Go Down

Topic: Computer won't recognize Uno Board. (Read 2970 times) previous topic - next topic

campbellcd1

I have a rather strange problem.
I just bought the arduino board, with high hopes of using it to learn, obviously, only to find that I cannot install the driver, or get my computer to recognize this thing.
I followed the driver installation instructions up until the point it requests that I "Look under Ports (COM & LPT).  You should see an open port named "Arduino UNO (COMxx)""
I have no Com & LPT, folder, and am clueless how to move forward.
I have vista, however unfortunately. haha.
And, i don't know if this means anything, but I can plug up the board, and have a specific circuit run, but I can't do anything technical with the board. Such as sending code to it, and what not.
Any help would be appreciated.

K5CZ

I have no Com & LPT, folder, and am clueless how to move forward.

And can you see any unknown device?

So, try this little trick:
open Command prompt
then write to console two commands (end with ENTER key)
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

this opens Device Manager with hidden devices

At last, click to Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager

campbellcd1

I followed your instructions, and it opened the device manager of course. When it was opened, the only different thing I noticed is that there was an extra "Unknown Device" under the "Other Devices" tab.
Where would I go from there, to get it working with my computer?

K5CZ

Attach Arduino Uno board to computer and then try to delete unknown device (simply using DEL key or the Right mouse button on it). Then use "Find new devices" command.

If nothing happens, the USB port, USB cable or Arduino is faulty.

If new device was found, but not recognized (unknown device), then look into its properties (simply Shift+F10 key combiantion or the Right mouse button on it). Look for HW ID in Details tab - if it will USB\VID_0000&PID_0000 is something wrong in the communication between board and computer. Usualy it is mean, that one of USB wires is interrupted (or is it a cold joint on board) - see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj151572%28v=vs.85%29.aspx for details.

campbellcd1

Thanks so much for all of the help!
It just started working! haha.

Go Up