I have a project running on an Arduino Mega 2560, whose sketch uses almost ALL of the 256k memory available. I'm already using PROGMEM to store several k of tables.
Of course, I need to add additional features to the sketch. Is there a hardware option with say 512k of sketch memory? Is there a shield with extra memory? I'm looking, but is there a thread on minimizing program memory?
This is a critical project, so any advice is greatly appreciated in advance.
There are many Arduino boards with 512 kB or more of flash memory.
Here are some of the most popular:
- Arduino Nano 33 BLE (https://store.arduino.cc/nano-33-ble): 1 MB
- Teensy 3.5 (https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy35.html): 512 kB
- Teensy 3.6 (https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy36.html): 1 MB
- Teensy 4.0 (https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html): 1 MB
- ESP8266: Up to 16 MB, depending on which board model you use (the flash chip is separate from the microcontroller so the board manufacturer decides how much memory to provide).
- ESP32: Up to 3 MB
Is there a shield with extra memory?
Extra memory, yes. Extra program memory, no.