Go Down

Topic: Arduino library for WTV020-SD-16P audio module (Read 325936 times) previous topic - next topic

jonrosales2004

Hi, really good work on the code, do you know if there's a way to manage all the sounds with the arduino but be able to change the volume with two push buttons?

Domino60

Hi, I just took an WTV020 and tried to make it work without an arduino, just plug and play.

I follower internet tutorials like  this one
http://www.buildcircuit.com/how-to-use-wtv020sd-music-module-with-arduino/

and i even downloaded their *.AD4 files.
I plugged a speaker 3.3v, GND and a led, tried to make it play with a button or just touching the pin 9 with GND and nothing, I changed SD Cards 1gb ,2gb..etc ever format them in FAT, FAT32, NTFS. I tried everything
theres no coming sound outside the speaker, I ever changed the polarities of the speaker. I pluged out the speaker and put a low voltage led in the speaker ping just to look if there is coming outside any kind of signal (blinking led) and nothing.

that WTV020 start piss me off because i took it for a project and it's pain in the a*s.

Is there another module that is ready Plug and play without any problems sd-cards, audio file format..etc ?

I need just a f**ing simple module that gonna play mp3, wav from a sdcard and that's it not to work on it 10 hours and have no results
To be or not to be? Read a book and you will see.
Join Discord Free_World (Arduino_Room) Live chat
https://discord.gg/bBXEuKQ

Olmer

Feb 05, 2015, 11:32 am Last Edit: Feb 05, 2015, 11:34 am by Olmer
Hi! registered here because can't start the module during 2 last days. I think it is fake or failed the test samples. I buy it from here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/310629013078?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and second from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WTV020-SD-Voice-Module-MP3-Sound-Module-U-disk-Audio-Payer-SD-Card-For-Arduinon-Free/1789995274.html

As we see on photo modules with that kind of inscription, but they send me modules with different inscriptions like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pieces-lot-XD-10-WTV020M01-WTV020-SD-voice-module-SD-card-voice-module-video-game-voice/1809251467.html

I noticed that all who start this module succesfully use this modules like in first two links, where  we see
"WTV020-SD-mini" instead "WTV020M01 V1.00".
Sorry for my english.

Domino60

I came here for the same reason my WTV is not working maybe is damaged not sure.

Few questions :"

1) What's the maximum wattage speaker that i can use with this module without an amplifier?
2) Does the SanDisk SD-Cards work for this module?
3) They work only with *.AD4 format and if yes that's the details that i can use for example the Hz..etc?

I use a 3W speaker without an amplifier so i think that's why i can't hear the sound coming out so as in my "1)" question is what the max wat speaker i can use.

I hope i will get some answers.

Thanks

kiwisincebirth

Problem and Solution:

When I first attempted to get a WTV020-SD-16P to work, I like many people had issues. I tried several board and several 1/2GB microSD cards, until eventually it worked, but not sure what the magic was, put it down to voodoo.

The Problem:

However a discovery (from a like minded builder) is that the SD Card Pin 6 (on the board) is not properly connected. The Spec (for Pin 6) says that it should be connected to GND, but it isn't!!! at least not in the boards that we tested. 

The solution:

The solution is to connect a wire from Pin6 of the SD Card socket to Pin 8 (GND) of the sound module. As I said I cannot take credit for discovering this. See this post showing the wire that was added.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/130197-mactester57s-imac-g5-17-a1058-model-7.html#post986109

And here is the same modification I did to my own board

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncp4wbbuirimjem/IMG_3512.jpg?dl=0

The question is: Is this a design/production fault present in all boards? or just isolated to some boards?

Can anyone test their boards, by using a multimeter to check for continuity between Pin 6 (SD) and Pin 8 (module), and report back ?

If after making this modification can anyone report success with SD cards other than the limited once that are known to work ?

Thanks.

ozzie2005

Problem and Solution:

When I first attempted to get a WTV020-SD-16P to work, I like many people had issues. I tried several board and several 1/2GB microSD cards, until eventually it worked, but not sure what the magic was, put it down to voodoo.

The Problem:

However a discovery (from a like minded builder) is that the SD Card Pin 6 (on the board) is not properly connected. The Spec (for Pin 6) says that it should be connected to GND, but it isn't!!! at least not in the boards that we tested. 

The solution:

The solution is to connect a wire from Pin6 of the SD Card socket to Pin 8 (GND) of the sound module. As I said I cannot take credit for discovering this. See this post showing the wire that was added.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/130197-mactester57s-imac-g5-17-a1058-model-7.html#post986109

And here is the same modification I did to my own board

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncp4wbbuirimjem/IMG_3512.jpg?dl=0

The question is: Is this a design/production fault present in all boards? or just isolated to some boards?

Can anyone test their boards, by using a multimeter to check for continuity between Pin 6 (SD) and Pin 8 (module), and report back ?

If after making this modification can anyone report success with SD cards other than the limited once that are known to work ?

Thanks.

Hi kiwisincebirth,

So you think you fixed it after adding GND to the SD card or you are not sure what fixed it? Can you disconnect the GND wire and check if it still works?

thank you.

Domino60

So you think you fixed it after adding GND to the SD card or you are not sure what fixed it? Can you disconnect the GND wire and check if it still works?
I'd like to know that too because i spend many hours trying to make it ever get out a bip but nothing

husky1976

For me, this module is playing the supplied audio files, as advertised, and it's working with a 2G SanDisk card formatted to FAT 16.  Doing the requisite RTFM, in the fragmented English pdf, it claims a DAC and a PWM output.  I see the analog on the speaker channel, but nowhere can I find or manage to generate the PWM that I'm looking for.

