Go Down

Topic: using the ft232rl-chip on the board for an extern microcontroller (Read 979 times) previous topic - next topic

Megavie

I usually program PIC-microcontrollers ...
but since the very cheap uart-usb-board I've used for experimenting destroyed itself, I need a replacement and I don't want to wait until a better uart-usb board arrives.

That's why I've pulled out my "arduino duemilanove".
I have tried to make a bridge between the SPI and the UART interface.
That worked, but it doesn't get faster than ~ 260k baud (I need at least 500k baud).

How do I have to wire the RX/TX-pins up, so that my extern microcontroller sends data directly to that chip?
Is it possible to bypass the atmega168 and to directly communicate with the ft232rl chip (=do I have to disable the atmega somehow)?

CrossRoads

Hold the Reset line Low, that kicks the Atmega off the Rx/T lines, gives you unfettered access to the USB's Rx/Tx.
I just bought an FTDI module from oddwire.com (oddwires.com?), arrived pretty quick, pretty inexpensive.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Megavie

Thanks, putting 4.8kO between GND and Reset works just fine.

... oddwires is in the USA, I'm in Germany =)

CrossRoads

Cool.

You could update your profile to show Germany, will help on future parts source suggestions.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up