Go Down

Topic: Creating end-product from Yun (Read 3784 times) previous topic - next topic

liomry

Hi All,

I've ordered my Yun and currently waiting for delivery. My question is this - is it possible to create a "standalone" Yun appliance similar to creating an atmega based product after prototyping on the Arduino or is the Yun just too complex or contain proprietary hardware?

Cheers,
L

liomry

Just to clarify what I'm hoping to create is a either a POE or dc/in + wifi appliance with a web interface, linux will be running apache for the interface. Therefore I would need to recreate both processors and the Yun bridge as well as the circuit.

federicofissore

I've ordered my Yun and currently waiting for delivery. My question is this - is it possible to create a "standalone" Yun appliance similar to creating an atmega based product after prototyping on the Arduino or is the Yun just too complex or contain proprietary hardware?

I'm neither a hardware guy nor a lawyer, but one of the application we think could fit the yun very well is just what you're going to build: a standalone something, either poe or dc powered, placed somewhere, that you can query and command remotely
So, yes: make it and show it to us, if possible

Leonzio

I don't think you can easily replicate a "custom" Yun in your own circuit the way you can do with an Atmega328 after having cooked it in the Arduino Uno used as a programmer.
It's simply too complex in my opinion to manage the Atheros and WiFi chips.

So yes, you can create a standalone Yun appliance, but physically fitting the regular Yun board into it.
Perhaps in the future we might see a "Yun Mini" providing layout and size more suitable for embedding into custom circuits than for stacking shields in the usual way.

Andrea

liomry

Thanks Andrea,

I guess I'll just have to have fun with the Yun for now and look elsewhere for production layouts, I suppose I can always prototype on the yun and attach an atmega based product to a pi or something

Priscilla

I don't think you can easily replicate a "custom" Yun in your own circuit the way you can do with an Atmega328 after having cooked it in the Arduino Uno used as a programmer.
It's simply too complex in my opinion to manage the Atheros and WiFi chips.

So yes, you can create a standalone Yun appliance, but physically fitting the regular Yun board into it.
Perhaps in the future we might see a "Yun Mini" providing layout and size more suitable for embedding into custom circuits than for stacking shields in the usual way.

Andrea

AFAIK, Dragino ms14 (www.dragino.com) use the same atheros chip as Yun and they have ported the Arudino Yun to run in their device. The device has a slot which has the SPI and UART interface. So you can develop a atmel board to it to make it a customized YUN end-point product.

liomry

That's excellent, exactly what I was looking for and open source too, thank you so much

wayoda

AFAIK, Dragino ms14 (www.dragino.com) use the same atheros chip as Yun and they have ported the Arudino Yun to run in their device. The device has a slot which has the SPI and UART interface. So you can develop a atmel board to it to make it a customized YUN end-point product.

For end users they charge 45$ plus 22$ shipping the board to Germany(US even more expensive).
On arrival the German customs will charge an extra 19% import taxes.
So you would end up spending 80$ for a board without the extra atmega already connected.
Does not sound like a bargain to me.

liomry

While this is true for a single board what I'm looking for is a way to mass-produce something once it has been prototyped on the Yun. The best part about Arduino is if you can prototype something, you can mass-produce it since the hardware is simple and open source.

This company provides exactly what I need for mass producing a Yun design, albeit at prices higher than I would like. I will be looking for alternatives but this is good advice, thank you for your input anyway

Priscilla

For end users they charge 45$ plus 22$ shipping the board to Germany(US even more expensive).
On arrival the German customs will charge an extra 19% import taxes.
So you would end up spending 80$ for a board without the extra atmega already connected.
Does not sound like a bargain to me.

If considering this $45 includes an nice look enclosure and power adapter, it is a fairly price to test make a new product to test market. AVR board is of low cost if made by self.

Go Up