Anyone, anyone?

thanks,

gene

kiwisincebirth

Hi kiwisincebirth,

thank you.
It is hard to remember how and when it was initially. I purchased a WTV module and a single (sands) 2GB SD card, and could not get it to work. I then purchased a second module, and a 1GB (sandisk) card. It was at this time I finally got it to work.

Then I soldered the wire, and now every combination of card and module work for me. I actually don't want to undo the soldered wire to re-test further, that would be a backward step (for me)

If someone was stuck in the position where they couldn't get it to work, if they tried this, then I was hoping for them to report back here. I don't have any other no-name SD cards (that I can find) to test it on. And also I have seen post saying that the SD can can be rendered inoperable (killed) by inserting into the module.

The issue that was discovered (no GND connection to the SD), should actually mean that the module could never work, somehow it manages to work with the Sandisk cards is an electrical miracle.

See also this post, where the information came from.

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/345527#postform
<German Site - See Post in December 2014>

31 12 1GB

jthefreak

Mar 06, 2015, 11:28 pm Last Edit: Mar 06, 2015, 11:32 pm by jthefreak
Hi kiwisincebirth,

I just received my module last week, and sure enough, pin6 of the sd card was not gnd!
I added the mod wire, the the module works (stand alone)
I'm using a 1gig kingston micro sd.

I have another 2gig sd somewhere... I'll try that one out as well.
EDIT - I just tried a 2gig sandisk - works fine as well.
ps. using the 3.3v output from a MEGA for power in case anyone is interested.

Domokunchinta

Mar 10, 2015, 11:54 am Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015, 12:14 pm by Domokunchinta
Hi Guys, to Mr. Rebel agent thank you for sharing this. To everyone, I will just ask if it can be control using serial monitor, as typing in serial monitor can make it play, pause, stop , next and prev, and if possible can this library or the module itself can be volume+ and volume- using serial monitor? Can you teach me the code? I'll appreciate your response. Thank you in advance   :)

sharbon

Can I use wtv020-M01 instead of wtv020-sd-16P?
And what's the differece between wtv-sd-16P and wtv020-M01?

jksemple

Mar 14, 2015, 07:04 pm Last Edit: Mar 14, 2015, 07:56 pm by jksemple
I have several of these Chinese WTV020 modules. They all work just fine and none of them have a short between the module's GND pin and pin 6 of the SD card socket. I couldn't understand why they still work when there appears to be no GND connection to the SD card, so I've inspected the PCB with a magnifying glass and traced the connections.  It appears that pin 6 of the SD card goes through the board to the underside and connects to the collector of a surface mount NPN transistor labelled J3Y (or Y1 on one of mine).  The emitter is connected to GND and the base is connected via a 10k resistor to the BSY pin of the WTV chip.  So it looks like the SD card power is only applied when the BSY pin of the WTV chip goes high. The SD card is disabled when the BSY pin is low.

Shorting pin 6 to GND directly probably won't do any harm but it will cause the SD card to be powered when it doesnt need to be.  It certainly doesn't seem to be necessary to get these modules working. 

I have another WTV020 based module from Embedded Adventures where SD card pin 6 is connected directly to GND so modules vary.

If people have problems getting them to work there are other more likely problems to address:
- I found they are a little sensitive to the type of SD card used - they must be the old style SD cards not SDHC or SDXC so 2Gb is the max although you're unlikely to need more than a few MB.  Just one of 30 cards  I have would not work.
- The type of sound file is much more of an issue. They play WAV files quite happily but not if the bit rate is too high. I found they will reliably play mono sounds recorded in Audacity at 8kHz sampling rate which Windows Explorer shows as 128kbps. However they do play some sound effects that have higher sampling rates. I haven't worked out what the critical factor is.

Hope this helps

jksemple

Mar 14, 2015, 07:08 pm Last Edit: Mar 14, 2015, 07:59 pm by jksemple
A further thought on my post above... As the SD card is being powered via a transistor it will see a voltage that is about 0.6v less than the voltage supplied to the module.  So if the module is powered with 3.3v the SD card will see about 2.7v.  This is the minimum voltage that the SD card spec says should work. This might be why some SD cards don't work so well and why some people have better results if they up the supply voltage a bit. It's also going to be important to make sure the supply voltage doesn't fade when the module draws higher currents. Providing a separate 3.3v regulated supply and a big smoothing capacitor across the module's supply pins will help.

ozzie2005

It is hard to remember how and when it was initially. I purchased a WTV module and a single (sands) 2GB SD card, and could not get it to work. I then purchased a second module, and a 1GB (sandisk) card. It was at this time I finally got it to work.

Then I soldered the wire, and now every combination of card and module work for me. I actually don't want to undo the soldered wire to re-test further, that would be a backward step (for me)

If someone was stuck in the position where they couldn't get it to work, if they tried this, then I was hoping for them to report back here. I don't have any other no-name SD cards (that I can find) to test it on. And also I have seen post saying that the SD can can be rendered inoperable (killed) by inserting into the module.

The issue that was discovered (no GND connection to the SD), should actually mean that the module could never work, somehow it manages to work with the Sandisk cards is an electrical miracle.

See also this post, where the information came from.

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic/345527#postform
<German Site - See Post in December 2014>

31 12 1GB
Hi kiwisincebirth,

Sorry for the late reply. I did indeed find the missing ground as you suggested. I soldered the wire and at least I can hear music this time but not the complete song. It stops after approx. 20 seconds of starting playing the song. It partially works this way  for the following memory cards: one 2G Sandisk and one 2G Kingston cards. It does not work for another 2G sandisk card. They are all being formatted the same way and they all also use the same files. I have no idea what the problem is. I guess I would have to look for a similar module that plays some audio for Arduino.

thank you.

Go Up