characters. You will probably find that one of the enables deals with the upper 3 or 4 lines and the other deals with the remainder.
I think that if you want to modify an existing library you should start with LiquidCrystal1 which is an update of LiquidCrystal440 which was designed for devices with two enable pins. To get a copy start here:--> http://code.google.com/p/liquidcrystal440/ (http://code.google.com/p/liquidcrystal440/) and follow the Downloads link to get to the latest version.
I have already tried LiquidCrystal1.0 and had no joy with it.
Having nothing to lose I'll give 440 a try.
I have also tried the system suggested by Julyan Ilett for identifying intelligent LCD operations and even that hasn't helped so far.
It is also interesting how few (apparently none) 6 X 20 displays there are on the market now so there's nothing to compare it to.
If I manage to crack it I will post the information in the vague chance it will be of any use to anyone else.
A very brief update.
LiquidCrystal440 wasn't even accepted by the IDE when I tried to compile and yes I had spotted the spelling error and corrected it in the .h filename. The problem was with the deprecated expression it was using.
Having managed to get a display (of sorts) running using LiquidCrystalFast, the problem appears to be timing related to the read/write times required by the display as I can get line 1 to display, the last character of line 1 repeated on line 2, what should be on line 2 on line 3 and similar problems.
So unless I get the time (and inclination) to start a major rewrite of the library code, I'm sticking with either a single 24x4 display or possible a pair of them running on I2C addressing which I know works fine on my multi-role GPS system.
Batron did finally respond with no more information than I already had.
Interestingly they don't even make a 6 line display any more.